Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

SeaWind EP Problems - Can't get off the H2O!!

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

SeaWind EP Problems - Can't get off the H2O!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SeaWind EP Problems - Can't get off the H2O!!

Being new to seaplanes I wanted to try a cheap introduction to the 'world of water' and bought a GP SeaWind EP.

How in the #@*! do you get this thing off the water?

I have tried numerous times (being a semi-experienced rc pilot) and can't get it off the water. The CG is where it should be, the kit is all stock (except an APC prop), the water is calm with very minor ripples, and when I get it to taxi / take-off speed it suddenly "jams" the nose into the water. I had to repair my motor mount because the force of the impact broke the fire-wall clean off!

Help![:@]
Old 06-02-2008, 04:41 PM
jumper666

Default RE: SeaWind EP Problems - Can't get off the H2O!!

Have you tried toss launching the acft to prove it is flyable?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 PM
apwachholz

Unfortunately I have not been able to get a good day w/out serious wind (below 15MPH) after my first many attempts to give that a shot. I have seen video of this taking off from the ground so rather then risk damage from a bad toss - I'm going to see if it gets off the ground this way first. have you heard (or anyone else for that matter) of any issues like this with the SeaWind airplane? I wonder if I'm just not skilled in H2O take-off's....
Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
jmupilot

HMMMMMMM ,,, cant imagine why you are having a hard time getting the Seawind off the water. Mine is not the stock config but its about the same KV motor and I have no trouble with take off from water or grass. Make sure you are not geting a glitch of down elevator just before takeoff. If you are appling more throttle just before take off then it may be the sudden thrust of the motor that is driving the nose down. The Hi thrustline of the motor WILL cause a drastic downward dip If you hit the throttle hard while in level flight. Mine take about 1/2 throttle to maintain level flight. My takeoff tecnique consists of appling full throttle in a slow manner and after take off speed is reached a small amount of up is needed to break free from the water. Do not go 1/4 throttle for taxi then all of the sudden hit full it Will nose dive on you for sure.

While in level flight at 1/2 throttle if I apply full power it drops a good 3 ft before I can regain level flight and that drop is almost instant. Its just a condition caused by the models design of a tail mounted motor.

Hope this helps you some.

Pete
Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 PM
apwachholz

Muchas Gracias Pete! I'll be sure to follow your advice. It's a good day today so after work I'm off to the lake to give it a try. I think what I may be doing is getting too 'excited' on the stick and hitting the throttle too fast (i.e. the Dip). I also just replaced my elevator servo after it decided to start twitching for no reason (Hmm, perhaps that's what was happening?) I'll be sure to give a full report tonight on how it goes.

In my professional opinion: 99.99% of this issue is pilot error [&:]
Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
timid1
My Feedback: (1)

I am having the same issue on maiden flight. Finally broke water with abrupt up elevator then spiraled in for nose dive. broke wing off. Called GP. They suggested making tha AC slightly tail heavy. Have not had another "glass" day as I want NO wind whatsoever to see what is going on. At first I thought I had failed to peak batteries. That could have been the initial issue. I recharged, then had the above result. One other DUMMY award problem....I had ailleron servo reversed. However, that should not have affected lift off.

After you all get done laughing at the DUMMY, please offer any other suggestions. Otherwise, waiting for calm wind.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 PM
allelectric

I have a seawind EP completely stock. And I have no touble getting it off the water. I have noticed that some of the people are using a 2200 mah or 2000 mah Li-po. I don't know what you are flying with. BUT, I am using a 11.1V 1000mah or a 1230mah. And I get about 7 to 10 minutes in the air. Obviously not doing 3D or running wide open all the time.
My CG is set a 1 1/8 slightly back from the suggested.
The only problem I had was the first time I flew it I lifted off with a couple of porpisses.
did a slow smooth right bank and leveled out and the main wing fell off.
With no waterproofing on the electronics. The only thing I lost was my ESC. (My fault always let electronics dryout for no less than 48 hours)
(I didn't, I just had to try the ESC)
A couple of picks on where my electronics are.
AND HOW I FIXED THE WING SO IT WON'T COME OF AGAIN

I am a intermidiate pilot heres a couple of tips on seawind takeoff and landing
Set all your flight surfaces, Trim as true as possible. Set CG 1 1/8 to 1 3/16. I suggest a 11.1v 1000 to 1200mah Lipo
1. do a short cruise to get the feel of it in the water
NOTE: it doesn't steer well unless its under power
2. Hold up elevator
3. SLOWLY bring the trottle up to around 1/2. Controlling stabilty with the rudder
NOTE: if its trimmed fairly close and balanced side to side
it should start to fly straight still on the water without any rudder input
4. Open her up a couple of bounces and you should be where we are all more comfortable IN THE AIR

Landing:
I found that the seawind does a Great job of Gliding in I basically was flying straight and level about 1/2 trottle 20' to 30' of the water
Cut the throttle clear back. About 8' off the water I brought the throttle up to about 25% to 35%
Really didn't flair at all. With the CG set there it came in at a near perfect attitude.

Nope this helps! And May All Your Landings Be Smooooooth!!! JE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76549.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1636763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42727.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1636764