Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Foamie Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
twoslick2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foamie Trainer

In what wind speed would I still be able to fly my foamie? I am a beginner and wondering what trainer to buy.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
SlabBro

Default RE: Foamie Trainer

One key thing to remember when you're mixing wind with faom, size countsTrainers are slower and have more lift (you're not talking flat foamies right?!?) It doesn't take a whole lot of wind to ground many of them availablhttp://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2725e.
These fly excellent and take a decent breeze predictably. The radio sys is top quality and would transfer to your next plane very nicely. Weight wise they are at the limits of "parkflyer" by AMA deffinition, but this would be a good choice IMHO
Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
skinnerfam95

I'd suggest no wind to a light breeze if you are just starting out. I go several months without flying and prefer the early morning to get comfortable again.

In general, I'd say models from 10-30oz are most fun in winds 5mph or less. One exception is my Great Planes Mini Slinger which is only 8oz but seems to be fun in winds around 10mpg. Some times flying 3d is funner with a bit of wind.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 PM
jdetray

As a beginner, you should not fly if there is ANY wind. When you are more experienced, you will be able to fly in breezy conditions. In fact, it can even become fun! But learning to fly is difficult enough that you do not want the additional complication of ANY wind.

As you grow in experience, you can be more adventurous, up to the point where the wind is so strong that your plane can no longer make any headway against it. When the plane is flying backwards, it's probably too windy!

The suggestion of early mornings is a good one. I hate to get up early, but I used to do it regularly in order to find super-calm flying conditions.

- Jeff