Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Zagi FIXX

Old 02-17-2003, 05:09 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi FIXX

Has anybody got one of these in the air yet ? Looking for some feedback from somebody flying one. I hear it very balance sensitive. Is it an slow STABLE flyer or a handful?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:48 AM
CCRC1

Default Zagi FIXX

Ok, I get the picture, I won't waste my money!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:35 PM
agraves73

Default where in the world is the Zagi Fixx??!

Probably the reason nobody posted is because there is some contention about whether the Fixx is actually available yet. Zagi has been advertising them forever but you can't order them of of their website yet. I know a couple of the online hobby stores are taking orders but I don't know if they are actually being shipped out yet.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:31 PM
KC462

Default Zagi FIXX

They have arrived in Tulsa as of Monday.

From what I gather nearly all flying wings are CG balance sensitive, I know my Mini Speedwing is either a tail heavy pig or a lawn dart if the balance is off 1/16th an inch.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:52 PM
CCRC1

Default Zagi FIXX

Their in the LHS now. Dougs Hobbies in Waldorf has 18 of them.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:24 PM
agraves73

Default Zagi FIXX

So they are finally out! Looks like a nice plane. I'm sure some reviews will be out soon enough.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:26 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Default It's out

We finally got some the LHS here. They look like a nice bird but man is that a small motor and a tiny battery pack. Reading the instructions, yea I read them, it seems like it will go togethor pretty easy. Even has the glue included with the package.

I want to find out about covering it with something. I'd like to make it look different from everyone elses.

:bananahea
Old 02-26-2003, 05:27 AM
CCRC1

Default Zagi FIXX

Well I broke down and brought one home. I can tell you that it is not anywhere near as tough as the 400 series. As a matter of fact it is down right fragile, but it looks to be a good flyer. I have the plane assembled and the new foam they use has some type of rubbery plastic coating on it. They have you use tape to hold down the hatch and the first time you pull it back to access the battery, the coating serrates from the foam. I corrected this by attaching a small piece of lite ply (1/4" x 1/4") in the battery compartment and tapping it for a 4-40 nylon bolt that passes from the top of the hatch.
To repair the damaged skin I used a piece of white monokote trim. As soon as the weather will cooperate I will toss it in the air and let you know.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:42 AM
CCRC1

Default Zagi FIXX

Ok, I had it in the air today. It flys great, but it is fragile. I flew for over 20 minutes with the battery pack that came with the kit. I did spent some time dancing around with some thermals. Its not a rocket ship but it does have sufficient power to do some aerobatics. Overall, its a nice relaxing, slow flying model that I will have a lot of fun with, playing in the thermals in small fields (like the one behind my office!). You do need to be cautious where you land because this foam will damage very easy. My impression, excellent slow park flyer that will not take very much abuse.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:45 AM
P-SmittyRCU

Default Zagi FIXX

be warned when using all those stickers to attach everything. like CCRC1 said, the "paint" tears off really easily. also, make ABSOLUTELY sure that you've properly prepared the surface of the paint before applying any of those stickers. they won't stick at all if the surface isn't cleaned.

the canopy hinge instructions in the manual worked decently for me, but only for a little while until the tape had a bunch of stuff stuck to it. i'm probably going to replace it with velcro.

haven't had decent enough weather since i got it, but will post when it's been flown.