Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Form Wire cutting Question

Old 12-22-2007, 09:59 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Form Wire cutting Question

Before I ZAP myself, would like to know if I'm connecting this homemade wire cutter correctly (see diagram below). Also, which is the best wire to use Some say nichrome wire and others say never use it. Is 15 volts going to the wire enough to cut the pink form. Thanks for any help or suggestions...Dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93454.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	831785  
Old 12-22-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Form Wire cutting Question

Yup that will work, BUT. I would put a light dimmer switch on the 115v side to control the heat. I just started using an old train transformer. I'm cut some blue foam at a guesstamate of 12v using .032 mosic wire. (unsuccesfully) Have cut white foam in the past successfully though.
Try it and have fun.
Al
Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been cutting foam since the 60s.I use .020 music wire and you do need to control the voltage. different types of foam and different lengths of wire need different voltages. The bow I use the most has 32 ins. of wire and takes an average of 8 volts.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rednekk58

Yup that will work, BUT. I would put a light dimmer switch on the 115v side to control the heat. I just started using an old train transformer. I'm cut some blue foam at a guesstamate of 12v using .032 mosic wire. (unsuccesfully) Have cut white foam in the past successfully though.
Try it and have fun.
Al
How did you get the train transformer to work? I've tried several, an old Lionel which is AC. The wire just buzzed and snapped, never got hot. Then I tried a DC transformer for an N scale set; it got hot and went poof.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Ah, nevermind, turns out an old car battery charger plugged into an outlet with a dimmer switch works awesome. Very easy to make and readily available.