Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Cessna 180(Will not fly)

Old 04-04-2003, 11:54 AM
bandit409

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna 180(Will not fly)

I have a cessna 180 ,foam, from tower hobbies. I have tried tossing it twice each time it went down like a rock, the last time it damaged the receiver. I have replaced the receiver. This time I was going to try taking off from the ground. It does not have enough power to roll on reasonably smooth ground. It will roll on my floor. It is a 550 motor. Does anyone have this plane or have any comments? CG is ok.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

what battery and ESC are you using?
Old 04-04-2003, 06:18 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

I make no pretensions of being an expert with this plane, however word on the street has been that it is horrifically underpowered with the stock driveset. Are you using the setup as per the "ultimate combo" with the 6-cell pack and a cutoff unit in place of the esc? If so, I would recommend first trying a 7-cell pack of the same capacity. Most of my experience is with smaller electrics, but from what I know, it seems that a speed 600 or 05 motor, geared about 3.5:1 with an 8x6 or 9x6 prop would make a world of difference. But, it may be too much thrust if you have only a 2-channel with no ESC and can't throttle back.

I'm sure someone else with experience with this plane will chime in here. In the interest of giving you some ideas, this link may help: http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=198&id=3781
Old 04-07-2003, 06:44 AM
bandit409

I am using a C-50 ems it is for a 500 and 600 motor. Using 1900 6 cell battery. It has a 550 motor in it. Direct drive.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:30 PM
BuzzBomber

Okay, that's a good start. I was hoping you weren't using the 2-channel setup I have found from experience that direct drive is not the best way to go with electrics, except hi-torque motors or pylon racers. Tower has a great planes "GD-600" gearbox for that motor for thirteen bux or so. Of course, you'd have to reverse the leads on the motor to reverse rotation. I don't know what kind of mounting provisions there are on that plane for this gearbox, but I'm sure it can be bolted in one way or another, and would definitely increase the available thrust with the proper propellor. Again, you could leave the motor alone and try a 7-cell battery first. The extra voltage would get higher prop rpms, and it's always good to have more batteris than less, right? Hope this helps!
Old 04-08-2003, 04:44 AM
jamin
My Feedback: (2)

Is it the Kyosho? I have one of these that a man gave me at my local field..it was his second one... He said it would not fly!! I flew it with 6 1100MAH pack..what a dog...so under powered.

Is this your first plane? Stock config is not very good especially for a beginner.

Please let me know the answer to questions and I will try it again and give you input..

Tower may also let you return it for something else as they did for another person at my field.

James
Old 04-08-2003, 06:15 AM
bandit409

Yes it is the Kyosho. Looks like I got burned.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:40 PM
BuzzBomber

I think you only got burned on the motor, but that's just my opinion. This is one of the oldthink electrics designed to use car battery packs. None of these planes (at least the ones I've seen) flew well with the stock setup, but most seem to be surpisingly good withan upgraded motor. If you didn't already, read the link I posted above. Changing motor setups isn't that much work. The Kyosho cessna is a good airplane in search of a motor to match.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 PM
bandit409

buzzbomber:

where can I find the cobalt 035 motor the link speaks of and is it that much different than the ferrite motor. I have a 600 ferrite on order and also the 3.5/1 gearbox, 10x5 prop
Old 04-08-2003, 09:17 PM
bandit409

Just spoke to Tower Warranty Center. They told me to return the Cessna180. If they could not repair it they would send me another plane. I would like to keep the plane if it can be upgraded at a reasonable price.

So any suggestions appreciated.

Bandit409
Old 04-09-2003, 12:58 PM
BuzzBomber

I haven't used one of the Astroflight motors myself, but you can buy them from the factory www.astroflight.com or many other places online if you do a bit of searching. From what I understand, the astro cobalt motors are pricey (upwards of $100) but worth it. Many people now are skipping over cobalt motors in this size range for brushless motors, they are more efficient and powerful, but for the most part far more expensive and require a brushless speed controller. IMHO, the ferrite 600 with the 3.5:1 gearbox and the 10X5 prop you ordered should make a significant improvement. BTW, that seems pretty decent of Tower to offer to fix the plane. Good luck with this setup. Maybe someone else will chime in with their opinion, but I say you're definitely on the right track!
Old 08-29-2003, 10:34 PM
KINGX

try using a Greatplanes c-30 speed control and an 8x4 prop. IT will fly well , like mine.TOSS it hard!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:26 PM
pikebishop

I have this plane and it flies great. run an eight cell 1100 nicad and it will have plenty of zip. after many many flights on this I crashed it and bent the motor shaft, since I already had a speed 400 gd laying around I put that on there and it flew well with this also10/7 apc slow fly prop. I even added ailerons for better turning. six cell car packs don't work well on planes too much weight and not enough rpms
Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 AM
sierra gold

I think one of the least expensive fixes for your "underpowered" situation is to purchase an 8 cell KAN 1050 battery pack.

Cheap Battery Packs:

http://www.unipros.com/battpacks/mai...ssion_id=23703

Their price is $20 for the pack.

Sierra Gold
Old 09-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Gravitysux

Default RE: Cessna 180(Will not fly)

Hey Bandit409,

I am in the middle of upgrading my sons Cessna 180. It flew OK with the stock setup. He was a beginner and was able to handle it after I got it in the air for him. I was surprised it worked as well as it did. The first time we took it out we set it on the ground and tried to take off, it wouldn't even roll at full throttle! So I picked it up and threw it! The thing actually flew and we fly at 5000 feet altitude.

The stock motor then bit the dust and we put a ROAR stock motor on it. Now it would actually roll on the ground and had something similar to power in the air. All this is with 6 cell car packs, (well used ones) and the stock prop.

I am now in the process of installing a Magnetic Mayhem motor and a Master Airscrew 2.5:1 gearbox. It should have plenty of power now!

My suggestion would be to get a cheap ROAR stock motor and a good 8x6 prop. If you have a 7 cell pack try that too. Do watch the Center of Gravity when you change things.

Ray