Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Hobbyzone Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:16 PM
homeadeflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbyzone Super Cub

Hi i was just wondering what is the purpose of clipping the wings? I and was wondering would this in anyway be beneficial to me? if so in what way? Also where can i get bigger wheels as my friend brought his down in grass and he bent the landing gear so far back the prop touched and it cracked the battery housing. Also i would like some more durable wheels as my foam ones are already dying after only 10 minutes of practice taxiing. Some almost look pneumatic. Also i was thinking with the super cub's X-port system "paratrooper drop" could you lenthen the wires to put it on the top with a large mylar chute for emergencies so you could deploy it if you entered an inrecoverable dive? Just a quick Q i know what ROG but what does it stand for? I cant figure that out. also would it be worth it to make a balsa wood wing the same contour but just a hair longer to make up for the extra weight be worth it for more stability? Also can u toggle act on and off while flying like if i just wanted to fly and then turn it off to do a loop and then as soon as a i exit the loop turn it back on? also does doing a brushless lipo conversion make sense for this plane? would it be logical to make an exact replica out of balsa wood with a brushless lipo system? Or enter the dreaded relm of nitro engines? The only reason i see to have a nitro plane is there is no recharge time but with a car charger going with a lipo always have one charging while you fly.

Always keep the spinning end forward
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
CubRanger

Default RE: Hobbyzone Super Cub

Wow, lots of questions. Let me try to answer the ones I can:

Clipping the wings, Hadn't heard about this before reading your post. I have been flying without the struts and plan on reinforcing the wings in some way yet to be determined. I use my SuperCub for aerial photography and the struts get in the way.

Bigger wheels: Lots of options, I went with Dubro 2 3/4 inch foam, no effect on flight and I can land on long grass and take off on a gravel driveway. I had to do some modifications to the wheels to have then work with the stock landing gear, but I'm happy with the performance. The gear still gets bent, but following another member suggestion, I just turn them around and fly again. Havn't changed the tailwheel yet

X-port: Interesting concept, I thought about the same thing but hadn't tried it . You could use the existing x-port location to let go of a 'leader' chute that can pull a larger one out from under the rubber bands holding on the wing.

Balsa Wing: Don't see a need. Stock this thing is very stable, just be sure not to over control which is a common error for new pilots and paniced experts.

ACT: It's fine to turn it on and off during flight. I've done it several times. Just remember the ACT isn't a tree avoidance system and it doesn't work well over snow or light sand. Once you get experience it's fun to see just how long it'll let you go before taking over.

Brushless/lipo conversion: Personnally, I don't think so. Like I said I use mine for Aerial photography and have tested it's carrying capacity by taping ever increasing numbers of .50cal bullets to it. It'll fly with over 7 oz on it. I currently have a 3.5 oz and a 4.5 oz and the plane still climbs at over half throttle. I get over 10 minute flights that include several landings and take offs. I've got two standard bats and between deadstick landings, putzin' and flyin' the other battery is charged when I need it.

Nitro: I started off with nitro. The frustrating thing is those things get gummed up and not start. My FW-190 sat for 4 months, I just charged the battery and was flying cover over the cows with no problems. Also I have bad memories of getting my finger smacked with the prop. Your plane will be greasy after flight from the exhaust and they're noisy. For my flying I prefer the electric as it's quiet enough to fly anywhere without bugging people and much easier to maintain. Go nitro, find a dedicated flying field and dive into this hobby head long. Nitro does have it's benifits, but for what you mentioned just get an extra battery or two. Charging is a lot quicker with the charger that comes with the FW-190 or Mustang.

Lipos: these bats have their own issues but when used properly reduce weight and increase flying time. I'd like to stick with the "Batteries for Dummies" method and use the stock. Don't worry about weight with the SC, I find it flys better with added weight and isn't as effected with wind.

My Upgrade: besides the wheels, I'm just going to replace the radio and esc so I have better range and can control my camera better.

Hope this helps
Old 04-22-2007, 03:02 PM
liamflyboy

a brusshles motor and an 8cell lipo made my plane extreamly powerfull but hard to control thus i smashed it into the concrete and decided it was too powerfull so mabe the brushless but i wouldent go lipo

hope this helps
[8D]
Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Krazypilot

I have had the supercub for 6 months and on the original wing. On landings the wing tips would always scrape the gound .One day i decided that i was going to reshape the wing.Tthe wing is now 42' compared to 47' I have noticed that the plane is more manuverable and easier to fly. The Battery life has gone down a little because of this but you can hardly tell
Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM
SackOHammers

Hey you should check out this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4371835/tm.htm

This is where all of us super cub owners are hanging out. Take note.. it is about 190 pages... LOT of goodies in there. Lots of information on modifying wheels, landing gear, even some posts about clipping the wings - and a few pictures.

Also, check out this board dedicated to the super cub:
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/

A lot of us folks are on this board and that board as well. Lots of pictures showing how to do these mods.

Here is an article with pictures showing the new wheels I put on my cub (cost about $15 but can be done cheaper - use electrical tape instead of the brass rod):
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1187757646
BTW, those ideas were not my original, I stole them from other folks on these boards.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 PM
cubnpede82

hey you can get away with no struts as long as the wing's in good shape, i broke mine 2nd flight, bought struts today because of typhoon BL motor, High rates on Tx, and hard maneuvering. I'm thinking of getting another wing and making this one flat so i can add ailerons. any suggestions? also, need a better prop now and don't wanna mod the shaft and use the adapter.