Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Flight Flex Foam Planes Yak 55 Great planes

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Flight Flex Foam Planes Yak 55 Great planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Flex Foam Planes Yak 55 Great planes

Well I just got mine in the mail today from tower. Check out the video of this plane! It is under the pic in this link. What do you's think? Has anyone flew one? I am excited to get it together. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Kevin

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKVY7&P=0
Old 02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

Default RE: Flight Flex Foam Planes Yak 55 Great planes

I had one until about a month ago. It was a little cold out for my batteries, and the ESC was hitting LVC quite a bit. I ended up nosing it in and breaking the fuse in half where I had just glued a large rip in one side.
It lasted about 13 months, 50-60 flights, and about 8 repair sessions with a hot glue gun. It was my first quasi-3D-capable plane, and I did learn a fair amount with it. But I grew out of it kind of quickly... The fuselage between the wings and the tail flexes a lot in midflight, with even moderate elevator or rudder control input. As a result, I wasn't ever able to make things like rolling harriers and such look really clean with the plane.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Mr. Mugen

I am not sure what to expect but I know it will be fun. This is my first 3d capable plane.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Maine_Flyer

I had the UcanDo version and it was ok once reinforced .. then got the yak, much better flyer.. get some clear duct tape for the leading egde of the wing and put one piece the entire lengh of the wing prior to assembly.. get a carbon fiber tube (1/8" ) .. hot glue and tape it along the bottom of the fuse from just under the LE to just past the rear servo holes.. do this before you assemble so that things are straight and square before gluing.. the stock motor and gearbox is ok but won't last very long with 3s lipo.. a good setup is a 4200kv inrunner with 6:1 gearing.. mine will rip right out of my hand straight up and hover at half throttle.. I luv this plane.. it isn't the most precise 3d plane, but it will take a serious beating with these reinforcements.. it'll get you over the hump learning 3D.. bring a hotglue gun and more clear duct tape to the field
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Mr. Mugen

I knid of want to put an outrunner on it. Can you recommend one for it? Thanks for all the tips. I will be sure to do them all. Kevin
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

I used [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/800-rpm-v-Outrunner-RC-30-Brushless-Motor-Props-X-3_W0QQitemZ200080730920QQihZ010QQcategoryZ34056QQt cZphotoQQcmdZViewItem]this motor.[/link] BlackDogRC.com sells them here in the states (.[link=http://64.33.154.92/blackdogrc/brushlessEMAXseries.jsp#EMAX2215-25]link[/link]--BL2215-25) but it looks like he's currently out of stock.
My yak came in a little heavy at 19oz, but this motor with anything from a 10x3.8 to a 12x3.8 APC SF prop had unlimited vertical. It isn't really an current hog either. I went out of town once and took the yak and one lipo (2080mAh) with me. I got four 6min flights before I hit low-voltage-cutoff. I mounted it on the stick using E-Flite's outrunner stick mount, part# EFLM1915.
There are probably plenty out there that would work for you, but if I ever buy a replacement yak this is the motor I'd go with again. It weighs about 3 or 4 grams more than my E-Flite Park400 outrunner, but it can put out about 175 watts as opposed to the Park400's 140watts.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Maine_Flyer

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

I knid of want to put an outrunner on it. Can you recommend one for it? Thanks for all the tips. I will be sure to do them all. Kevin
I'm sure there are many that will work and the stick mount should make it easy to mount.. look for one that will turn at least a 10" prop.. 11" even better with a 3.8-4.7 pitch and 200watts.. I like the geared setup for amp draw and flight time.. I get 15min easy with a 2100 lipo.. aggressive 3d to.. and when you slam the deck nose first you won't be bending the motor shaft.. your gonna slam it a few times pushing your limits learning.. if you take my geared setup at 4200/6:1 equates to a 700 KV so look for something in the 7-800kv range good for 200 watts and that should put you similar in performance..

good luck
Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Crash One
My Feedback: (42)

Our setup is similar. I have the Himax 4200 geared 6;1 and was wondering what prop works best for you. I was using an APC 12x3.8, which has great spiral verticals due to the tail flex but was thinking maybe 12x8??
Old 03-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Maine_Flyer

I like the 11x3.8 best.. the higher pitched 47 was not as easy to hover.. the 3.8 has some wicked grunt/torque, better flight times, and just seemed to be the sweet prop for my setup
Old 06-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well I finally got this bird off the back burner last night and readied it for the sky. It balanced perfectly with the 1500mah 3s up against the firewall. I maidened it a few minutes ago and am TICKLED! This plane is great! At least for a newb to 3d it is. I can see lots of fun in the future with this one. Thanks for all the tips and pointers guys/gals. I appreciate it! Kevin
Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Mr. Mugen

I just flew it for another 3 packs and WOW the snap rolls are sharp and fast. I flew in 10-15mph constant winds tonight and it was more of a handful but was still a blast to fly. I can't believe how forgiving it is. I need to run 2 pieces of cf on either side of the fuse yet to get the flex out a little. It starts a knife egde turn but will not finish it. It has plenty of power to do it, it just needs to be sturdier. Kevin
Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 AM
ILoveMinis

basically.....they "flight flex" all over place while your flying.

charger rc.

cr-2. GREAT 3d trainer
Old 10-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well I have over 300 flights on mine now and love it everytime. I always bring it to the field when I take the big ones out. It is a good warm up plane. I think I am going to buy another one and build it so I can feel what it was like when it was new. I took some risks that I am glad I took on this plane when it was new. I used about 20 sticks of hot melt glue on repairing it and now hardly ever crash it unless like tonight when flying in 20mph winds with gusts. I will always have one of these for those days when you only get 15 minutes to fly and need to go now. It travels well and never says no......unlike my ole lady.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Mr. Mugen

Here is a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38183.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	787131