Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Clik XL

Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clik XL

Here's my larger testbed version of the Clik F3P(31.5"). 52" wingspan @42oz. it's a bit of a porker, but it's meant to fly outdoors. Plan is to make a 80" version. Wanted to test materials out and a higher wingloading out before making the larger one. Using Torque 2814-820/TP 3s 2070/14 x 7E prop. Hovers @ 1/2 throttle so theres enough power there. Should be fun. Will flight test this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91791.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	708276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66369.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	708277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67021.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	708278  
Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Icleanh2o

Default RE: Clik XL

Like the way you think! Contemplated building a Bling using EPP for outdoor use. Looking forward to flight report and video? Nice build, especially the way you lightened and strengthened the nose. Is that 1/64" AG-Ply or 1/32"?

Hope weather is good for test flight, icleanh2o
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 PM
3DownLow

Got my buddy Blake to maiden it today. First flight on 3s was OK. Plane flew great just needed some more ass. Flew the next 3 on 4s, right on target. Needs some slowing down during downlines as anticipated, so some boudary layer additions will be added. Otherwise for a throw it together and see what she'll do plane, it's the bomb diggity! My new 3D/pattern beater plane now! Harriers upright and inverted, no wing rock. Elevator going straight down with no wing rock. Did I mention no wing rock? Sweet. This design does translate well from an indoor foamie to heavier outdoor flyer. So much side area the rudder needed to be toned way down! KE's use about 3 degrees to none on rudder. Transitions to wall are more pivotal not looping. With a little more tweaking this is going to be funnest foamie I've flown. It's only encouraging me to make a 80-100" version! Foam sheets run around 11 bucks, so airframes won't break the bank. The carbon wing tubes and reinforcements will! I used 1/32 ply on the nose and Gorilla glue on everything that needed it. Kind of a sloppy finish, but I don't care. Next one I'll do right and paint and use a little epoxy to keep things neater. Weight was not an issue. Flew great in about 10mph breeze. Great foamie design. I will do some video for sure. My buddy Blake has already put some grass stains on the rudder! He got comfortable with this plane as soon as it was trimmed out. I told him it would take him at least a few minutes before he would be dragging the rudder thru the grass and I was wrong, about 2 minutes! Really a smooth flyer for a flat foamie.
Things to work on:
ESC hot! Need to check again with wattmeter. Probably bump down to 13 x 6.5 prop
Thrust angle: too much down=quess you don't need much on a flat foamie.
Downline speed: not bad-could use a little slowing down.
Need a some more throw on ailerons=using stock long arms on the HS-65MG's, will make some longer carbon ones
Nail down CG=still very forgiving and this plane flies with nose up a little anyway.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:37 PM
3DownLow

Got 4 flights today and still can't wipe the s*&@ eating grin off my face! I love this plane. So controllable and it flies slow enough even for my challenged thumbs. Can't wait to make the big one now! WARNING! These are addictive!!!! KE's are riduculous!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

are you gonna share the plans?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:38 PM
ILoveMinis

i think on the bigger one you should replace all the wood parts with carbon fiber. they make sheets of it so with a little pacience it should turn out good. just a suggestion.
cuz it just looks heavy

but definetly looks fun to fly!!!!

cant wait to see a huge one.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
3DownLow

AUW is about 2.5lbs. Even with no wind it floats. Just what I wanted to find out. Tried to make it as light and simple as possible, but we all know how that usually ends up. Even with the weight it turned out OK(but it's a light plane on the inside!). It was easy and quick to cut everything out in one shot. You bet I'm going with some carbon tubing on the big one! I used 1 carbon stripped balsa spar on the front of the wing and a plain balsa spar for the trailing one. Gorilla glue on most everything, sloppy but effective. Didn't go for looks/superlight on this one, just wanted to see if it was worth making a big one. Yes, I will be working on the big one soon!! I've got another project or two to clear the bench(es). This bad boys' going to take some room to build. Fuse will be at least 90" long. Found some profile fiberglass landing gear that will work too. I will hand launch the big one for sure just for laughs, but it would be nice to taxi around. Looking into the carbon wing tubes now. I'm cutting out a carbon firewall mount for my other big project now from some plate. Love that stuff!! Use it wherever possible. Ouch! it's going to be about 100 bucks worth of carbon alone. Oh well all in good fun!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:42 PM
3DownLow

Here's the newer, larger vortex generators. Hopefully they will provide enough braking and then I'll install the permanent 6mm ones. Will continue to test and shoot some more video soon...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34367.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	712316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27352.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	712317  
Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 PM
3DownLow

Sorry, forgot to post the video on this thread. Started out trying to make a 3D video, but the wind put a stop to that. By the end of the flight the wind was gusting 20+mph and the Clik XL took it like a champ. Next video there will be larger vortex generators added and more 3D stuff thrown in. Blake will tell you this was not his best flying, but it also proves he's an able pilot and the Clik XL can take some breeze no problem.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1365181
enjoy!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

any updates on this? any future for kits for sale? or plans to be released?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 AM
3DownLow

Here's another vid of the Clik XL testing out some props and Vortex Generators. ESC had some intermittent problems traced to a hairline crack in a prop. Will pick up some more APC 13 x 4's and a Xoar to try out too.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/DPK4YGFXMSKHC8FY