Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
 Help a beginner with some decisions, PLEASE >

Help a beginner with some decisions, PLEASE

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Help a beginner with some decisions, PLEASE

Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a beginner with some decisions, PLEASE

Ok so here's the deal: I'm a heli pilot, been into heli's for a year now. I never started with airplanes, just jumped right into the helicopters... Now I find myself playing with foamies on Realflight and REALLY wanting one, and I'm (almost)ready to buy.

All the guys I fly with have Flatout Reflections, and like them. After doing some reading on this forum, I see that not many people will recommend a Flatout model. I have never seen ANY other foamie in person, so this is all I have for experience thus far.

I'm considering the Airfoilz Yak, or the Bipe. So far, I think I'm leaning towards the Yak cause the Bipe looks alot harder to build, and to be honest, I suck with this sort of thing.

I want to: hover, learn harrier rolls and flat spins, etc., fly outside in light breezes, not spend more than $300 except to buy extra batteries, not build a foamy from scratch(plans, no kit)

This is the deal I'm considering: http://www.3dxhobbies.com/Airfoilz_Y...yak54combo.htm and here come the questions:

1) Should I just suck it up and get the Bipe??? OR are there some other foamies I should be considering???
2) Are the combo deals on 3dx a good setup and price? Or should I just buy everything seperately???
3) If I should buy the Yak or Bipe, which motor/esc combo should I choose, and WHY???
4) Are there any build guides that will help a newbie with NOT screwing up his first foamie build

I've searched a bit and cant seem to find definitive answers for these questions, so I'm relying on YOU RCU members to help me make my decision

Thank you ALL very much for the help.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Help a beginner with some decisions, PLEASE

Building may be the least of your worries! If you have not flown a plane before, I'd recommend starting with a trainer, not with a 3D plane. Your heli experience will help to the extent that you are at least familiar with RC equipment.

- Jeff
Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I have owned Realflight for a year and flown just about every plane that exists for it.... I appreciate the concern but I'm willing to take my chances
Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM

Go with the Airfoilz or take a look at MS composites new bipe or their warbirds. Either way, stick with a plane made of EPP.

Even though you have flown the sim a lot, and helis, you will still crash your plane a few times "getting used to it". Trust me, I did the same thing you are doing. Helis/sim to planes. I crashed, but only a few times until I figured it all out.

Laine.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 PM
My Feedback: (6)

AirfoilZ is the way to go there Combo is good and there are a ton of planes out there that the equipment will work in if you latter want to try something else. But AirfoilZ are the best planes out there in this class.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 PM
My Feedback: (6)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXHe_WQth4

THere is the Yak in action.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 PM

Azlum, take a look at the E-flite Bype YAK.[link]http://www.e-fliterc.com[/link]
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 AM
RWP
My Feedback: (2)

I have both the Airfoilz Yak and Bipe. Both fly great but I think I prefer the Yak. I have a Hacker 20/20 motor but I went with HS65 servos and a Berg 7 receiver and TP 1320 Lipo. These planes are not EPP so you might should consider an EPP first and the Airfoilz as your second plane. These planes will break and not nearly as tough as EPP.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 PM

azlum000 -

Have you flown your Airfoilz Bipe yet? How did it fly?

I noticed you're from Maine, so it occurred to me it might be too darn cold to fly!

- Jeff
Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 AM

I've also just got into electric flight and am having a ball!
Can you get Multiplex out there? If so, have a serious lok at this little beauty - the Gemini. It can fly real slow for getting used to it, but if you push the throttle forward, it becomes VERY LIVELY!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 AM

There are a lot of 3D foamies but very few are EPP (expanded polypropylene). EPP is super tough but at the same time it flexes a lot thus needs a lot of carbon fiber spars. Northeast Sailplanes (NES) has several EPP planes. I own their EPP Ultimate Bipe and the Tuff-e both of which have been dropped from their line in the 30 days. NES still lists an Extra 3D that is EPP.....see http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2795. The EPP will take far more abuse than the flatout foamies but is not nearly as lightweight. Good luck.

Rick
Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 AM

I just got some stuff together for building my first bipe. i got 29.5x39'' foam that looks alot like the EPP but somehow i think it's not. it's 5mm thick instead of the 6mm many ppl talk about. I have a hacker 20/20 and will use 3cell li-po 1800 to 2150mah and towerpro esc 40 amps. Hitec 55 servos It looks (the foam) not very bendable so i hope it will do for this equipment. I am also still looking for a nice plan. It is my first scratch built plane and to be honest....i suck at this stuff also....i've tried building a balsa once but that was a disaster! Anyways, some tips and tricks would be nice! i am running through the forums to get wiser so i hope i'll have it together next week or so. Any tips on good foolproof bipe plans would be welcome! Thanks guys!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM

Toward the bottom of [link=http://www.foamyfactory.com/airplanes.htm]this page[/link], you will find free plans for an Ultimate Biplane in 3 sizes -- 23", 30", and 40". They also have links to several build threads for this plane.

- Jeff