Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

I got mine in the air yesterday. I have the balance point about 3/8 in behind the CG recommended, Its flyable but in the hands of a novice it would be a real handful. I have a TeamOrion Avionics Wind MN brushless in mine. Its rated at 950 Kv and is a little lighter than the RimFire. I had a APC 8x4 prop on mine but I'm going to try the Factory prop next flight session. It wouldn't ROG at our field (very short mown grass). I'll give a report of the next flights I am going to try the CG alittle further forward1/8 inch or so.

Pete
Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM
bzyguy01

Just sent the remains of my Seawind to Hobby Services regarding the wood block coming off during flight.....I'll post the results. I hope they stand behind this little guy. It sure was fun.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

GP ought to replace that defective model...the wing hold down area is one of the models worst features.

I have the magic cure for the wing tip dig in and waterlooping at takeoff...

Remove a slice of the bottom of the tip float. Start at 3/16 above the lower back tip and draw a line forward to about 3/8" above the maximum thickness point of the tip float, which is close to where it starts curving up at the front. I would leave it flat bottoms so it tends to skip off the water.

Now the tips are nicely clear of the water during the takeoff run like a well designed seaplane should have them...

I went from about 1 major swerve every two takeoffs to zero swerves in a 5-6 takeoffs.....it REALLY works.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 PM
ridietz
My Feedback: (7)

Can anyone tell me where to get the Seawind EP. It seems to be on backorder everywhere I look.

Thanks, Dick
Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 PM
newflyer12

hey everyone im new to flying but i want to get into it the only place where i can fly is at my cottage which has alot of water and a bunch of trees so i need a plane like this one. what do you guys or girls think. would this be a good starting waterplane or if not are there any other electric seaplanes that i should look into. well thank you for any feedback it would really help
Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 AM
DougV

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...s/Seawind.html

Doug.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
ridietz

Thanks Doug! Just ordered on line. I wanted to fly it on NY day, but will still be able to fly from the snow before I hit the water.

Happy Landings!

Dick
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
ridietz

Doug, just received an email from Chief Aircraft that they have canceled my order because they are out of stock. Was worth a try.

Dick
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM
dvagge

I am planning to buy the Seawind EP but concerned that the RimFire 28-30-950 doesn't have enough watts to pull it around in Colorado. Is there room in the engine box for a Eflight Park 480? What do others think about the stock motor with a 3s 2100 lipo?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
AJ1202

newflyer, I would not suggest starting your flying experiences with a water plane. water planes are far more difficult to learn than just learning to fly.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
jmupilot

The Seawind EP is easy to modify for other electric motors. I'd have to measure the distance from the firewall to the motor mount but you can easy put a bigger motor than the RimFire they call for. I have a TeamOrion Gust MS in mine and it uses a 4 screw moung unlike the 3 screw mount the RimFire uses. All I did was notce the mount a little so 2 of the screws caught that brace. I'm only using 3 srews to hold my MS in. I'm sure the front plate could be changed to fit the motor you want to install. There is lots of room inside the fuse for just about anysize battery.

Pete
Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
dvagge

Thanks Pete. Probably a stupid question, but does the wood motor box come glued to the engine area or is it glued in by me after I put my motor inside? The manual doesn't talk about that step. If it isn't too much trouble, that distance from the end of the mount to the firewall would be helpful.

Thanks again.
Don
Old 01-06-2008, 01:40 PM
jmupilot

Don, the measurements on the motor box are 1.25" x1.25", and its 1.5" long. These are the inside demensions, the motor box is made of 1/8 ply. As for glueing the front former on it comes already glued, but could be easly cut it away with a dremel tool, and replace it with one to fit your motor in its place.
You could if you wanted build a new motor box and replace the whole thing. as long as you keep the length inside the plastic cowl. Just be warned that any weight you add is behind the CofG and may need to be compensated for in the nose. There is lots of chat about the correct CofG here and it flys fine were they reccommend. Mine is slightly behind that about 1/8 of an inch. 1/8 doesn't seem like much but the wing has a very narrow chord

Pete
Old 01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
dvagge

Thanks very much Pete. I appreciate you taking the time to measure that. The plane seems to be out of stock everywhere, so I have a little time to figure out what motor to put on it. I am looking at the Eflite Park 480 if it will fit. Any opinions about that?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
jmupilot

Don if you look at this pic on GreatPlanes site you'll see the motor mount . http://www.electrifly.com/largeelect...69-motor-2.jpg I dont claim to be a electric guru so I cant say weither the E-flite 480 will work well or not. Looking at the specs for the 480 it looks like it may have a dia that is too large. 1.4 in dia in a 1.25 in sq box wont go. I had a 930Kv on mine first and it flew it but just didnt get the job done if you know what I mean. I now have the TeamOrion Avionics Gust MS motor with a 1820 Kv rating and it flys well at Half throttle. The price of the GP RimFire or the E-flite 480 is twice what I paid for the Gust MS on Ebay. Takeoffs with the lower Kv motor onwater used to take about 200 ft. now it will get off in about 75 and goes straight up if I want. I like the half throttle flying as it give me longer flights. I have the Gust MS with a 8x6 APC, a WOW 20A ESC, and I use CommonSenseRC Li-Po 1250mA 3s 11.1 15c batterys. For the RX i used a Berg 4LS and 3 E-flite mini servos. I checked the Amp draw at full and half throttle settings, 12 A and 9 A. well below the specs for the equipment used. The electronics for the whole airplane cost less than $125 bucks from Ebay and my LHS. Maybe some others can give there equipment used for comparison.

Pete
Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM
dvagge

I came to the same conclusion Pete after I looked over the dimensions you sent. The Park 480 is too large to fit in the mount and would add too much weight behind the CG. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
timid1
My Feedback: (1)

Update to all Seawind EP wanna be's. Just put mine together with factory spec and Electrifly 1500mah. I am apprehensive about the CG as I have 1.5 oz lead in the nose which is what it took to balance on the provided balancer in the kit. I certainly could have moved the battery a little more to the nose but preferred it back to not stress wires with ESC installed in "optional" location (receiver is aft, also which required servo exstentions all around.) It's still cold in Chicago but with the recent warm air the ice melted on the lake and I am itching to try it.

I fully waterproofed both the receiver (baloon) and ESC (silicon rtv). Must now wait for absolute calm water so as to not have to report cart wheel due to wing tip drag.

Has anyone used any other balancer on this plane? If so, please suggest alternate means to check this before I do a nose dive.

Here's an update to my own update: I finally broke out my Great Planes CG Machine. (Actually forgot I bought it and still in original packaging.) Took all the lead out and moved battery as far into the nose as possible and it balances perfectly at factory recommended cg.

Now how do I get rid of all the building rash from working on the stand.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Good read.

I'm old school and wonder how it would handle 6c NiMh pack? Too heavy?

Also, I can fly this booger on the G4 but wonder how the skills would transfere over to the real deal. Talk about some sweaty palms
Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 AM
timid1

my guess is the 6c nicad is heavy. check to see on Great Planes web sit they go as high as a 2100 nicad, I believe. see what the weight is of those larger batteries and compare.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Doubledog

ok,.... Putting in the wish list at Tower now.

Need some help as I'm new to LiPo's. I do have a good charger that will handle up to 5c lipo packs though.

Where is a good place to order the Battery Packs? I'm lost. Do I need a balancer for this as well.? Been to CheapBatteries.com but don't understand these as well as Nicds or NiMh's.

I'd like to order 2-3 packs & be done with it but want them to give decent run times as well.

Many thanks,
Jamie
Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM
timid1

Jamie

I am newbie to electrics so my suggestions are simple. While I have two, now, I have followed the manufacturers suggestions for everything on the Seawind EP. I suggest you do the same. Electrifly products are good and Triton was/is one of the major charger manufacturers. I went with the 1500 mAh battery (GPMP0613). Make sure you get the one's with the balance plugs and make sure you have a balancer or a balancing capable charger. In my opinion, two batteries are a must. Make sure you get a matched pair so that you don't have to rebalance the airplane when you change batteries. READ all instructions first. Post on the forum if you have an issue, somebody will guide you through your charger setup if you have questions.

Regarding the balancer, I think most people have balancers already, but use them infrequently. (Hence my comment that I forgot I had it.) Check on EBay for a used one or here on RC Universe. The one supplied in the kit is ok. I figured out the issue. I was allowing one side to be too close to the airplane and it was binding, therefore giving me inconsistent readings. If you get the 1500 mAh battery it goes all the way forward in the nose, providing you locate the ESC and the Receiver in the optional locations. Exact position will always varry depending on amount of wire (I put extensions on all leads) receiver type (weight), amount of excess silicon you slop on the ESC to water proof, etc.

hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Doubledog

Good read. Better yet... simple, yet informative. Many thanks for taking time to respond
Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 AM
timid1

One other clarification. I refered to a battery balancer when I was discussing the batteries which is different than the airplane balancer refered to in the next paragraph. (Be sure to read with proper context.) LiPo's need to have their cells balanced. So did NiCad's but most of us didn't. I still have NiCad and NMh on two airplanes and two helicopters. I am now exploring converting. What I don't like, however, is that LiPo's really need to be charged outside of the aircraft for fire precaution. I don't like the idea of dismantling and removing the batteries from some of these models as they are neatly tucked away and not readily accessable. Remote charge plugs are no longer a necessary item. What I do like about LiPo is that they last much longer, so I am told.

Gotta walk the dog. -23 wind chill. it will be awhile before I get to try the Seawind. Back to the G4.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM
dansdeals3489

I was lucky and had a friend find me the Seawind EP at a LHS that I do not normally go to. I am going with all the recomended electronics and will see what happens. I am definately looking foward to flying this bird.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 AM
The_Mongrel

Hey All,

I have just ordered this bird ( I pick it up tomorrow) and I have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer.

I have a 1500KV motor that will turn an 8 inch prop and pull over 200 Watts. I take it that will be enough to fly - but my question is more related to the weight of the motor. This baby weighs about 74Gms which is about 20Gms heavier than the recommended motor... do you see that being a problem? I plan on using a 2200 mAh battery in this bird.

The video's make it look easy... but is it hard to land on the water. I have about 6 planes that have landing gear and I get them down without issue... is there much difference.

Any help is great.
Cheers
-J

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.