Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Electrajet - looking for advice and feedback

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Electrajet - looking for advice and feedback

Old 05-19-2003, 09:46 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Electrajet - looking for advice and feedback

Anyone have experience with the Electrajet from E-Flight? I just bought one off of e-bay, brand new, for $43. Need 2 servos, a battery and a receiver for it which I will pick up this week.

http://www.parkflyers.com/html/electra_jet.html

So, has anyone flown one of these? What do you think of it.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Blair 61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There
I have an Electrajet and just got another today in the mail. I like the plane. It does not fly real fast but will take a dive very quickly. But I am new and not the best plane to learn on. I bought my servos and receiver from officeshop. Went together very easy. Had a friend that is big fan of electric fly it and he seemed to like it also.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 12:10 AM
kennydee

Default Electra-Jet

I've owned two of these, crashed the first one, didn't check the radio(up was down and down was up) but let's not talk about that. You need a little flying skill to fly this plane. It is a good alieron trainer. Start with short throws on the elevons(by the way, you will either need a radio with elevon mixing or delta mixing or a delta mixer plugged into the reciever). I fly mine using an 8 cell square "U" pack, similar to the battery pack in your radio. My batteries are 700 milli-amp and I get 5 to 8 minute flights(nicads). I think this kit is designed for the JR 241 mini-servo's and that's what I have in mine. If you use a radio with delta mixing, then you will need servo extensions. You can get a plug in delta mixer from E-flite for only a few dollars more than what the servo extensions would cost. This plane looks great in flight. It's not aerobatic but you can do a loop if you dive for speed. It will also roll if you set the throws high enough. On your first flight, hand launch the plane at full throttle firmly straight ahead and level. Also, make sure you have a little up trim on the first launch. Make gentle turns at first and keep the nose up. Make a long approach on landing and land with a little speed, again keeping the nose up. Hope this helps, enjoy the Electrajet.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:11 AM
aeajr

The one I ordered comes with the mixer.

I fly an Aerobird now. T/R/E so I thought this might make a good alieron trainer. Glad you said that.

I was going to go to a $200 glider next and decided that this was probably a better step.

I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:01 PM
kennydee

Default Gliders

I still have my aerobird and I still fly it occasionally. Speaking of gliders, I'm not sure they make good trainers. A purpose built glider has a long wingspan and a very long glide slope. You actually need quite a bit of room to get a glider back on the ground. You might also consider the GWS E-trainer, they are inexpensive(about 40$ for plane, motor and hardware). This plane has rudder, elevator and ailerons. By the way, you got the electra-jet for a very good price.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:28 AM
aeajr

Would the 7 cell 900 mha pack that I use in my Aerobird fit in the Electrajet or does it have to be a flat pack?

The Aerobird pack is two rows of 3 cells standing with one cell standing at the end.

Here is a picture

pack:http://h1070229.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=HBZ1013
Old 05-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Tasmania

Yes AEAJR the 7 cell pack from the Aerobird fits great in the Electrajet. I flew one today

I've been reading the threads for a month, my first post I started my first venture into r/c on the Aerobird 8 weeks ago, just got the Electrajet yesterday, it isn't new and has much tape and glue flew it today for the first time with the Aerobird 7 cell X Pack and it works great, very touchy after the Aerobird though, tendency to over control. I also have a Thunder Tiger Sparky that also works on the same 7 cell pack. good luck with the Electrajet and have your 5 minute foam glue ready

Taz
Old 05-28-2003, 08:01 PM
MAC_2111

Hey Guys,

It is great to hear that the aerobird battery pack works
in the electrajet. I also got an Elctrajet off ebay 3 weeks ago,
I have been reading these forums since the fall and this is
my first post. I've had a firebird xl for a year and I have 5 batt
packs(another ebay score). Does it require any mods or does it fit right in? How's the flight time, not as long as the aerobird I
would imagine?

Also, what are you guys using for radios?

Thanks!

MAC_2111
Old 05-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Tasmania

Hi MAC_2111, the Aerobird 7 cell just fits right in the Electrajet with no mods, although the guy who owned the electrajet before me had broken the nose off several times in several places and has been glued a lot.

not sure on the flying time it was very windy yesterday, I only had 2 short flight of about 2 mins each as it was my first time with the Electrajet, the guy that owned it before me was there yesterday, he has a 10 cell and an 8 cell, hes had them both in the electrojet, when he saw it he said it was going as well if not better with the 7 cell Aerojet batteries in. If I new how to post a picture I would

I'm using a JR Quattro as a radio.

cheers

Taz
Old 05-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Blair 61

I have a 7 cell in mine and it will fly about 5 min maybe longer if I would throttle back I have Tendency to forget and leave it wide open. They fly good at slow speeds also. I use a futaba conquest with mine and a GWS receiver. I have also crashed and the tip about the instant epoxy is correct. You can be back flying by the time the battery is charged.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:16 AM
kennydee

Hey guys, I hadn't thought of putting Aerobird, XL Nimh packs in the Electrajet. Like a lot of flyers, I have several of those packs. The six or seven cell Aerobird/XL pack will fly the plane at least as long but at slower speeds. Think of the voltage as horsepower and the miliamps as gas in the tank. The Aerobird/XL packs have about 900 milliamps, but only 7.2 to 8.4 volts. The Electrajet was designed for the 8 cell square "U" pack or 9.6 volts. I think the plane flys better with the 9.6 volt packs(nicad or nimh). Still, the lower voltage packs might be better for beginners with this plane. Make sure you place the pack so the plane balances at the recommended point (8.5 to 8.75" from the leading edge of the wing or from where the wing meets the fuse at the front).
Old 05-29-2003, 02:31 AM
Blair 61

This might sound strange but that hole in front of the battery hold $1.50 in quarters and does balance it quite well. With 7 cells
Old 05-29-2003, 03:23 AM
aeajr

Quarters in the nose. Sounds like a great hobby. Now we put money straight into the planes.

My Electrajet has not arrived yet, but I will be using GWS Naro+ servos and a Hitec Prism 7X radio that I just bought used off of e-bay.

Not sure yet, but will either use my Hitec Supreme 8 receiver that I got with the radio, or will buy a Hitec 4 or 6 channel receiver to save 2/3 of an ounce. Don't know if it is worth it though.

Will start with Aerobird 7 cells to get off the ground initally, but may pick up some 8 cell batteries after a while.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:31 AM
c hardy

Hello.
I shaped / heated a wire and then removed some foam from the battery compartment so I could get the proper c/g on my electrajet and I love it. It is my first aleron plane and I find it easy to fly and would highly recomend to all.
I use 600mah n/m packs and 600 nicads all 8.4v but I cant wait to get my new 9.6v nm packs.
I find this plane so reliable even I can make it land where I want jently.
C Hardy
Old 07-18-2003, 02:21 AM
aeajr

This is great news. Thanks for your post.

Mine is still not build. I jumped past it to go to a 2 meter glider. I will come back to the electrajet in a few weeks I think.

Happy flying.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:04 AM
WildRivers
My Feedback: (1)

Hello All...
If this was already covered and I missed it in the posts, please forgive the repetition.....
I have quite few of the actual E-flite batteries, all of them are 8 cell, 700 mAh, 9.6V. Has anybody used this exact size battery? If so, what was your experience, how did the ElectraJet handle? Do you remember how long of a flight time you got out of these batteries? I also have several of the 7 cell packs for the Aerobird, which I will be trying out when the ElectraJet is ready to fly. What is the largest battery anybody has used in the ElectraJet so far? Just some questions to give me food for thought.
Thanks for your time.
J.R.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:59 AM
aeajr

I finally built the Electrajet today. I am just finishing up the electroncis. I hope to try the first flights this weekend.

Any last minute tips?

I would like more info on where people are putting the CG. The marks seem to be further back than the instructions indicate is correct.

Help!

I will be flying with 7 Cell Aerobird packs and 8 cell NIMH packs.

Also, how do you have your components laid out inside the plane?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Blair 61

I had to install $1.50 in quarters in the hole in front of the battery to get mine to balance.
I know it is more weight but it works fine. You might have to adjust the amount for your plane then stick a piece of tape over it to hold them in. I know you just keep sticking money into this thing. HA HA Just what I did to get mine in the air. Have a good day.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:54 PM
aeajr

I have an Electrajet with an e-flite 16 amp speed control.

The low voltage cut off doesn't seem to be functioning. I was doing some testing in the house to see what kind of battery run I should expect. I expected the motor to cut off around 6 or 7 minutes, but at 9 minutes the blade was turning very slowly. Clearly the low voltage cut off did not kick in.

There were no instructions for setting up the ESC. Where can I get instructions for this ESC. e-flite efla100.

Or, can you advise me what I should do? Is there a set-up procedure I need to follow?

Perhaps the ESC is defective.

Thanks for your help.