RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/)
-   -   Parkzone Typhoon 3D ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/3365703-parkzone-typhoon-3d.html)

BendR 09-08-2006 12:28 PM

RE: Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

Crash, thanks for the input. What you are saying makes alot of sense. (not that Get Real didn't. he has been a lot of help) I just got done pulling the guts out of it and taking a good look. I read everything out with a meter and the switch and wires look ok. The connectors to the motor are in good shape. the motor turns nice and free by hand, maybe the esc is shot??? Don't know. The more I mess with it the more messed up I get. I will be changing the esc to the phoenix in the next few days as I get some time and replacing all the servos and I'll try the motor again. Well, Time to spend some time with wifey after I defunk so, gotta go. Thanks guys for your help!! I'll keep checkin' the thread and keep ya posted.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Get Real 09-08-2006 01:25 PM

Crashcrazy/ the 3700kv figure i posted was directly from one of the parkzone reps. since they do the R&D on the planes i assume its correct. i dont have any equipment to measure the kv of the stock motor but assume it is correct. strange that in austrailia they come with a higher kv 4200.. its not uncommon for car manufacturers to produce cars in europe etc.. without emmisions equipment that have more horsepower than the US versions. when running your own radio gear there is a ESC manual sheet that gives the steps to reset esc for full throttle use with different radios that comes with the typhoon. planes and helis are fun but we do have to accept some responsability for there maitnence.. i find it to common that fingers are pointed constantly at products when theres failure.. there is a common danominator and its not always the product that causes the failure itself. these are little aircraft and need inspection from time to time.. sometimes in fullscale aircraft failures are caused from poor maitnence and inspection and its not always a faulty part. ive goten replys to various posts of planes and helis i own that could be considered flaming lol.. it doesnt bother me.. i believe i have a good outlook and it keeps me flying and having fun and hope some find what i post constructive or helpful. bottom line you get what you put into it.

gpshemi 09-08-2006 02:10 PM

HORSEHOCKEY....I've been running cars & boats for over 20 years. Never had one catch fire from something I did.
Been into planes for the last two or three. In any event, this wasn't for poor upkeep.

HOWEVER....I do like the plug resistance theory. If that's the case though, and PZ supplied those, they still have
a liability problem....

gpshemi

holyschmoley 09-10-2006 07:09 PM

Question on this plane - is it easier to fly than the stryker? I bought the f-27c stryker and have crashed it a couple of times but am starting to get the hang of it. Would it be better to get the typhoon and get the hang of that first? Can you use the same controller and lipo from the stryker?

young gun 2 09-10-2006 07:42 PM

I have only owned the first f-27 stryker, but I think that the typhoon is harder to fly. Also, I believe the styker is a 3 channnel plane, the typhoon is 4 channels. Lipos can be used in the typhoon but it should be a 3 cell pack.

Onto the next subject, i flew my typhoon today, and stipped the rudder servo, so im going to get some reliable ones for the elevator and rudder (hs-81). Would it be wise to change the ailerons? At least the plane has rudder authority if those go out on me.

Jack Cody

dougwill 09-11-2006 09:17 AM

Get Real
I agree with you about the maintence issues and that we have a certian respondsibility to maitain and appy caution when messing with electrics. Which is why I purchased the Typhoon as my first electric while I put my foamie together. What I do expect is that when a couple hundred dollars is spent that you get a safe, reliable plane. Now the fact that servo failures and also the possibility of shorts that could cause a fire should not expected in a RTF. The ESC should be soldered and wired to withstand the abuse that all electrics go thru. My plane had four flights and only minor flips on ground from high grass, nothing that should have shorted anything. What I did notice was that on my last landing approch that the motor would not stop turning even with the throttle and trim all the way down. Should have been a clue now that I think of it. I did like the way the plane went together & flew.

Doug

gpshemi 09-11-2006 09:39 AM

I noticed with both of mine that died the motor does a grinding noise just before it starts to spin like it's trying to spin in reverse then forward for a split second. While my first one had a crash landing that I could caulk it up to, this one never had a crash and had just finished a flawless flight on the first pack. There's more to it.

I bought a Electrafly ESC to put in it, but I'm inclined to send it back since they've offered and let them at least inspect it. I guess they can't fix the problem if they never see them. Someone has to be the first to have one go up in flames I guess.

gpshemi

BendR 09-11-2006 11:32 AM

Get real, I think I run down the prob with the motor sputtering. I believe it is the ESC. I tested everything with a meter and the motor seems ok. When I check out the esc it isn,t putting out squat. Don't know if you ever tried it but does the ESC need a draw on it to see a difference in what it is putting out with a meter?? I have my new one just been to tired and lazy to install it yet. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. Just got home from work and I'm beat. Sippin a cold one now tryin to get over the last 6 days of work.

Doug, well said. I must agree. I think a lot of this electric stuff is still in it's infancy and we must take caution first. I used to fly gassers and the number one rule is nothing is "hot" until it's ready to fly. I never plugged even in the reciever until it was at least outside the house for a test run.

Get Real 09-11-2006 02:31 PM

BendR/im not sure.. there is a small amount of voltage that goes through an esc for the bec circuitry. but the motor output wires probally wont give a reading until throttles applied similar to using a watt meter/thats another tool i need to purchase. i bought another plane over the weekend and built it and maidened it sunday/i had to pull the 480 out of typhoon for the new plane. as of now i have a 450 outrunner in it and im gonna run the tp 1320 pscks until i decide wheather or not im going to get another 480 or power 10. the 480 hauled the typhoon around very well for high speed flying and aerobatics.

BendR 09-11-2006 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Get Real
watt meter/thats another tool i need to purchase.
MEEEEE 2

Been looking at them long and hard but at fifty kicks, it's a hard pill to swallow. What am I talkin about I have hundreds in batteries and motors. That does it, I'm ordering one! LOL!:):)

BendR 09-11-2006 02:50 PM

Get Real, s'cuse the double postin'. I see your from the Illini state. Grew up there. Monee?? never heard of it. north, south?? I'll be home on vacation in a few weeks in south part. PM me. BTW your plane has been quite the celeb the last few days. Nice looking Typhoon dude! As they would say in cali, dude, 2 kewl. Like, totally awesome man.:):)

gpshemi 09-11-2006 02:52 PM

Hey guys....25 amp ESC should be enough for the stock motor battery setup right?
That's what I bought.

Also, anyone have any cures for the crummy floppy coverings on the wings?
I put a heat gun to them (lightly of course) and all it did was expand everything till it seemed tight.
Then when it cooled down it was loose again. I wasn't sure if it's shrink wrapping or not so I didn't go
crazy.

gpshemi

Get Real 09-11-2006 04:14 PM

BendR/thanks its not the first plane of mine thats got some attention im glad whoevers looking enjoys it/my first aerobatic plane went through much more modifications and it seemed to help others with set up and really getting the performance from the airframe with some elbow grease and some new parts. monee is south.. frankfort/tinley park/new lenox are all fairly close neighboring suburbs. it would be cool to fly with others.. i usually fly alone and rarely push my planes or skills/sounds like youve been flying for some time with your nitro expierence.. i could probally learn a few things if you have time on vacation let me know and i'll fly with you. the chicago model and hobby show is at the end of next month and i'll also be there. i plan on getting lots of pics and video and will probally be posting on new products etc that are at show.

25amp esc is plenty for the stock power system on typhoon/ive used 20amp eflite esc's in mine from time to time and theres one in there now with the 450 outrunner.
if i remember right the stock power set up only pulls 15 to 16 amps.
just remember to set the proper cut off on esc so your day doesnt end early from loss of voltage in stock pack.

covering/some have removed the stock covering and used regular covering with very good results. just an option

gpshemi 09-11-2006 06:32 PM

I thought about that too. I'm realatively new to planes is all. I've been at it about 2 years or so maybe.
I tried to touch up my nexstar some and it looks worse. [>:]
Shoulda left it alone I guess.

Get Real 09-11-2006 07:12 PM

gsphemi/there are other alternatives. you could use trim covering/it comes in 3 foot rolls in 5 inch width.. just looking at the stuff i use it would take 3 pieces to overlap each wing and some slight overlaping/its self adhesive so theres no need to use an iron or heat gun.. it applys just like vinyl stickers etc. it comes in various colors and also checkered patterns for high visabilty for use on wings etc. heres link http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHX82&P=0 heres link to all brands with various numbers etc/it takes a lot of the work out of giving a plane an added touch http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QAE btw you have a lot more expierence than i do.. i started flying just over a year ago :D.

Update on Typhoon with the lighter outrunner set up/AUW is 23.6 ounces with E-flite 450 and tp 1320 prolite pack and 20 amp eflite esc. should fly reasonbly well at that weight even though it will have much less power than the stock set up or the 480 set up with tp 2100.

gpshemi 09-12-2006 06:58 AM

Thanks guys. I think that's what I'm looking for. Self adhesive stuff.

Well at this point I'm not doing anything. It's going back to Park Zone. I'm sure they'll take care of it. Problem is I'll never find out what's wrong with it. I guess they can't fix these things if they never see one burned up.

I think I'll take the advice giving here and instantly pitch the connectors in the plane and charger for some Dean's.

gpshemi

BendR 09-12-2006 09:01 AM

Good news!! I installed all the new goodies today (ESC, rx and 4 shiny new 81mg's) and the motor works fine. I guess the esc was fried. Anyway. I now have 4 servos, the rx and tx that I have no use for. Maybe I'll ebay 'em. I wouldn't sell the esc since I think it was the culprit. Can't wait to fly it, hopefully in the morn!!:):):)

GP- I am sold on deans. I am in the process of switching everything over. All but one of my planes is deans and I am going to upgrade it to lipo's, so soon it's all deans for me! The o n l y way to fly. hehe:D

Get Real 09-13-2006 03:27 AM

Got a flight in today with the typhoon(also got eatin alive by BUGS while flying). the E-Flite 450/890kv outrunner and tp 1320 light set up provided pretty good power surprisingly. at 23.6 ounces this set up its much lighter than the stock power system the typhoon comes with. ive been mostly flying regular aerobatics at higher speeds with the typhoon lately.. i did hover with this set up though my deflection rates are pretty conservative right now. with this set up the typhoon has enough power to hover and has pretty good punch out and vertical capabilitys(its also very quiet). to get the cg to a more neutral spot youll have to remove some of the foam in front of battery bay and mount the battery further forward to get it to balance better using the lighter 450 outrunner and lighter pack. i had a lot of fun with this set up during the 2 packs i ran through it. verticals were nice and it floats even better at this lighter weight. if i was using the stock servos i could probally get the AUW just below 23 ounces using my mini reciever. since i purchased a new plane recently and my 480 1020 kv outrunner is in it i'll be flying this set up for a while in the typhoon. it may take a while but i'll try and get some video footage of the typhoons performance using this power set up. :D

BendR 09-13-2006 08:53 AM

G-R, schweeeet!
Can't wait to see the vids. I just got back from the airfield. I call it an airfield because it really is an airfield. They fly gliders, and Utva 75 (like a low wing cessna) and of all things an Antonov 2 (awesome airplane). Cool thing is you can fly out of sight with no chance of hitting a tree or pwerline or anything, 'cept for the hangar. Anyhoo, maidened the typhoon today. Flys like a FREAK!! I was so impressed with this plane. Turns on a dime and will give you change. Rudder turns are a trip at full speed. Lots of aerobatics. Set it up with flaps and I guess they help when I figure out how to use them properly on such a light plane (more on that below). I used to use flaps on the gassers but these elec's are a whole diff animal.
OK, OK, I'll get to the point. Yesterday I was switching all my plugs over to deans. To make a long story short I cut both the wires off the batt connector at the same time. OOPS. I think I fried the batt. I charged it up and flew it on the maiden and it lasted about 2-3 minutes. I didn't let it get far from me so the landing was perfect. Luckily I let it get close and then re-armed the ESC so I had pwr to land. Then I put in a poly quest 11.1V 1200mah batt. Flew great! Short but sweet. I didn't want to chance another possible dead stick so I brought it in when I noticed a drop in power. I set the tihing up with flaps and was messing with them on short final. Stalled it and give full power and full up elev. well, needless to say this was a dumb thumb moment and it went vert-inverted and stalled again. Landed wheels up. No damage to speak of so I had a HUGE :D on my face even thought it wasn't pretty. This thing is going to become my favorite in a hurry. Can't wait to do it again.

Get Real 09-13-2006 02:00 PM

BendR/glad you had fun on your maiden.. its a fun plane. its easy to fly the snot out of it to knowing if you scratch it up a little parts are inexpensive an readily availble. the elevator doesnt need very much throw for regular flying.. about a half inch or so both ways is plenty for regular docile stuff. you can crank up the throws and it will loop straight and true at full speed in about an 8 foot diameter loop :D. the lighter set ups work well and the plane floats well even at 26-27 ounces.. it has a thick wing with around 400 sqaure inches of wing aera.. so you can float it in and slow it to a crawl without stalling.. at 24 ounces or less you can slow it down so much its silly. less weight does have its drawbacks though.. it gets kicked around in higher winds easier.
have a good one.

dougwill 09-13-2006 04:05 PM

Hi! all Still waiting on ParkZone to get back to me on burnt components. I guess based on everyones upgrading components before they fail like i didn't do, it would be best to detail out suggested changes.

!.) Upgrade the elevator servo to a Hitec HS-81 at thevery least if not all servos.
2.) New ESC to a minimum 20 amp (Eflite?)
3.) New switch.
4.) Dean connectors to replace all battery to esc connections.
Is this it or would you guys recommend additional or give best price and suppliers.
Also keep in mind that many buyers are new to electrics like myself.
I did enjoy it while it lasted. (4 flights):(

Doug

gpshemi 09-14-2006 06:43 AM

I think skip the switch. Just wire it out. Opinions will vary on that though.

dougwill 09-14-2006 07:41 AM

gpshemi

No switch? Just plug battery in to fly. That makes sense. one less thing to go bad. Anyone else have suggestions. Also for newcomers to this plane. This is not for beginners. Even those experienced should cut the throws back to about half to start. 1/2" throw on all surfaces is plenty to start with on low rates.

Doug

Get Real 09-14-2006 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something good for all planes regardless if its electric/nitro/or gas is a flight timer. its easy to lose track of time when your having fun.. you dont want to be hovering or be far out and low and hit lvc and not have enough power to make it back to your runway/street/parking lot etc :D. the one i use is widely available and beeps for a while once it reaches set time and it has a clip on it so you can attach it to pants or shirts. its under $10.00.. small investment to keep your plane a little safer. i usually set mine 1 or 2 minutes shorter than my pack duration to be on the safe side.

BendR 09-15-2006 12:44 AM

Doug, While I was upgrading stuff, I just left the switch out of the loop. To me, yes, it is just one more thing to go wrong. With my two thumbs, I don't need anything else to go wrong:)

Get Real, excellent tip. Used to use one oll the time on the gassers. Now I use my cell phone timer for the first few flights on any new plane to get the "feel" of it. Afttr that I can pretty much tell when it's time to come in by the drop in power.