Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Uncontrolable PicoStick

Old 02-28-2003, 01:09 AM
andro000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uncontrolable PicoStick

Well after having crashed my PicoStick 5 times and re building it 2 times I figured out the problem. The left wing has substantially more "bend-warp" in it than the right.

Oh please, please, how do I flatten out the left to match the right?

TIA :-)

Pics on the way!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:24 AM
andro000

These pics were taken with a cam corder, and captured into stills by way of a WinTV card. This was the Cheepest way of doing this kind of thing. Please forgive me for any poor quality.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58986_26689.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	36760  
Old 02-28-2003, 01:42 AM
andro000

I resized this one. At one end is a book I have those ends of the wings lined up a straight a I could. the "bend-warp" seems to effect the entire leinght of the wing. The differance is about an inch to an inch and a half.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58999_26689.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	36761  
Old 02-28-2003, 02:20 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Lite stick was uncontrolable until I moved the CG forward alot. It would not turn, climb,or fly worth beans until I changed the CG.

Have you tried the thread from the wing tip to the landing gear to straighten the wings out? Would you be able to use the fiber glass tape to pull one wing down????

Dru.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:36 AM
latch66

I modified my pico stick to have a 1/16" dowel running the entire length of both the leading and trailing edges of both wings.

I then ran fishing line across the top of the wings from wing tip to wingtip and from each wingtip to landing gear (left wing to left gear, etc.). I then put another piece of fishing line between the landing gear.

This really strengthened the wing and did not add a lot of weight. Matter of fact, I lost it in the sun on a windy day (10 mph, I know....I know.....not the smartest move I've done in a while :stupid: )and in it went. The fusalage broke in half, but the wings survived unscarred. What's so bad is that I was having a great time enjoying the challenge until I lost it in the sun.

I'll put it back together soon. It's a good plane to fly in the neighborhood. Particularly when you are trying to keep it in a small area and below a certain height.

BTW: I'd check that CG close. Mine flew like a pig until I moved the CG forward a little. It wasn't unflyable, it is underpowered and as a result, it flies like a PIG when it is tailheavy.

And most of the stuff I fly is tail heavy!
Old 02-28-2003, 04:56 AM
Arrow>>-->

I just got me a pico stick recently as well. I had a hard time flying it until I got the CG adjusted corectly then it flew great until a wind gust got a hold of it and slamed it nose first to the ground. It broke my gearbox and killed my motor. I just got a new one that i will be trying out tomorrow.

One problem that I had that I was wondering if anyone else has had is the wings poping out of the mounts. It happened to me twice and now I am thinking I want to tape the wings together so they wont come out. I did add fishing line between the LG and up to the wingtips.

What battery setups are you guys using as well? I am using a 6 and 7 cell 270 mah nicad and a 7 cell 350 mah nicad. seems to run alot better on the 7 cell packs.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:00 AM
Arrow>>-->

Oh and about your warped wing. I cannot gaurantee it nor take responsibilty for any damage----but have you tried a hair dryer or a heat gun to try and it back strait. Or to bend the other one to match it. From what I have heard it flies better with a little more diheadral. It is supposed to turn tighter as well. Just a sugestion for you.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:43 AM
andro000

Hey 5O'clockCharlie,
Old 02-28-2003, 08:58 AM
andro000

OPPS

let me try that again.

Hey Y'all,

I use a 7 cell 350mAh (N cells) batt in my Pico stick, and a 7 cell 600mAh (AA cells) in my Slow Stick.

Once I actually got airborne with a 600mAh (AA sized) 7 cell pack in the Pico to a whopping FOUR FEET :-O

I don't know why, in the 10 to 30 degree daytime weather here in Colorado, but I found that the heat sink for the motor helped the batteries and the loads from getting overly warm.

I think I'll try the dowel and fishing line suggestion from latch66. However I am going to try fiberglass rod instead of dowels.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:25 PM
latch66

Originally posted by andro000
OPPS
I think I'll try the dowel and fishing line suggestion from latch66. However I am going to try fiberglass rod instead of dowels.
CF rods should work great!

I used the 1/16" dowel, because that's all my local Wally World carried. I live 100 miles (one way) from the closest hobby shop.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:28 PM
latch66

Originally posted by 5O'clockCharlie
One problem that I had that I was wondering if anyone else has had is the wings poping out of the mounts. It happened to me twice and now I am thinking I want to tape the wings together so they wont come out. I did add fishing line between the LG and up to the wingtips.

What battery setups are you guys using as well? I am using a 6 and 7 cell 270 mah nicad and a 7 cell 350 mah nicad. seems to run alot better on the 7 cell packs.
My wings popped out a lot too until I did the dowel and fishing line mod. I've never had a wing pop out since. Unfortunately, you can't remove the wings for travel easily with the fishing line mod though.

I'm using a 7cell 300mah Nimh pack sold by Radical RC for my Pico Stick. I'm happy with it so far.

Some of the new Li-poly's would probably be the best choice for the Pico, but I have no experience with them.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Arrow>>-->

I found a couple of 950 mah lithium cell phone batteries I had and hooked them together and charged them up. I took My Pico Stick out Saturday afternnoon in a bit of a stiff breeze. It was the best flying I have ever had. It flew great. I had it up for about 5 minutes then brought it down and tried a landing. Picked it up and gave it another toss and decided to see how long it would stay up there. With the breeze I was at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle most of the time. In fact if I put the nose straight into the wind it would hoover at half throttle. It started getting darker and cold and so after 28 more minutes I brought it back down. I figure i had at least another 7 or 8 minutes of power in the battery. Now I can't wait to try it on a calm day. With less throttle I figure I can putt around for at least 40-45 minutes.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:20 PM
SelfMadePlanes

Default Warp master!

To solve the warp do this; tape them on some frame that fits the shape that you want. Then put them into a stove!
Nice cooked wings
I always do that wen i get trouble with some litespan or foam warps!
Old 04-08-2003, 04:27 AM
jamin
My Feedback: (2)

In the oven at 200 degrees for ~15 min might work...(at your own risk)

Why not use ultra light snap swivels to make wing wires removable and easier to transport??

Just my thoughts>>
Old 04-29-2003, 08:45 PM
skyhawkz

have same problem with GWS Pico Stick wings. contacted GWS support and they recommended the hair dryer approach. Tried it, and a heat gun, didn't work. Melted one edge of the decal...

Please let me know if anybody had success with the oven, and actual time and temperature used.

positive note... plane does fly well as is, just looks funny up close, I agree it's much better on a 7 cell battery. My batt weighs 2 oz.

Have to try those lithium ion's !!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:29 PM
e-bird

My sticks are great after some said dowel on the fus but
i used pice of burch and a glass rod to fit the sq holders for the tail and wing. CU