Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

100% Newbi

Old 08-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Kul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100% Newbi

I'm a 100% Newbi who would like to get into RC plane flying. I bought a cheap foam Power Air Surfer Sky Woolf plane at walmart to learn the basics but that plane just sucks. It has trouble flying even in a low breeze. It is able to climb up to the tree tops in a strait line but because it only has elevators for control the plane drops as a stone when i attempt any turns. It will loose all of its altitude after turning just 90 degrees. In fact, the joystick only has one thumb stick that lets you controll eirther pitch or roll, but not both at the same time. I would now like to learn what plane would you recommend getting to learn how to fly. Preferably it should be easy to maintain and fly while not costing more than $100. The plane should also be durable. I also saw a couple of google videos of planes that have web cameras in them giving you a feeling that you are flying a real plane. I would love to have one of those. I also dont really know anyone who flies these so i will have to learn everything by myself. Because i'm in college and dont have my own car i will not be able to join any RC Plane Clubs. Preferably this plane should fly for over 15 minutes or have cheap spare batteries or quickly charging batteries. Any suggestions?

PS: I have posted this question in another section of these forums but i dont think that was the right section. I think electric RC planes and not nitro is what i'm looking for.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
calvino

Default RE: 100% Newbi

the Slo-v is a good pick, just make shure that there is NO wind. Another really popular plane is the Super Cub, it is $160 but is cheap to mantain, dourable... you could pick one up on EBAY for a cheaper price prob.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

I agree with him. You will have a really hard time picking up a plane for less than $100, but a Supercub or a Slo-v would be very good choices IHMO

Kevin
Old 08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
andrewtexas123

There is always the wing dragon for 110$..

Andrew
Old 08-17-2007, 05:06 PM
SackOHammers

I think in another thread I linked to Kul where he could get the supercub for $115 at myrcsupply. But I think in other thread's he's heard that recommendation a dozen times already. hehe. Kul also mentioned somewhere about wanting ailerons. You -could- consider the minimag or the tigermoth for ailerons....but I'll admin I was too chicken to go ailerons first. You can do-it-yourself and put ailerons on a cub. I think someone linked in your other thread where you can get instructiosn for that. I went for the supercub first... and FMS flight sim.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Kul

there is almost always some wind where i live in so i need something to stay aloft with 5-10mi/h head wind.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 PM
calvino

then spend the xtra mula for the SC, people say it can easily take 5mph+ side winds... with experence. Also, check out sims, no need to worry about wind, rain, snow... Real flight G3.5 is really nice
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Fly or Die

Hey, I felt the same way when I first started. I woul definately look into a Mini-Telemaster. Look at my profile and you can see all kinds of reviews and stuff for it.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Spid

The Wing Dragon RTF is on sale at Hobby-Lobby for $89.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon.htm

The aileron version is $138
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon4.htm

Either would a good first airplane. You could also look at the Hobbico Ventura RTF for $109.99, but that might be a little too quick for a first plane.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGFK0&P=7

As mentioned before, the SuperCub is a good first plane too.

Just some ideas...
Old 09-03-2007, 02:02 AM
hellblastervolly

Im with spid the super cub is the best choice if you like a 3 chanels control. If not you can get a 2 chanel from the same company the HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2 for $84.99 or HobbyZone Firebird Phantom for $59.99, both of this have one stick but you can control them at the same time and have the anti-crash technology. Just my 2 cents.

Fernando
Old 09-04-2007, 01:30 PM
wings 540

Kul, I learned to fly on a HobbyZone Aerobird Challenger. It is a great flying plane and is very durable. I have had it for five years and have never had to replace anything exept the rubber bands that hold on the wing. One battery charge gets about ten min of flight time, it comes with every thing you need to get flying.[link]http://www.hobbyzone.com[/link]

Good luck, and HAPPY FLYING!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Wean yourself away from having a plane with dihedral, once you do, the winds do not affect you nearly as much as they do with it. The problem with these small toy planes has always been with their size, and going micro scale like that, they are going to perform differently then a 3-4' wingspan plane, so not necessarily a true, what we normally fly, RC platform.