Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

STRENGTHENING FOAM WINGS

Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STRENGTHENING FOAM WINGS

Hi guys,
I venturing over into the world of scratch build foamie electrics!! I love to shape and cut foam with a hotwire..I currently use the Tekoa Feathercut system for wings,fuselages and have been building large glow foam aircraft for many years but I'd like to try small electrics!!

I plan on using either pink or blue foam for the airframe and wings but was wondering what technique is best to stiffen up wing panels? I thought of cutting each panel span wise and gluing in a spar. I would prefer not to do it that way but what other ways are there?....I'm thinking of wing panels no bigger than 15-20 inches and smaller...joining the two to give me a total wingspan of 30-40"....

Any help would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks

Tom
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM
calvino

Default RE: STRENGTHENING FOAM WINGS

Glad to hear you are geting into mini electric foams. the different ways you can stiffen a wing is with brown paper and diluted white glue, packing tape, filament packing tape, carbon rods (reduces flex but not crash damage), paint (prob not work to well)
Old 10-07-2007, 06:59 PM
DCT129

Default RE: STRENGTHENING FOAM WINGS

Here are somethings you can use,, go to sporting store and ask if they have any OLD carbon arrows . They work great for spars .
You can also take a sharp knife and cut a small slit in top and bottom of wing and push into this carbon rods . Works great on my 39 inch super zoom!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85562.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	778308