Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

How to repair snapped GWS wing?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair snapped GWS wing?

I hit some power lines with my GWS Tiger Moth, and snapped the top wing in halfway between the outer and inner struts, and the lower right by the fuselage. How do you repair these thin wings yet still make sure it has enough strength? I was thinking 30 minute epoxy, and possibly bamboo skewers on the leading edges, but the weight will start adding up. Any other ideas how to go about this repair?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to repair snapped GWS wing?

If you do it right.... it will be strong, and there will be hardly any weight added, and if there was no support for the wing before then you probably wont need any after.... Unless you just want to add extra weight.....

but this is easier to repair then you think, just take your time and follow these instructions....

Im not sure of the break, I would have to see photo,s they would help...

But its pretty simle...

Take your two halves here it is broke... Line them up on a flat surface they way it should be as if it was not broken... Take you a piece of packing tape run all the way down the break taking care not to wrinkle the tape, and run your finger down it as you apply it,...

alright now flip it over bend the area a little so it splits open but still taped in position, get your epoxy mix ready, apply a good emount but not too much, you will just have a lot of excess to wipe off...

after you apply the epoxy push the wing back to the position it should be in, Naturally a little or lot of epoxy will seep up through the break

takeing your time to make sure the wing is in correct position, use something like a old gift card, or phone card and slide across the break to remove some of the excess epoxy that came out of the crack... then apply apiece of packing tape..... on that side,

set a piece of wax paper down ontop of that, then a book on top of the wax paper, to ensure that it will be held in place as the wing dries,.. wait about 10 minutes and presto as good as new, with only a small amount of epoxy used, you will have a plane with hardly any weight added, and no extra enforcements needed...

be sure to cut with xacto extra tape on ends of wing...

presto your back in air