Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

where to buy foam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Julian Maza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to buy foam?

Where can I buy fan fold foam locally?
Thanks,Julian
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
jdetray

Default RE: where to buy foam?

Julian -

Home centers such as Lowes and Home Depot may carry Dow Protection Board III, which is Dow's replacement for the much beloved BlueCor. The main difference between the two is that BlueCor had a plastic film on both sides of the product, whereas Protection Board has the film on only one side.

The product is intended to be used as house insulation installed under siding, so you will generally find it in the siding or insulation section of the store. It is 1/4-inch thick and comes in bundles of 25 2x4 foot panels, which are in a continuous fanfold arrangement. See below.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50491.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	985138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76271.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	985139  
Old 07-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Julian Maza

ok thanks. when i went to lowes and home depot they only had realy thick sheets. I'll go and look harder next time i go.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
arsenic0
My Feedback: (2)

I am starting to wonder if this stuff is getting phased out?

I went to a local Home Depot and Lowes and they didnt have this stuff either. I should say they DID have

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...348&lpage=none

But thats 1/2" thick and its rather rigid so i dont see how it would fold even if you wanted too...I really wanna find a spot to buy this stuff locally ..

Anybody in Portland, Oregon area happen to find any?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 PM
draftman1

I am also having a hard time getting it. I am going to go to my local lowes and see if they will bring some in for me from another store. hopefully there wont be any shipping for a store transfer. the new part number is 127129. you can
type this number in and look at the stores and see if they carry it. I had a guy in oregon gona check there by portland and they didnt have it. it nust be a very large store or the climate area that carries it
Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 AM
soarhead-RCU

Another supplier of fan fold is Allied Building Products. Do a Google for a store near you!!! Their are 6 or so in PA As I understand it they are mostly wholesalers but will sell to individuals sometimes also. I was walking my dog some months ago and came across a crew installing siding on a house an saw the FF on his trailer. Ask him where he got it from.... Was the good stuff with moisture barrier on both sides also. Paid him $30 for a bundle, got my old van and picked it up and smiled all the way home.

Good Luck
Bob
Old 07-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Fisher

Apparently Bluecor Fanfold is not normally sold in cooler areas of the country as thicker foams are required for construction in these areas. You can however asked you local Lowes or Home Depot to order it for you and they usually will. Looks like Lowes is calling it something new. Bluelinx

Bluelinx
1/4" x 48" x 50' Fanfold Sheathing

Item #: 127129 Model: 669153
Old 07-26-2008, 12:09 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: Fisher

Apparently Bluecor Fanfold is not normally sold in cooler areas of the country as thicker foams are required for construction in these areas.
I must disagree. I bought my first bundle of BluCore in New Hampshire, one of the colder areas in the country! It was often -20°F and colder where we lived. BluCore was widely available.

- Jeff
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM
arsenic0

Apparently Bluecor Fanfold is not normally sold in cooler areas of the country as thicker foams are required for construction in these areas. You can however asked you local Lowes or Home Depot to order it for you and they usually will. Looks like Lowes is calling it something new. Bluelinx

Bluelinx
1/4" x 48" x 50' Fanfold Sheathing

Item #: 127129 Model: 669153
You saved me!

The Lowes near me is full of people that have no idea what they are doing or what they sell, going to the store, calling nothing worked they just stared at me blankly or told me to talk to someone else.

I looked this stuff up and its available at the very same store i was at earlier today looking for it. I just bought a bundle online for local pickup at that store in 2 hours, and it better be there! [:@]

The only other people i could find with FFF were Allied, but not the local store..the one 2 hours away..and i wasnt about to make a 4 hour trip without some more research locally...you just saved me 20-25 bucks in gas and half a day
Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
arsenic0

Just an update:

Dont trust Lowes in Hillsboro Oregon...

I ordered it online for pickup, drove 20 minutes there. They stared at me blankly as they looked at their computer showing 44 in stock at their store but nobody(and they asked like 8 people) knew what it was or where it was..we wandered around for 15 minutes..

Never did find it, just got my money back..but i did waste an hour of my life ..

Sigh..time to start looking again..

I did contact the next closest store, and the guy immediately knew what i was talking about but they dont have any and said they usually dont because the stores up here are smaller than the ones ...

I cant believe it but i think its going to be easier for me to get 2mm Coro for planes than FFF here in Oregon..kinda getting frustrated dealing with these idiots at Lowes ...
Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Fisher

ORIGINAL: jdetray

Apparently Bluecor Fanfold is not normally sold in cooler areas of the country as thicker foams are required for construction in these areas.
I must disagree. I bought my first bundle of BluCore in New Hampshire, one of the colder areas in the country! It was often -20°F and colder where we lived. BluCore was widely available.

- Jeff
jdetray,

Disagree all you like but unfortunately what I have been reading lately implies that it is hard to find in northern areas. I never said it was impossible simply stated it was "not normally sold" in these areas. arsenicO's experience is more and more common.

arsenicO,

Very sorry that it did not work out for you. I bet if you called that store back and spoke with a manager during the middle of the week he/she could get a bundle on order for you with in store pickup once it arrived. Might take a week or so to ship but I have heard they will get it sent up. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 AM
arsenic0

I have some more leads i am following up on.

Bluelinx actually lists several consumer level distributors in the area for their insulation products.

Now i just need to call them on Monday and see if that includes the FFF or not...

* Extruded Polystyrene Board (XPS): uses an extrusion process to make a tough, dense board. Extruded board has very low water absorption properties, which make it highly suitable for below ground application.
* Polyisocyanurate Boards (ISO): typically a layer of polyisocyanurate foam between two sheets of aluminum foil. It is also available with various other facing materials. Polyisocyanurate sheathing generally provides the greatest R-value per thickness.
* Block-Molded Expanded Polystyrene Boards (EPS): Molded EPS is available in various densities and can be laminated to a variety of products to meet virtually any jobsite requirement. It can be laminated to foil, paper, OSB, wood fiberboard and perlite. Initial R-value remains stable for the life of the product.

Those are the three types they offer...if i had to guess what we want would be a 1/4th" EPS product....
Old 07-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Fisher

arsenic0,

Of the three descriptions I think you should be looking for the XPS in 1/4". EPS is expanded foam beads, looks more like the typical packaging foam that would make a real mess when broken apart, lots of little foam beads.

Extrusion will make a smooth thin sheet.

From what I know of the FFF stuff it should be an extruded product.

Look at jdetray's second photo in post #2 it says right on the product Extruded Polystyrene Sheet.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
arsenic0

None of the local dealers of Bluelinx seemed to have it, a few nicer than others mentioned that they typically never order anything that thin, usually just the larger 1 or 2" 4x8 sheets you can get at any Lowes or HD...
Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Fisher

arsenicO,

Was anyone willing to order some for you?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
arsenic0

Unfortunately no, but i did score...

Someone on another forum was travelling up north to WA for work and was getting some for himself on his way home(same city as me) so he picked me up some!

Finally getting some results!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Fisher

arsenicO,

Very glad to hear you scored a fix for your addiction!

Have fun.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:20 AM
scottyskybolt
My Feedback: (23)

Is the pink board the same as the blue just a diffrent maker?It's made by owens cording I belive.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Fisher

scottyskybolt,

Pink foam is different but can be used in the same way. One is denser by just a bit compared to the other. I do not think that there is enough differance to worry about though.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Ion01

I was just at my local hobby lobby the other day and they had 3mm,4mm, and 6mm depron.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 AM
flyer50

Try this place: http://www.rcfoam.com/ for depron foam, all sizes if you can't find the type you are looking for.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
paynezoo

Go to Rcfoam.com
For combat wings get EPP foam,it is indestructible. Depron is also great
Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 AM
calvino

if you want say, "foamcore board" check the Dollar Tree chain, you can get some nice stuff (with easy to strip paper, how nice is that) for $1 a sheet, i was able to make a profile F-22 raptor out of 1 sheet
Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
no smoke

I have found a place in Eugene, Oregon that sells the fan fold foam. Allied Building Products at 3285 West 1st Ave space B, Eugene, Or. Phone is (541) 343-6918 and the product number for them is 69380020. The description is DOW HI-PRFRM FANFOLD P/P 1/4 IN. You will spend about $55 for a bundle. Good luck. D-
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

not sure how useful this bit of info is for you guys, but i recently moved and when at the local uhaul i noticed large unmarkd bags of epp type packing peanuts. i asked to salesman where they got them from and found that there is a local plant here in town that makes them for them aswell as other companies. i spoke to someone from the plant and found that they sell all types of stryofoam, like epp, depron and such in a wide assortment of sizes and thicknesses. id suggest trying something similar if your intrested in experimenting with different foams for custom builds. i personally havent ha to purchase any foam from the plant as the women i spoke to told me where the scraps dumpster was so i dug around and found some good pieces. as i said not sure how helpful this bit of info would be for any of you but if some of you wanted to look into it, you might be able to order and sell these sheets online. id do something like this but dont have the means to set up any type of online sales. chris