Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Let's start a GWS line.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 PM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's start a GWS line.

AJ1202
Fiberglassing and silkspanning take forever it seems
But the more you do the faster you get and the end result is def worth it
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 AM
angry elvis

hey guys,

im looking at picking up the zero and a corsaire bith slope versions. any suggestions on what motor best suites these planes? anyone tried a few different set-ups? just looking for general suggestions so i can order as many parts as i need at the same time. also GWS has some different mounting brackets, whats the way to go?
any info/suggestions would be a big help!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:03 PM
AJ1202

Elvis I have found that depending on what size prop you want to run anything from a 950 to 1750 KV outrunner work good in the GWS birds
I'm running a range of all in mine, the lower the KV the larger a prop you will use
this will be determined by whether you want all out speed or thrust out the yazoo
the lower KV will give you more thrust and the higher will give you more speed

example I'm running a 1000 KV on my formosa with a 10X3.8 prop I have tons of thrust and decent speed

on my slow stick I have a 1200 KV running a 9X4.7 prop again lots of thrust and decent speed

On my plane I'm building now I'm going to put a 1750 KV and use a 7X4 prop and it's going to scream but be a bit shy on thrust in comparison

I would suggest the higher KV for both the planes you mentioned as prop size WILL be a factor, they both sit kinda low to the ground and you don't want to be swinging a big prop close to the ground

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Angry elvis
You can always go with a geared inrunner and get awesome power and efficiency to boot
I am spinning an 11x 7 prop on my p-40 under 20 amps and can hover with no problems
Speeds are around 55 to 60 MPH
Of course you would run a much smaller prop which is better because you can spin it faster
Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: AJ1202

Elvis I have found that depending on what size prop you want to run anything from a 950 to 1750 KV outrunner work good in the GWS birds
I'm running a range of all in mine, the lower the KV the larger a prop you will use
this will be determined by whether you want all out speed or thrust out the yazoo
the lower KV will give you more thrust and the higher will give you more speed

example I'm running a 1000 KV on my formosa with a 10X3.8 prop I have tons of thrust and decent speed

on my slow stick I have a 1200 KV running a 9X4.7 prop again lots of thrust and decent speed

On my plane I'm building now I'm going to put a 1750 KV and use a 7X4 prop and it's going to scream but be a bit shy on thrust in comparison

I would suggest the higher KV for both the planes you mentioned as prop size WILL be a factor, they both sit kinda low to the ground and you don't want to be swinging a big prop close to the ground

Just my 2 cents worth

Isn't there a lot more to know about brushless motors than just kv #s? What size motors are you using? I have a Formosa and a Tiger Moth 400 coming and I don't have any brushed ESCs so I what to replace the motors in both airplanes. I have a couple 25 amp brushless ESCs around and plenty of 1000 mil, 1350mil, 2250 mil 2S and 3S Lipos on hand. I went to bphobbies and looked at their line of BP outrunners and their BP CD ROM outrunners and not sure what to order. I was looking at BP because I will not buy any high dollar "BLING" motors, and I am done messing around with United Hobbies and their total lack of customer service.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Ron

Old 01-29-2008, 06:44 AM
AJ1202

Hi Ron, yes there is more to the story, always is OK in the BP line up here's the down and dirty, the bp 09 motor is the lower KV at I think 1050, this would turn a 9 to 12 in prop and amps would range from 12 to 21 depending on the prop
the bp12 is around 1200 KV and works well with a 8 to 10 prop pulling around 15 to 22 amps again depending on your prop
the bp21 is a 1750 kv and works good with a 5 to 7 prop and will pull from 13 to 24 amps depending on your prop
Now with all these motors they will turn much slower with a 2S than a 3, so you can and would want to increase prop size when using the 2S
All the above estimates of amp draw is based on 3S batts

The formosa loves speed, and because it is a very nice floater as well throttle control is the answer to slow flights with it, I have found I like the BP 12 as it offers the best thrust and speed ratio for the money, I have run the BP 21 and the 09 on mine, the 09 requires too big a prop and the 21 is short on thrust for hard vertical climbs, I enlarged my batt bay in the formosa and run a 2000 ma batt in it, but it will fly fine with smaller batts, just watch and make sure your CG is right, it doesn't like being tailheavy and will be a handfull

the Moth I don't have but have had a bipe or 2 and the 09 is the key there as you want more thrust than speed

I run 18 amp ESC in all my small foamys so you should be good to go with your 25 amp ESC

I hope this helped
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Yes, Thanks AJ In the mean time I found some SUPPO motors. These motors where tested by Dr.Kiwi on the "other site".
The motors tested are branded as Grayson-Welgard, but they are the same that LightFlightRC sells under the "SUPPO" brand. I am getting the 2212-13 for the for the Formosa and the 2217-09 for the Tiger Moth 400. Both should work great, and I can get them shipped to my door for $40.40, can't beat that.
here is a link to the test.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673626
Thanks again
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
AJ1202

Sounds good, best of luck with your new birds
The formosa is a great flyer but be carefull when you set it up, keep your rates low on the ailerons till ou get a good feel for it, it is fast to respond, I mean very fast [X(]
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 PM
R/C FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Hi here is my list of GWS planes so far... c-47, mustang, Islander, and i just put a 2816-1220 Himax outrunner in my corsair with a 9x6 apc prop ,15c 3-cell it should be NUTS, it wants to tear out of my hands, i am sure it will have unlimited vertical!!! and will be quite fast R/C FLYR
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
R/C FLYR

Hi here is my list of GWS planes so far... c-47, mustang, Islander, and i just put a 2816-1220 Himax outrunner in my corsair with a 9x6 apc prop ,15c 3-cell it should be NUTS, it wants to tear out of my hands, i am sure it will have unlimited vertical!!! and will be quite fast R/C FLYR
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 PM
R/C FLYR

Old 01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
R/C FLYR

Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
angry elvis

im still trying to wrap my head around this prop size volts amps thing.
ive got 5 NimH 7 cell packs (8.4V), i havnt bought into the Lipo batts yet as theyre expensive and i know one wont be enough.
SO, with the NimH packs, and using the 3 blade (2,20€each!) GWS props- (on the rcwarbirds site it says they are 9x7-might be a typo!)
what would be a suitable KV value to look for in a BL outrunner motor?
once i get a grip on this ill be able to figure it out...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Mr. Mugen

I built a Texan and it was fun to build for a foamie. Then I bought a beaver....then a slow stick....and a B2 and a A-10....holy man did I enjoy them. I still have 3 to build. I traded the Texan when I finished it. My buddy Bob stopped by and took one look and said how much? I said no but he pulled his cash out too fast....lol. I will eventually buy another one. It is one of my favorite planes. \

Kevin
Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 AM
AJ1202

angry elvis your going to want a lower KV rating like 950 to 1000 but even with that a 9X7X3 is going to pull high amps, prob close to 20 give or take a couple
Also remember you will need 1 ESC per motor when running twin BL set up
figure 1 batt per motor based on your amp draw to get good perfomance
So if with your prop your pulling 18 amps per motor that's 36 total you need enough batt to handle 40 amps continues draw
Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
angry elvis

what are you running in your corsaires?
want to grab the slope version for this spring and i want it to rip!
if you clocked yours at 100, what were you using for motor+props?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 PM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Angry Elvis
There has been many many hours of work into these corsairs
First of all is the obvious wing clipping
Not as noticable is the thinning of the wing from the semi-symmetrical airfoil to a flat bottom airfoil
The tail sections were also thinned down considerably and the elevators have been clipped short on the width and tips reworked
Both planes have had the fuselage hollowed out completely and the silver and blue one features a modified canopy and area directly rearward of the canopy
The flimsy little elevator wire (U shaped one to hold both elevators) isn't gonna cut it with high speeds
I piece of 3/16 round carbon tube and servo horns make up the elevator controls
Both planes feature no rudder and no landing gear
Carbon wing spars in both airframes
The blue and silver super corsair runs on a 4 cell with a castle 35 and an AXI outrunner
The red and cream one runs a hi-maxx 2816 1220 KV Hacker 40 ESC and a 3 cell both planes fly with an 8x8 APC prop
Both fly extremely well and roll rates are mind numbing with the clip wings
At these speeds the control surface throws are minimum
3/16 on the elevator and 3/16 on the ailerons
40 % expo dialed in
Landings take alot of room as these planes do not want to slow down.....long approach with power off and she glides in on a nice level flight path

I have a GWS a-10 in the works now with over 2.2 Lbs of thrust...this should make an interesting little park flyer...retracts too!
I am currently building a gWS FW 190 with a reworked cowling...(stock way too big) full retracts, split flaps seven servo's total and a hi-maxx 3510 motor
I also have a GWS p-51 mustang that should run with my corsairs with a Mega 16/15/3 amd features reworked canopy, slight wing clipping, ailerons shortened thinned tail surfaces, and removable cowling mod
Also on the bench (I know this list is too long) is another GWS 40 with hi-maxx 2816 contra rotating props..(2 motors inline and 2 props inline counter-rotating)

as a side note the J-10 flies outstanding with the hi-maxx fan setup on a 3 cell lipo

Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM
angry elvis

awesome!
thatnks for takimg the time to reply, im gonna cut and paste that reply and save it for future reference.
ha, here i am thinkin hey what motors this guy got? i wouldnt have thought about clipping, trimming, modifying wing surfaces etc... but very cool,
if you have video, id love to check it out!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Angry elvis
I will see if I can find you one
I know my buddy has one somewheres
I will locate it tonight and post a link
Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Angry Elvis
Here is a vid from the previous owner of the blue and silver corsair
At the time of the vid it is running the same motor I am but on a 3 cell....92 MPH
4 cell bumps it to 105
Also here is a short vid of my FW 190 wing with split flaps and robart retracts

Super corsair
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=super+corsair

FW-190 wing
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812395

hope these work!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
angry elvis

woooooooooooo!
holy shhhhhhhhheeeeeeeettttt!
thats awesome!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Just got the new power system for my new GWS a-4 kit
HET 6904 Fan, Typhoon 2w-23 motor, 3300 Mah 5 cell lipo, Hacker 70 amp ESC
Set-up good for around 850 to 900 watts
Should push this a-4 to over 100 Mph without breaking a sweat [>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92181.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	882163  
Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Azzir325

Taps for my GWs c 47...

I flew it full speed into a stadium light. I hate it when that happens!

That leaves me with just the B 2 ready to fly. I also have a big Tiger moth, a Stearman and a 4 motor cargo to build, but with 10 other planes flying, well, I don't need to rush.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:17 AM
angry elvis

okee..
corsair slope version is in the mail! brushless outrunner also in the mail!

this is what im thinking, maybe you can point out where im going wrong..or right..
motor specs:
Rpm(Kv): 1050Rpm/V Input Voltage: 6 - 22 Vol
Max Currect: 30A
Max Eff: 98%
Rotor Blade: 6 x 4 to 14 x 6

my intention is to run the 9x7 -3 blades that are offered by GWS for their warbirds. (only because they are inexpensive and i dont know of any other alternatives.i tried a couple props on my super cub from the local HS, but being metric the dimensions werent exact, and they were HEAVY scimitar blades, cub did not like them..getting stock hobbyzone stuff here is pain!)

im thinking min. 2000Mah Lipo 11.4 v with 35A ESC.....
now if i go 14V Lipo , am i right in thinking the biggest change i will have to make is the ESC? is need to get one rated for 4 cell Lipo's, probly a 40 A ?
im also eyeballing a wattmeter, maybe watt's up- but in the meantime i wanna try to achieve some kind of basic rules of thumb....
what else would that higher voltage change? i would get a bit more "oomph" , but im concerned about burning out the motor or damaging the batt if i put the wrong prop on. i have tried motocalc and drive calc, but im not confident that i enter the parameters correctly and the suggested set-ups that i get are all for name-brand prods, and im going generic.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Fresnojay76

usmc, I am just getting into RCU but nice to see a friendly face around here. You get that setup installed in the A-4 yet? My new fan/motor setup has been stalled due to funding atm. But did get the thrust tube thrown in mine finally. Hope to get a flight or 3 in sometime in the next few days as the S/O is going out of town to her dads for a few days and taking the kids. Oh and for those who dont know me I have added pic of my GWS A-4. I also have a GWS BN-2 Islander EDF but is in the repair shop. Have had A GWS C-47, and B-2.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43904.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	882967  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.