Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

mini review- My Hyperflea

Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Flyin C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini review- My Hyperflea

Thought I would so somewhat of a mini review!

What plane can slow down to 3mph, or wizz across the sky at 50mph? I was trying to find the one wing that would meat my expectations, and found the Hyperflea from [link=http://superflyrc.com/]superflyrc[/link]. It is made out of EPP, weighs 6.6oz, and has a thrust ratio of almost 2:1.

The build was very easy, using Hot Glue!! It know what your thinking, hot glue But it works GREAT, the hinges were even made out of hot glue, and the hold up perfectly. I have flown it so much this past week. Flying about 3ft off the ground, doing harriers is a blast. It slows down nicely, and when you want to go fast, just push on the throttle, and the speed range is amazing.

It came in a block of foam, with the cut wing halves, and elevons.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40449.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	733759  
Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Flyin C

Default RE: My Hyperflea

I bought the ''combo, no transmitter'' package becuase the electronis are matched for the best performance package. It inluded-

Berg 4L
Thunder Bird 9 (18amp)
GWS Pico servos
Emax 2840kv Brushless motor
DN 2s 900mah battery
6 *4 prop

Name:	Xu62626.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	733760  
Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Flyin C

One of the main things that the superflyrc line of foam planes call for is Hot glue! The wing halves are even hot guled together, but they are one of the best bonders when it comes to EPP foam. I then cut the prop slot out, and glued the hinges on-

Hot glue hinge method-
Yes, the hinges were made out of hot glue. After lining the hinges up with the trailing edge, I made a bead of glue a few inches long, and thinned it out using a razor. Hold up Great!

Name:	Hf98037.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	733763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65039.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	733764  
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Flyin C

A piece of the block of foam i used to cut out the Vertical Stabs. The manual came with a template-

EPP is very flexible. Another template is for positioning the angle of the verts, do not glue on yet!

Name:	Mk25882.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	733768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92125.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	733769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55890.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	733770  
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Flyin C

This foam is safe for use of almost any paint you can find. Here is my paint job, and verts glued in place using hot glue.

Then I put the Dubro control horns in place, used plenty of glue.

Name:	Ge94576.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	733771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29295.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	733772  
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Flyin C

Then came the motor mounting. The E max motor was screwed on a little plastic peice that was then glued in plane on the back of the canopy.

The servo holes were actually melted into the foam using a soldering iron! It made a nice servo hole. Becuase the main thing about the HF is its weight, it uses thin pushrods that will flex, so the ends of a zip tie were glued to the top so the push rods would not flex.

Name:	Sq47151.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	733777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87114.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	733778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84267.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	733779  
Old 08-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Flyin C

After gluing the canopy to the top of the wing, and stuffing the Rx, esc into the back of the canopy, and attacking th prop, it was done! Build time was VERY fast, and it looks great.
The receiver antenna was embedded into the foam, so it was not hanging off the back very far, I cut very small slits into the foam, and stuffed the wire into it.

And this was my first kit, and my first build.

Name:	Ec87286.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	733780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75717.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	733781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47414.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	733782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14628.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	733783  
Old 08-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Flyin C

and the maiden flight!

I went to the field early to beat the wind, and with that new plane feeling in your stomach, I gave it a throw using half throttle and holding on from the trailing edge. The first few throws were nose in into the ground a few feet in front of me. Then I Messed with my programming and gave her a toss. WOW, it took off really nicely. I flew around for a few minuets, doing loops, posing for the the camera and unlimited vertical climbs. When landing, I brought it in nice a slow, and it just 'plopped' on the ground!

After about a week of flying it, I am doing inverted harriers 4ft off the ground. It is so maneuverable, and the speed envelope is amazing. I can shoot across the field, or point the nose up and do a harrier around myself. Yesterday I accidentally did an inverted pass under my radio antenna!!

Overall, this is one of the best planes I have ever flown or seen. I get comments all the time from other pilots who can not believe how well it flys, and that it is held together using hot glue. Visit superflyrc.com and check it out, Dave who owns it is a great guy. I have enjoyed my Hyperflea so much!!!!

Name:	Ec87461.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	733801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75579.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	733802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89822.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	733803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35128.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	733804  
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Flyin C

Default RE: mini review- My Hyperflea

does anyone now how to contact a moderator? I want to get this thread over into another forum.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 02:23 PM
carmatic1

cool... how many grams or oz. of hot glue do you think ended up on the plane?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Flyin C

hmm. that a hard question. I have heard of people only using two dabs of hot glue to join the wings. I used about a thin stick and half of glue. But I'll tell ya this, the Hyperflea is so much fun to fly, and very strong. I came up from doing and inverted harrier and tip stalled about 15ft off the ground and came down and hit the ground, picked it up and threw it again!

I want to move this thread, does anyone know how to do that??
Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clicking the REPORT button at the bottom of each post is the easiest way to contact a moderator.

On the other hand, occasionally the moderators actually read a thread and stumble across things themselves. Send me a PM about where you would like the tread moved.

ORIGINAL: Flyin C

does anyone now how to contact a moderator? I want to get this thread over into another forum.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 AM
calvino

Flyin C, where do ya fly that sweeet thing, I just learned that on saturday's from 7-10:30 PM at the Rec center across from the metrolink station on LA ave, there is indoor flying, need an AMA mem. to fly, thought I would tell ya if you didn't know, looks cool
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Flyin C

I actually just found out about that! I am going to the one on the 8th. I will be flying the Hyperflea and I do have my AMA license. Will you be there??
Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
calvino

I actually just found out about that! I am going to the one on the 8th. I will be flying the Hyperflea and I do have my AMA license. Will you be there??
to tell the truth, that is my B-day, me, no AMA, would love to check it out. would you recomend it for a TOTAL BEGINNER????????????, I have microsoft flight sim. 98 flying experence and about 2 min. on realfight G3.5 at martys, no flying expernce, looks prety sweet, calvino
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Flyin C

I would say that its a good 2nd or 3rd plane. Just because you can over control it so easily. Its very touchy and ailerons are not easy to learn with, especially on a wing. A sim really helps, but you can find an inexpensive electric trainer that will then teach you the skills for the HF.

And Happy early birthday! I love when B-days come around because thats the only time I get Rc stuff, because of my 14yr old age and lack of $$
Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 PM
calvino

I would say that its a good 2nd or 3rd plane. Just because you can over control it so easily. Its very touchy and ailerons are not easy to learn with, especially on a wing. A sim really helps, but you can find an inexpensive electric trainer that will then teach you the skills for the HF.

And Happy early birthday! I love when B-days come around because thats the only time I get Rc stuff, because of my 14yr old age and lack of $$
yeah, looking into the Super Cub or some trainer like that, what would you recomend??? love to know what people started out with...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Flyin C

I started out with a 2ch plane from Hobbyzone. But know they have much better trainers. YES! The Super Cub is a GREAT plane. It is really easy to learn on, Yet experienced pilots still fly them and do crazy tricks with them so that means it can be a docile flyer, but will also grow with you. Its a great price, everything for $160. 10-15 min flight times a great. And if you can get an extra battery, go with an extra cell so you have longer flights, and be heavier so it can handle the wind better.

The Hobby Lobby Wing Dragon 4 is also a good plane but not near as indestructible as the SC. Can you tell that I like the SC?? Overall its a WONDERFUL plane...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Flyin C

Windy flying with the Hyperflea

I have had my HF for a few weeks, and ever since i got into this hobby 2yrs ago, I ALWAYS, always fly when their is NO wind, because I am scared to crash because of it and my lack of $$ cause of my dang age But today I flew the HF in about 12-15mph of wind, witch is WAYY more wind than I have ever flown in with any of my planes. And it did it very well, I was surprised at how well this 6.7oz wing handled the wind!! I was slowing down very slow when going against the wind, and it was so windy that Some of the control surfaces would not work at certain times. Like after doing a vertical climb and combing down in a spiral, full left aileron barley made it twist!

thanks superflyrc for making such a great plane that we all enjoy so much!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Flyin C

I flew in my front yard!

Last night I wanted to show all my friends my Hyperflea. I have only flown it in school yards, and my front yard is a coldasac, with a Bunch of trees. But I threw her up and with in 20ft I was at full power going vertical to fly above the trees. It was not that fun of a flight since I love coming in slow and low, But I flew around the tops of the trees, did some 'death' spirals with I love doing.

I brought it in low in between some trees and landed in a plant, nice landing
Old 09-01-2007, 10:32 PM
calvino

I flew in my front yard!

Last night I wanted to show all my friends my Hyperflea. I have only flown it in school yards, and my front yard is a coldasac, with a Bunch of trees. But I threw her up and with in 20ft I was at full power going vertical to fly above the trees. It was not that fun of a flight since I love coming in slow and low, But I flew around the tops of the trees, did some 'death' spirals with I love doing.

I brought it in low in between some trees and landed in a plant, nice landing
neat, that is the advantage of a slow plane[8D]
Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Flyin C

Yeah, but I was not going slow! I am not sher If I mentioned this, the the Hyperflea can go about 50mph and up to 60mph after a dive. In a gym I will fly at not more than half throttle, and I will be dragging the elevons on the ground!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 PM
calvino

Yeah, but I was not going slow! I am not sher If I mentioned this, the the Hyperflea can go about 50mph and up to 60mph after a dive. In a gym I will fly at not more than half throttle, and I will be dragging the elevons on the ground!
wow, that is fast
Old 09-02-2007, 04:28 PM
tmackel

Calvino,

My son and I just built our Hyperflea. First flight this morning. It is hot here 104 in the shade.

The plane is great. the CG is a little bit too far forward, but I am working on that later today. We flew in a pretty tight space. Not only is it fast the controls are very responsive with very little input.

-Ted

Name:	Fd91800.jpg
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	755348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38861.jpg
Size:	484.3 KB
ID:	755349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag90996.jpg
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	755350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22449.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	755351  
Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Flyin C

Looks good!

After a few flights under your belt, you will be amazed at how well th HF flys. I have landed it upside down a few times with no damage! But it is great fun going inches above the ground with the nose pointed up high. I touch the elevons on the ground all the time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.