Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Another Bluecor Pizza Box

Old 03-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Tommy632

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Bluecor Pizza Box

This foam stuff is a blast!!! This is "Pizza Box 1".

I had a chance to fly this plane in Columbus, OH with the Columbus Indoor Flyers. Great group of people!! Great fun!! Here's a video. Pizza Box 1
Old 03-24-2003, 06:34 PM
KC462

Nice video. Out of curiosity, is that an 8 cell pack? Also, Cg location?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:57 PM
d_wheel

Nice flying. What motor/gearbox/prop are you using?

Later;

D.W.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Tommy632

KC462- Yes that is a 8 cell 370 NiMH pack. In the video I use that for some of the flying and I also used a 3 cell Li-Poly pack. The Li-poly was way better. As for the CG, the photo shows what I thought would be the right set up. It wasn't. I ended up with the battery all the way forward on the velcro strip. I never really checked where it was once it flew stable.

d_wheel- I use a GWS "A" drive with a 10x4.7 prop. Heat sink with thermal grease is a must too.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:43 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

What did you use to attach rudder with?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Tommy632

Originally posted by PaulSwany
What did you use to attach rudder with?
Low temp hot glue gun.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:28 PM
d_wheel

Default GWS "A" drive

I looked on the AeroMicro web site, and can't find reference to a GWS "A" drive. I found "AS" and "AX" but no "A". Could you provide part numbers please?

TIA

Later;

D.W.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Tommy632

Sorry about that. Here you go. http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...cs__803650.htm I have a "D" drive (Lower gear ratio) that I'm thinking of using w/ a 12x6 prop. Try different set ups, you might find one that works better. Be sure to let me know if you do. :rainfro:
Old 03-26-2003, 02:42 AM
d_wheel

Thanks,

You mentioned using 3 LiPoly cells. At full charge this would produce around 12 volts. The motor seems to be rated at 7.2 volts. Did you have any problems with the motor getting hot, or with your speed control? What was your flight time with the LiPoly's?

Later;

D.W.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:14 AM
Tommy632

Well, each Li-Po is 3.7 volts, so your looking at 11.1 total. Yes this is beating up the motor a little and you really do need to use the heat sink. The performance is worth it though. The 2 amp gws speed control handled it just fine. As far as flight time goes, the Li-Po will out last you. I never ran the pack out after about 30 minutes of crashing.......... I mean flying. The pack I used was loaned to me by a friend and I'm pretty sure that for a 2 hour flight session they only bring 2 charged packs. I'm going to make the switch over to Li-Po for my indoor and someoutdoor flying too. They work great in the GWS Tiger Moth too.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:41 PM
d_wheel

Thanks Tommy.

Yes, I understand that the mean voltage for LiPoly cells is 3.7 volts per cell. However, the ones I have read just over 4 volts per cell when fully charged. The 3 cell 800mah packs I have still read over 11.5 volts after 30 minutes of use providing 400mah (powering a video transmitter and camera). That was what I was basing my values on. I am sure that with the higher current draw required by an electric motor, the voltage will drop much faster. Also, I doubt that anyone uses full power more than 20% of the time while flying. This should also help keep current draw and heat down.

Please expand on the "heat sink". Are they available at the same places that cell the motors?

Later;

D.W.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:13 PM
KC462

Just like any battery, the peak voltage at the end of the charge cycle will drop to an average voltage quickly. Usually the first full throttle use will drop the cells to close to the average voltage.

Thanks for the reply. A few of us are building them. A friend had one that just struggled to fly, but is using a 6 cell pack and it just does not produce enough power for its weight for this design.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Tommy632

Originally posted by d_wheel
Thanks Tommy.

I doubt that anyone uses full power more than 20% of the time while flying. This should also help keep current draw and heat down.

Please expand on the "heat sink". Are they available at the same places that cell the motors?

Later;

D.W.
Your welcome and your right about the 20% of the time at full throttle. As for the Heat Sink, there is a heat sink that fits on the motor of the ISP motor. Look here. A note about using these. Use thermal grease (Radio Shack) or Artic Silver (Comp USA) with the heat sinks. I've noticed that without a heat transferring compound the heat sink really did not do it's job of pulling heat away from the motor and remained relativly cool compared to the motor. Another thing that we've been doing to prolong motor life is oil. If you go to your local hobby shop you can find a pin point oiler, most that I've seen are made by Trinity. You just use a small drop on reach end where the bushing is. Don't use to much or it will get inside the motor and coat the comm and brushes. Not a good thing. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by KC462
Thanks for the reply. A few of us are building them. A friend had one that just struggled to fly, but is using a 6 cell pack and it just does not produce enough power for its weight for this design.
Your welcome also. I can't imagine how they stuggled. This "Pizza Box" weighted 7.2 oz with the 8 cell 370 NiMH pack and I was pretty close to full throttle most of the time. The Li-Poly really makes a difference. I'm making a new "Box" now that should be much lighter. I'll have pics up later this week.