Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

EPO, ELAPOR AND Z FOAM. Which is stronger?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

EPO, ELAPOR AND Z FOAM. Which is stronger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
drypipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPO, ELAPOR AND Z FOAM. Which is stronger?

Does anyone know which foam material is stronger: EPO Foam. Multiplex's Elapor Foam or Park Zone's "Z" Foam?

DryPipe.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: EPO, ELAPOR AND Z FOAM. Which is stronger?

Aren't those all just brand names for the same thing? I know Great Planes now calls it "Aerocell Foam."
Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 AM
drypipe

I had a Great Planes ( Hobbico Fly Zone) "Aero Cell" L-39 Albatross edf jet that was built like an epp flying egg shell, that is to say the AeroCell foam is JUNK!!!! Nothing in comparison to EPO foam or Multiplex's Elapor. Even the Horizon "Z" foam was stronger.
They are all EPO like in composition but it is the composition and blends of other elements that make them all different from one another. Multiplex has a way of turning EPO material into an "Elapor" material by using a "special method" they will not advertise or share with other manufacturers. All this has do do with playing around with the chemical make up of the base EPO material and Multiplex, Park Zone and Great Planes (which is owned by Hobbico) all have their own formula.

Multiplex was the very first model company in Germany to take EPO and further develop it in what they call "Elapor".
Park Zone ( Horizon), Great Planes ( Hobbico) and the Chinese model makers who use base EPO material like GWS, FMS, J-Power, Shenzhen ImaxRC Model Co. and Shantou Lanyn Model Co. ( the maker of the Banana Hobby AT-6 EPO yellow and silver Texans), all came after the Multiplex revolution.

All that said, which foam is stronger?

DryPipe.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I honestly can't say I notice a difference between my Parkzone T-28, and my Great Planes Seawind EP when it comes to the foam they're made of. They're both made of the same large cell type foam, and both very rugged. Maybe that Albatross had to be made so thin to keep it scale and light that it became more fragile, I dunno. Either way, my Seawind has survived being tossed around in my 1:1 boat's cuddy hitting wakes at 65 MPH, and doesn't get hanger rash the way my old GWS "beer cooler foam" planes do.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:23 PM
drypipe

I have also noticed that the Aerocell and the Z Foam are similar but that Aerocell is softer. Maybe the fuselage on the L-39 was thin.
I do wish Multiplex made some low winged sport airplanes and warbirds with that Elapor foam.

Drypipe.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 PM
lippucci

Do you still have your Seawind EP? If so would you buy another? Considering one but cannot find a forum to review.

Thanks

Norm