RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/)
-   -   "Best" Alfa model-what is your pick? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/1956497-%22best%22-alfa-model-what-your-pick.html)

abearcat 07-02-2004 08:24 PM

"Best" Alfa model-what is your pick?

I have a GWS corsair and like it. I am thinking of a next Warbird but I would like a bit more ooomph in the fly-by. I have read lots of strings on upgrades for GWS stuff but I don't, at this time want to go brushless because although money is not a problem I really don't want to get into Lipoly cells, chargers, connectors etc. (I think there is a real lack of information for people who are in this hobby but do not have access to people with ELECTRIC expertice). The Alfa line looks like the W-birds are all fast and I have read nothing but good things about them (except that they cost more than GWS's chunks of foam). I would like a good flying, fast warbird that would provide plenty of fun for the person who DOES NOT want to go BL at this time.

geo8498 07-02-2004 09:22 PM

RE: "Best" Alfa model-what is your pick?

I graduated from GWS Mustang and Corsair to an Alfa P47. Used my 8.4 and 9.6V NIMH and 300 motor from one of my GWS planes. MPJet 5:1 gearbox. APC 9x6 prop. Had great luck with this setup. Loved this plane, until it was clobbered by a golden retriever at the park.

Woody 51 07-02-2004 11:56 PM

The Alfa P47 is the slowest of the Alfa warbirds. The complete Alfa range flies very well.
Which ever you select you will not be disappointed with. The P47 is going to be upgrade shortly with a new and more colorful paint job as they have done to their P51 and Corsair models. The FW-190 is simply outstanding. Alfa finish quality is just so much better than anything GWS make.

As for the Lipoly. Brushless argument. There is no real need to go Brushless with the Alfa Prop range (but there is with their Jet models.)

They perform quite nicely with a Speed 300, but the Lipoly packs are worth investigating due to the superior flight time duration one can get from them, as well as the weight saving, which does help the models perforamce.

There is plenty of good information on care and handling of Lipoly packs over at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

If your not sure, start with a NiMH pack while you further investigate the LiPoly question.

But do youself a big favour and purchase a quality ESC that can be programmed to be used with either NiMH or Lipoly packs.

Then if you ever decide to make the battery switch, you will not be up for big $$ to swap the ESC and find youself with an ESC that you have no further use for.

abearcat 07-03-2004 07:57 PM

Thank you for the input. I still don't know which one I'll get but I'm leaning to the corsair so I can have a direct comparison of the flight capabilities of the planes from each manufacturer. Any other input would be useful to other potential buyers of this type of plane.

Woody 51 07-11-2004 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
abearcat,
Wait for the new upgraded Corsair to hit the shelves. Shipments of this model have left the Alfa factory.
Compare the 2 Pics below of the new and the old.
The wait will be worth it.

ilike2fly 07-13-2004 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Focke Wulf. I love it. Brushless AXI motor with Jeti speed control and Kokam 3C 1500 Mah packs

abearcat 07-15-2004 07:05 PM

From other posts I gather that Alfa is revamping some of their models for better visibilaty. It seems that the new corsair looks better up close but the original one may be easier to find at a distance with the yellow nose. The thing I have defintely noticed with the GWS all-blue stock corsair is that it is really tough to tell if it is banking away from you or towards you at a distance, especially at dusk when I most often fly. The alfa models do look good and they seem to fly well. Any thoughts on how they compair to the GWS stuff which is a lot cheaper is useful to everyone. Thanks.
AB

Woody 51 07-16-2004 04:59 PM

GWS stuff is just not in the same league. From both a finish and a flight performance point of view. Alfa is miles ahead. Buy one and you won't ever bother with GWS again.

The Alfa models are not for novices though. If you can handle a low winged, glow powered .40 sized, aerobatic sports model, then you will find flying an Alfa will not be a problem.

If you're just off a trainer, then they are not for you....yet!

IL2windhawk 03-21-2008 12:33 PM

Has anybody tried repainting their Alfa models?
I'm considering a new paint scheme for a P-47, but I'm wondering what type of paint works best.
Enamel would seem to be a good choice since it can flex a bit without cracking, but i worry about
it attacking the foam.

propogandhi 07-08-2008 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
IL2, I've repainted all My Alfa warbirds to some degree. The best paint to use is acrylic paints. The Tamiya paints are good, so too are the Warbird color paints (water based too). I used the WBC Olive Drabb on my P47's with Tamiya light sky grey. Also Xtrayicylix water based paints are good to. I must add, I always used an airbrush. Here are mine: