RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/)
-   -   Help mystery crashes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/11688431-help-mystery-crashes.html)

ts_flyby 03-10-2021 06:01 AM

Help mystery crashes

For those of you who like to solve mysteries. I have a good one.

I have a carbon cub s2 1.2m from Horizon Hobby. uses Electric 3cell 2200 . I have a new nx6 transmitter.
I have flown it many times in the past with no issues.
I crashed it nose down one day and had to order a new motor shaft and fuselage. I also replaced both aileron servos with new metal gear.

After restoring it to like new condition I took it out to fly. First, I checked to make sure all controls and trims were set and the as3x was working .
I tried to take of directly into the wind giving it throttle and a little up elevator. It became airborne and got about 4 feet into the air , at that point i gave it a little aileron
and it immediately nosed up and dived to the right into the ground. I examined it and no damage. I tried again and the exact thing happened except this time it nosed up and dived into the ground on the left and broke the fuselage and bent prop.

2nd rebuild.
I suspected maybe the gyro was bad and i believed the gyro to be in the controller . So i replaced the controller with a new one.
All parts working again and testing out just fine for preflight.
Once again it became airborne easily but as soon as i gave it any aileron it nosed upward and dived to the right. Damaging the fuselage again and needing repair.

3rd rebuild
Once again i repaired foam cracks and double checked the Center of Gravity . I also made sure the battery is secured so it cannot shift.
This time i had a friend who has been flying for 40+ years to help me with preflight check and also a range test.
Everything passed inspection and test. As3x works, range test works, trims good. etc...

My friend gave it a try to make sure it wasn't me causing the crash. He was able to get it about 8 ft. off the ground before giving it any aileron input . As soon as he did the plane nose dived into the soil. Not much damage . Just another crack in the fuselage and bent propeller.

He and I both have no idea what it could be. Anybody out there have any suggestions? The only thing I haven't replaced it the receiver since it is separate and plugs into the controller. But the plane passed range test so i didn't suspect it. I tried takeoffs in both safe beginner mode and without safe mode. Nothing seems to help.
??? HELP PLEASE

Tony

A. J. Clark 03-10-2021 10:45 AM

I also replaced both aileron servos with new metal gear.
Does the new servos rotate in the same direction per stick input as the old ones did? Left aileron with original servo and left aileron with new servo should rotate in same direction. If not AS3X won't work correctly. You can't just reverse the servo. Reverse function in radio must stay same as original setting for AS3X to work properly.

ts_flyby 03-11-2021 06:29 AM

I did not know this.
You are saying that as3x ignores the reverse servo setting?

The new servos did NOT rotate the same direction and I did need to reverse the aileron servos to get them to move correctly.

I thought that the as3x worked properly when i ground checked it. I will look at that again and see if as3x is moving the wrong direction.

Desertlakesflying 03-11-2021 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ts_flyby (Post 12668036)
I did not know this.
You are saying that as3x ignores the reverse servo setting?

The new servos did NOT rotate the same direction and I did need to reverse the aileron servos to get them to move correctly.

I thought that the as3x worked properly when i ground checked it. I will look at that again and see if as3x is moving the wrong direction.

You reverse the servos in the AS3X settiungs, not the radio.