Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Old 09-16-2008, 07:12 AM
saucerguy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Well, in an attempt to help liven this thread up and to show a little more diversity as to what us RC guys do; I play guitar and bought a used digital mixer/recorder. This thing is cool, it records onto the same memory stick I use for my digital camera, so no need for a computer, in fact, one of these recordings was done with only a few batteries running the gadget, "in front of the Jimmi Hendrix" statue in Seattle. I even had a small adience in the process while doing that one thanking me for the music. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, the trumpet for 15 years prior and during that "lost my ombusher ", it's nice to finally get my work/style recorded, be it, in this case, unedeted and rather raw.

http://espresso-outfitters.com/vodoofun2.wav
http://espresso-outfitters.com/vodoofun.wav
http://espresso-outfitters.com/amazinggrace.wav

Let me know what you think.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 AM
critterhunter

A friend I fly with use my dual boomer So plane as his inspiration for a new boat plane. He had built one before that looked similar but this one looks even closer to the So. Here's a re-post from him...

"The other picture is my sea plane. I don't have a name for it yet, so feel free to give a suggestion if you have a good name. The design is based from Critterhunter's dual boom airplane. The main fuselage is a boat and the booms act as stabilizers. The rudders will extend all the way to the water so I can steer it on land or water."

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70538.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1034453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86485.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1034454  
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM
critterhunter

Happy birthday. I hit 41 in August.

I'm my prior So builds I used a carbon tube in the fuse from nose to tail and the fuse always survived well. Might be a good time to cover the weak points for any newbies to this thread...

On a crash the plane likes to break at the booms right at the trailing edge of the wing, the H-stab likes to seperate from the booms unless you attach it with carbon or something, and the fuse likes to break threw the wing. The way I usualy strengthen these areas is with a "carbon skeleton". Two carbon tubes in the wing near front and back and to the wing tips for the fuse glue to stronger. Carbon tubes in the booms crossing these wing tubes and going to the tail ends of the booms. Flat carbon across the leading and trailing edge of the H-stab and also crossing the carbon tubes in the booms. A carbon tube from nose to tail in the fuse. I also put some flat carbon once on top of the fuse which crossed the wing tubes and that really made it strong there. Using thin balsa Gorilla glued onto the bottoms of the booms and fuse is a good and cheaper way to strengthen them that carbon as well.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Fisher

Sounds like you two are still chugging along nicely. I have been flying my two F-22s and giving the SO a break. I am coming to realize what a good design the SO is even though I liked it before I am truly appreciating its performance capabilities after flying other planes. The Stryker too. I gave a set of SO parts to a friend and he jumped right in building it. I have not seen the outcome but he already took a sanding block to it and says it looks like a goose now. I was too afraid to change anything until I had gotten one in the air and this guy starts modifying his before he is even done building it.

Cheers,
Yep, sure is a great plane. So you are flying a Stryker now too? I don't think you did before? It and the So are my two favorite planes thus far. Did you read my "Bullet Proof" thread in the Park Flyer forum for some great mods on the Stryker? It's the only store bought body I'll shell cash out for these days.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: saucerguy

Well, in an attempt to help liven this thread up and to show a little more diversity as to what us RC guys do; I play guitar and bought a used digital mixer/recorder. This thing is cool, it records onto the same memory stick I use for my digital camera, so no need for a computer, in fact, one of these recordings was done with only a few batteries running the gadget, "in front of the Jimmi Hendrix" statue in Seattle. I even had a small adience in the process while doing that one thanking me for the music. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, the trumpet for 15 years prior and during that "lost my ombusher ", it's nice to finally get my work/style recorded, be it, in this case, unedeted and rather raw.

http://espresso-outfitters.com/vodoofun2.wav
http://espresso-outfitters.com/vodoofun.wav
http://espresso-outfitters.com/amazinggrace.wav

Let me know what you think.
Nice! A friend plays guitar and I'm pretty impressed with how good he is, though he does it just for fun these days. He had more than a few chances with bands that made it big but he kept quiting because he tends to hate other musicians.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM
saucerguy
Banned

Good job with the plane Critterhunter, funny you mention just turning 41, Happy Birthday, I just turned 41 on the 12th of this month as well, how cool is that.

Along the name, how about "Sea Critter" ?

I can relate with your friend big time, with the bands I'd play with in the past, they all just wanted to party, where I'm only there to play, and when it comes to actually recording and organizing stuff for legit use, they were rather clueless, perhaps your friend and I should hook up some time to talk guitar shop. I'm still getting used to the nuances of that mixer, I have a long way's to go to get it to output the quality tone I want from it to translate into an actual recording.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
critterhunter

Got a few pictures of the P38 Lightning to show. The booms and tail feathers aren't glued in yet, and I didn't put the bottom V-stabs on to show. They are sitting on the table next to the plane.

The H-stab, V-stabs, and elevator all have flat carbon in them for strength, and I used Great Planes hinges to join everything. Tail feathers are Cell Foam 88. Still have some glue to clean off.

I'd say this plane is about 80 to 90% scale, as I slimmed the boom width way down and also increased the size of the tail feathers. The ailerons will also be bigger than scale. Wingspan is 42" and uses a slimmed down USA27 airfoil.

This plane is getting two 2409-18D 1100 k/v motors, swinging 8x7 gas props, but I might moved to three blade props later to look more scale. They'll be driven by Super Simple 40 amp ESCs and powered with a 25C 2200ma 3 cell Rhino lipo. RX will probably be a GWS. Servos will be HXT900s.

I'm going to install landing gear so I can stay away from prop savers. Bottom of fuse and booms will be sheeted with balsa for added strength, and the wing already has a fiberglass rod from tip to tip.

Amazing how the So was such a great learning tool on scratch building. Just about all of the build methods I learned and perfected on it get put to use on my other platforms.

Name:	Xv63981.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1035065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63316.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1035066  
Old 09-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Fisher

Critter,

That is a great looking P-38! Got to post some video of the Maiden when it is done. And you buddies twin boomer is very cool too. Any flight photos or video of that?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:52 PM
calvino

man, maybe ill ditch the slow stick as an AP platform for the soo , anyone got an "aprox" on the price of the foam needed, i guess "HXT 900" servos will work (ye old hobby city to the rescue) Nice p-38 crit, gota see a maden of it[8D]
Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Calvino, nice to see you chime in, I feel this thread should be renamed to the free foam flyer club, lol.

This one has proven itself as an AP big time, if you are spending more then $10.00 in foam, you have spent more then necessary, yet you will not regret having extra material on hand for future builds.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM
calvino

right right, so does that explain why ive got like 20 sheets of foamcore board waiting to be de-papered , works good, lil flexi but helps when you touch wings, should get a pic of my first "scratchbuilt" (RCG plans Nasty) flies good, will try and get a video of it, the Soo seems like such a nice platform, slow stick is ok, but no room for a cam..... ya, any good "brands" of foam to look for, should it be "squishy" "dense" (want to know before i burn $$$$ on it [8D]) mm, only motor i have powerfull enough for the Soo is on my nasty, whatever, time for more power systems
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM
critterhunter

Been a while but I figured I'd revive this thread with my latest monster...

Hotwired out my first glider this morning. Screwed up the cut on the airfoil a little but nothing some quick sanding won't take care of. It's forward swept with a 6 foot wingspan.

The fuse is 4 feet long and will feature tail feathers with a raised "T" type H-stab configuration. Always liked the looks of those types of gliders.

Not sure what kind of motor to throw on it. I don't care about any motor driven performance, just something to lug it up to high altitudes for some thermaling. Don't think I've got any free lower k/v motors laying around that I could use for it, and I probably should go with something heavy to help achieve COG. My HXT 35-36 1100 k/v would probably be perfect for it but that's already installed in the FW42.

Love hot wiring EPS. Just about any idea that comes to mind can be quickly cut out, and for pennies worth of foam. Oh yea, this foam was free.

Name:	Om32639.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1039475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20871.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1039476  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Fisher

Critter,

That is a great looking P-38! Got to post some video of the Maiden when it is done. And you buddies twin boomer is very cool too. Any flight photos or video of that?
I think he's got video of his boat plane. I'll ask and throw up a link to it if so. I'll try to get some of my plane up as well. Hasn't flown yet.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
critterhunter

If you are buying from Home Depot or Lowes I'd stay away from the white EPS and go with the pink or blue, it's much stronger and breaks cleaner. On the other hand, if you can get your hands on the white "Falcon Foam" EPS I'm using now I'd go that route. I love this stuff. You might also try looking in the dumpster behind furniture or appliance stores as I think they package those things in this same dense EPS. Also try construction dumpsters as this stuff is used in rafters and such.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

Been a while but I figured I'd revive this thread with my latest monster...
Sorry, that sentence was from another large foamie thread I re-posted the message from here. Obviously this thread has been pretty active.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM
saucerguy
Banned

I still prefer eps, it's spongy and most of all, super light which helps keep the weight down.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 PM
calvino

EPS = packing foam stuff, ive managed to make up a hot-wire tool, now to get the foam and make a Soo , im still considering 2 servo aelerons, i think will retire the slow stick as an 'ap" (potential) plane and make the Soo one, do you guys think its a good idea to put gear on the soo, or no? i guess the prop (if the right size) won't hit the ground, so you could embed tires into the fuse and make it take off....
Old 09-26-2008, 07:26 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Calvino, if you push your hands through a prop as it's not powered up, you will see the corkscrew effect in action, this is really prevolent with the pusher style. I have ran everything from 9/6 - 6/4 and have only broken one prop on any of my so's, so don't worry about clearance unless you just want to add wheels to ROG.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
calvino

ok, ya, ive got an F-22 Raptor (scratchbuilt) and its a pusher, and landing in grass with soft soil underneath helps, ok, ya, i was just thinking if i had a cammera on board, it would be a little bit easier, just another thought, mm, retracts anyone?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Fisher

calvio,

Like Saucerguy notes, there is no reason to worry about your prop hitting the ground on landing with the SO. The only props I have broken were trashed when I hit the ground with power on. Using the SO as an AP platform is a perfect match. This plane will fly very slowly and you can handle plenty of extra weight and drag. The Aiptek 5 in 1 camera works great and the FlycamOne 2 would work great as well.

I have built the SO with both one and two aileron setups. The single aileron works just fine. Using two may give you better control in very slow high alpha flying but it is marginal. No matter what you do with the ailerons you will not get a very fast roll rate out of this plane but it loops like no tomorrow.

Do you have a pic of your F-22 to post. Or a link to a thread?

Cheers,
Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 PM
calvino

shure, i can get one, ok, got a link to the apex 5-1 every time i search for it, it turns up nothing [>:], it got quite "dinged up" the first time i took it out, very fast and fun looking, i had the CG off on ground tests/roll rates reversed (tx end) so that did't help, other than that, its nice, i also have a "nasty" no real vids, just a real bad one of me atempting flight, i will get pics later[8D]

Name:	Om33777.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1041732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20890.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1041733  
Old 09-27-2008, 03:16 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Since my ailerons are oversized, it does snap roll quite well. I like how everything is relative to the center of the plane, this allows for better precision.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:56 PM
calvino

i am considering making a version of the Soo out of de-papered foamcore board, thats alot smaller and lighter, and using it at an indoor flying meet , that would be fun, i guess the "frame' of the Soo (foam) is about $5, not to bad[8D]
Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 PM
critterhunter

My friend Dave who has the farm we fly on has only flown non-standard Challengers, Extremes, and F27Bs. Needless to say the electronics in his planes have often broken down, but this is mainly due to all the crashes he/we've had over the past three years or so. I asked another friend (Alex) to build him a glider type plane using standard electronics, since Dave mainly likes to glide around easy like but will do the occasional stunt.

Alex gladly donated the electronics and built him a plane, using a JR Sport 400 non-computer radio, GWS ESC, 2408-10 (2410-08?) motor, a JR RX, and two Eflite servos. We both donated him a few lipos that could no longer handle the higher amp draws of our planes, and Dave bought himself a HXT8080 lipo balance charger for $25 to charge them.

The fuse is EPS sheeted with balsa on the belly and sides, and the wing is EPS with a carbon tube in it. It flew nice but after a recent wreck which stripped the servos, and then a motor failure which also resulted in the GWS ESC going bad, I decided to do a few mods/repairs and also to updated the electronics.

I removed the Tyvek paper from the wing, trimmed off the trailing edge of the tips where there was some chunked foam, and coated it with Ultracoat to clean up the looks and drop some weight. The wing also needed moved back some so it wouldn't need the nose weight to achieve COG. I threw in a Suppo 30 amp ESC (has an external BEC), two HXT900 servos, and a 2408-21 motor that Alex had re-winded for me, and buried the wires inside the fuse to further clean up it's looks. I also put on a canopy that is hinged in the back and held in the front via two magnets. To match the wing I spray painted the fuse red with H20 paint. Right now the plane is sporting an APC E 8x4 prop, but I'm going to check into something around a 9x3.8 APC Slow Flyer's amp draw. This plane is meant to fly slow and easy and with the amp draw below 16 amps or so to keep it easy on the beat up batteries. The 8x4 E should work fine though, and I think the amp draw with that prop is in the 12 to 14 range.

The hatch in the picture will sit straight but the paint was wet so I couldn't adjust it for the photo. The black canopy outline also needs touched up, but all in all I think it looks pretty good. You can see the hood scoop in the front for air intake to keep the ESC/battery cool, which exits at the top back of the hatch. With the red paint job it sort'a reminds me of a Telemaster. I'm planning to re-maiden the plane today when I bring it back to Dave.

Name:	Xu62617.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1044821  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: calvino

EPS = packing foam stuff, ive managed to make up a hot-wire tool, now to get the foam and make a Soo , im still considering 2 servo aelerons, i think will retire the slow stick as an 'ap" (potential) plane and make the Soo one, do you guys think its a good idea to put gear on the soo, or no? i guess the prop (if the right size) won't hit the ground, so you could embed tires into the fuse and make it take off....
You don't need landing gear unless you want to do take offs, or just raise the motor mount like I did on my last build to have the prop clear the ground so you can rise off grass without landing gear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.