Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Super ultra-light foamie glider wing question

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Super ultra-light foamie glider wing question

Old 02-21-2003, 01:21 AM
Scott_nra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super ultra-light foamie glider wing question

I got the new Foamie v-tail sailer done and test flew it some. The v-tail once set up is rellay cool. Works great. Have to get used to holding up the nose a bit on turning though as it tends to drop the nose in a turn if you don't hold a little up elevator on it.

Anyway. I think I am going to build a different wing for it. The meat tray based on seem to have too much drag with the light weight. Right after throwing all is great. as the bird slows down it begins to loose forward speed and lift and will float down with a very slow but gentle desent but not nearly as much forward movement as I would like.

I think I will take foam board from the craft store and try to make a 48" flat wing with a shallower (narrower) airfoil and more aerodymanyic LE and TE. The Tray based wing has a pretty sloppy TE and very sharp, tall LE shape that I think is the major factor. When it speeds up it looks like it will never come down, but once it looses speed due to that drag...down it comes.

It is amazingly light. 13oz on my postal scale! No kidding. If I can get the lift and speed up it will float like crazey.

Any sugestions?

I'll post some pics later
Old 02-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Scott_nra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super ultra-light foamie glider wing question

This brings me to the new question:

What is a good thermal airfoil for a foamie sail plane. I plan to cover with tape keeping it simple and light. I just need a recommendation for the airfoil itself.