RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/)
-   -   Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/1521722-alfa-models-f4u-1-corsair-arf.html)

Greg Covey 02-12-2004 03:14 PM

Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF

1 Attachment(s)
I'm reviewing the Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF from [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/corsair-f4u.htm]Hobby Lobby[/link].

It has a 32" wingspan with 188 sq. in. of wing area. The length is 25-3/4" long and is Ready-To-Fly (RTF) at about 16 oz.

The plane is almost finished as it arrives in the box. You simply install your motor, two servos, receiver, and battery. The wing is removable for transport and storage in its box. Both the wing and fuselage are hollow molded foam with a hardened surface to resist dings. Hard plastic sheeting is used where the model contacts the ground.

The firewall is pre-installed and ready for mounting the geared Speed 300 motor or optional brushless setup. A top hatch is pre-cut and latch pre-installed to allow easy access to the batteries and radio components.

The wing and elevator are semi-symmetrical so the model flies like a much larger model providing a smooth and responsive flight capable of performing even in the wind.

Handlaunching is easy with a good grip area behind the wing. A sheet of waterslide decals for 3 scale versions are included in the kit.

The Alfa Models Corsair is designed for 3 channels; elevator, aileron, and speed control.

Greg Covey 02-12-2004 03:31 PM

RE: Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF

1 Attachment(s)
When the parts are removed from the box, you can see just how closely finished the Corsair really is.

The assembly diagram and 4-page instruction sheet are all that is needed for a successful completion.

Greg Covey 02-12-2004 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be using the geared 5:1 Speed 300 power system for my review and a Jeti 10 ESC with an 8-cell, 720mAh, NiMH pack. Optionally, i'll also be testing a 2-cell or 3-cell Kokam 1500HC pack depending upon the static current draw.

The pinion gear that comes with the (MJ8043) 5:1 gearbox for SPEED 300 motors needs to be forced onto the motor shaft. I tapped my pinion gear on while supporting the other end of the motor shaft with a solid metal surface. A small Locktite tube also comes with the gearbox but I did not use it since the pinion fit on the motor shaft was so tight.

I plan to replace the APC 9x6 slowflyer prop with a black FS300, 3-Blade, 9x7 prop for a better scale look. The 3-blade prop requires the longer (MJ8031) Long 3mm Prop Adapter to work with the supplied hub and snap washer in the kit.

Greg Covey 02-12-2004 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The firewall is pre-installed and already marked for the 3 screw holes needed to mount the MJ gearbox.

I drilled 3 small holes in the firewall and mounted the motor in a few minutes.

Greg Covey 02-13-2004 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To mount the cowl, I used a few pieces of double-sided transparent tape around the fuselage nose.

Also, when mounting my gearbox, I used a little white glue on the screw threads to keep them in place.

Note that my Jeti ESC switch is mounted in a small cut that I made off of the hatch opening. I supported it with two tiny screws and some white glue.

The 3-blade prop needs the longer MP Jet 3mm adapter (MJ8031) which I had to order from Hobby Lobby on the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear280.htm]Speed 300 gearbox page[/link].

Greg Covey 02-16-2004 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The pre-installed wing mount uses a single screw to securely mount the wing.

Alfa Models uses a brilliant mix of plastic and foam to keep the coupling between the wing and the fuselage strong.

Greg Covey 02-16-2004 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The pre-cut and pre-mounted hatch is held securely in place using a locking latch.

Greg Covey 02-18-2004 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My longer MP Jet 3mm adapter (MJ8031) arrived from Hobby Lobby so I was able to finish up my Corsair assembly.

The washer that comes with the MJ prop adapter is replaced with the one that comes in the Alfa Models kit. I needed to wrap a few turns of masking tape around the prop adapter shaft for a snug fit on the 3-blade prop.

The finished look is great and will be a closer match to my larger .60-sized Hangar 9 Corsair.

jonnyjetprop 02-18-2004 10:00 AM

What, no brushless conversion? I'm disappointed.

John Pursell

Greg Covey 02-18-2004 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since I am using a 3-blade ([link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/slowprop.htm]FS300[/link]) 9x7 prop instead of the normal APC 2-blade, 9x6 SF prop, an 8-cell pack would draw excessive current in my geared Speed 300 power system. I choose to use a 2-cell ([link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/kokam.htm]FM122[/link]) Kokam 1200mAh Lithium battery to reduce the voltage and weight while providing a longer duration flight. The current draw is about 7amps at full throttle with the Kokam 2-cell pack.

The 2-cell Kokam pack weighs about 1.9oz and makes my Corsair Ready-To-Fly at only 13.0oz which is 3oz under the stock flying weight! The lighter plane with a 1200mAh battery is a 20% drop in weight and will feel like brushless power!

Shown here is where the pack placement balanced the plane.

P-51B 02-20-2004 10:08 AM

Hmmm...maybe an axi brushless WITH Lipoly would be a good option for this plane.

Billy Hell 02-25-2004 10:18 AM

Check this out for a brushless conversion:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fockewulf-brushless.htm

Greg Covey 02-25-2004 04:29 PM

Interesting brushless conversion with the little AXI motor. Although it looks great, my preference by a long shot is the MP Jet 25/25 or 25/35 motor. A plug-in-play (3 screws) brushless upgrade that is fairly inexpensive. My P-51 goes vertical until it is a tiny dot in the sky!

I flew the Corsair a few times today using the geared Speed 300 motor, 3-blade prop, and 2-cell Kokam 1200 pack. As expected, I had plenty of power to handle 5-10mph winds and landed on the frozen tundra (ice) several times without issue.

I can't wait for the photos to come back. Alfa Models has another great flyer in their Corsair!

Greg Covey 02-29-2004 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I test flew my Alfa Models Corsair about 6 times and it is a great flyer! The power level with the geared Speed 300 motor is more than adequate as we flew it on several windy days. At full power, my motor would cut out after several seconds because the current draw was a bit too high on my 2-cell Kokam 1200 pack with the 3-blade 9x7 prop. The cold outside temperature probably didn't help either.

It worked fine with the stock 8-cell, 720mAh, NiMH pack and I suspect a 2-cell Kokam 1500 pack would be fine also.

Here are some flying shots:

Greg Covey 02-29-2004 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more flying...

P-51B 03-01-2004 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Billy Hell

Check this out for a brushless conversion:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fockewulf-brushless.htm

Looks like a good setup, although I am not sure I would want to glue the FW Fan to MY motor.

Greg Covey 03-02-2004 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some classic Corsair angles as it flies in for a close inspection of our communications tower at work.

Woody 51 03-07-2004 02:21 AM

How hard was it to launch?
I read both the review on their P47 and P51 and noted the difficulties experienced with the fatter fuselage of the P47.
They look good though and I'm impressd with the size. Easy to see!!!!
I'm almost ready to get one of their offerings.
(I'm also intereted in their FockeWulf TA183 D/F. )

bob_in_lv 03-07-2004 01:45 PM

Does this plane have wheels? If not, can they be added?

Bob

Woody 51 03-07-2004 05:29 PM

Bob,

No, they don't come with wheels.

From reading R/C Universe review on the P47, the foam used is similar to that used on a supermarket meat tray (certainly tougher than the stuff used by GWS) and also has a coating to protect the underside from the rigours of belly landing. The reviewer didn't seemd to be too concerned about that latter fact.

Unless you were going to fly it indoors, ot maybe around a smooth, asphalt or concrete surfaced parking lot, they're probably more of a potential hinderance anyway.

I have a GWS A10 and removed the wheels as all they did was add drag and weight. All my flying sites are grass and wheels are totally useless for that.

I guess you could make up a set of u/c legs, or grab some from another kit and fit them to the underside of the wing. You would have to cut the neccessary grooves etc yourself. You would have to keep an eye on the all up weight as it seems to be fairly critical.

jbrundt 03-07-2004 08:02 PM

So how do you think it would do with the 3 cell 1500 Kokam?

I'm thinking of getting the FS Spitfire with the S300 and 7.7:1 gearbox turning that 4 bladed prop using a 3 cell 1500 Kokam. I thought about the 2 cell 1500 Kokam but I didn't think it would be enough.

Jeff

Woody 51 03-08-2004 03:44 AM

Bob,
Flying Styro also make an unbelievable FW-190, WITH SCALE LANDING GEAR. The gear must be removed for flight though.
Check out Hobby Lobby's electric scale page on their website

Greg Covey 03-08-2004 03:58 PM

Woody,

The Corsair launched with just a toss while holding it just behind the cowl in front of the leading edge of the wing. Alternatively, some folks say you can hold it behind the wing but I found that more difficult.

Typically, I ready the plane in one hand and hold the transmitter in the other. I flip the throttle up with my lower lip and toss away!

Bob,

No wheels on the Alfa Models Corsair. Adding them would be easy. The wing belly is quite hard.

Wattage sells a set of removable gear mains so you could take them off when flying over grass.

Jeff,

The extra weight of the 3-cell Kokam 1500 pack wouldn't bother a thing. In fact, that is roughly equal to the stock 8-cell, 720mAh, NiMH pack. I was surprised at how easy the Corsair flies and lands. It was much slower than my Alfa P-51. This is likely due to the longer wing chord.

I've been recently surprised by the same thing on it's bigger brother, the .60-size Hangar 9 Corsair that I converted to e-power. I have a feeling that these Corsairs will get plenty of stick time this summer. :)

Woody 51 03-09-2004 04:10 AM

Thanks Greg.

I also spotted the FW-190 on Alfa's website. My local distributor here "down under" will be getting stocks of that model early April. I have place one on order.

I was contemplating the LA7, but tonight noted the manufacturer had written a caution as to slow flying characteristics of that model on their website, in the flying instructions section of the model.

Nice of them to be so honest (I wish Global had done the same with their rotten little Raven .40 glow powered model.)

P-51B 03-09-2004 09:08 AM

Yeah, I saw the Alfa FW-190 on there website also. I wonder if hobby lobby will get them here in the states, and when?