Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Zagi Set Up

Old 09-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi Set Up

I bought a Zagi quite a few years ago, back before brushless motors were widely available at a decent price. College got in the way of RC so it sat in the basement for a while. Well, I pulled it back out and the bug has bit me pretty hard all over again. Needless to say, I have been flying the crap out of my little foamie.

My Zagi has a brushed 400 and was built before they offered the CF spars (read all foam). I would like to go with a brushless set up. What is a good combo, or should I just invest in a new wing with the CF spars and brushless motor?

Also, are brushless setups more efficient than brushed motors? And how exactly are these motors sized? 1800kV, 2500kV what exactly does that mean?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:16 AM

Default RE: Zagi Set Up

The KV of a motor is how many RPM per volt. The motors are usually sized by MM. Meaning a 2015.... is a 20mm long, 15 mm diameter motor.

A excellent setup for a Zagi is a HET 4W from www.warbirds-rc.com, along with a quality 35 amp brushless controller (such as a Castle Creations Phoenix 35) and a 3S 2800mah to 3500mah lipo. Put on a 6x4 prop and you will get tons of thrust, and about 90mph top speed. Step up to a 4S battery and you will see 100mph.

If you really want speed, check out www.ohiocombat.com. The 42" Sledghammer I have does 120mph on that setup with 4S 3200mah batterys. It is EXTREMELY stiff, and tough as nails. The build is a little intimidating, but once you do one, its not so bad at all.

Good luck!

Laine.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
RWP
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jhoyda
My Zagi has a brushed 400 and was built before they offered the CF spars (read all foam). I would like to go with a brushless set up. What is a good combo, or should I just invest in a new wing with the CF spars and brushless motor?
If you go brushless with your Zagi you will need to add at least 3 CF spars or your wing will flap. You might be better off leaving your Zagi as is if it flies well and get a WW eRaider for your next wing. http://wingwarrior.com/zen/index.php...products_id=26
The 5 spar version would be a good choice and will not flap. Another choice would be a Ritewing TL50 built the Klick way if you want a great performing wing and speed. It comes with a video for building his method.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 PM

Oooooh, yeah, I missed that you have no spars in yours!!! It would get ugly quick if you upgrade the power system on that plane. Unless you make it much stronger. So, yes, you are better off going with a plane that is designed for speed and strength.

Laine.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 AM

An update, I upgraded the Zagi with a 3-cell lipo and was very happy with the increased flight times and power. I kept the stock 6-volt motor and just ran it overpowered knowing that it would eventually crap out, hey it only cost $8.

I actually ended up augering the plane and broke the ESC, it was then and there I decided a rebuild was in order. I took the trusty Zagi and tore into it, spent three solid nights in the garage working, the wife started to get a little jealous after two.

4 inches were chopped from each wingtip, a 6mm pull wound carbon spar was added to the top, a 0.5mm x 5mm flat spar was curved from tip to tip on the bottom. The battery was buried in foam and a custom aluminum motor mount was built and attached with polyurethane glue. A cheap $16 BP motor (bphobbies.com) and 30A ESC were added and she was ready to go.

All I can say is WOW, this thing screams straight up as long as I want. I absolutely could not believe it; in a 25mph wind to boot! I can’t wait to get home to fly some more.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

hi i just got a new job!!!!! guess were???????????? at the....... video shop in USA,pen-island that means i got three jobs one at the fish'n chip shop, one at the supermarket and at the video shop!!!! i feel so happy!!!!!

[sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=tired.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=stupid.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=sleeping.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=regular_smile.gif][sm=red_smile.gif][sm=redface.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=pirate.gif][sm=omg_smile.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=kiss.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=greedy.gif][sm=frown.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=disappointed.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=crying.gif][sm=cool.gif][sm=confused_smile.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=angry_smile.gif][sm=angry.gif][sm=angel_smile.gif][sm=75_75.gif][sm=72_72.gif][sm=52_52.gif][sm=50_50.gif][sm=49_49.gif][sm=48_48.gif][sm=47_47.gif][&o][:-][X(][][>:][:'(][:@][&:][8D]