RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/)
-   -   Parkzone Typhoon 3D ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/3365703-parkzone-typhoon-3d.html)

Young-RCPilot 09-16-2005 07:41 PM

Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

I was wondering if anyone has a Parkzone Typhoon 3D. They are fairly cheap and look pretty decent but I don't know of anyone who has one. I want to get a small eletric to fly in my backyard and 3D low, I am new to electrics so I am not shir what to get, I want something that will do all 3D manouvers and fly basic aerobatics easy. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Glacier Girl 09-17-2005 07:32 AM

RE: Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

The Typhoon, has not yet been released, not due till October, so other then the guys at PZ and Horizon I doubt anyone has one yet.:)

bleemer 09-28-2005 01:38 PM

I was at my hobby shop yesterday. They were just told the Park Zone Typhoon was shipping today. I have one on hold for me.

-Blee

jmir 09-30-2005 06:28 PM

I was at my LHS this afternoon and they had received a bunch of them today along with recommended set of replacement parts.

bleemer 10-01-2005 10:01 AM

They arrived on Thursday and I picked mine up. Did not get to fly it until last night. It's a quick build while I charged the stock battery.

I got in two flights before dark. The Typhoon comes with 2 props, one for stock battery and on for Lipo's. I wanted to try it first on stock battery so on with the bigger prop. In my field ground take off was limited by the prop cutting grass, so roll was extended, but once in the air, she went straight up.

If you have not flown a 3d plane before, just realize this is a touchy plane even on low throws. Switch to high and you can go crazy. I had a blast beating up the air with it. You need only input small stick movements to get smooth flight and hang on for dear life if you start banging the sticks as she will rock and roll. The stock battery needs a few cycles on it to get max power, but it will hover the plane and do vertical rolling climb outs. I had the stock battery mostly forward and could not get good knife edge, so I will try moving it back a bit.

Also being a 3d plane, this is not a glider. Keep power on to land.

Lastly, I put some R/C car differential grease on the gear box to smooth things out a bit as it is noisy. That helped a little.

The gear box seemed a bit tooth loose in gear fit so I will look to see if the motor mount is adjustable before next flight as there was a grinding sound on initial slow power up.

That's all for now.

-Blee

alqwad 10-04-2005 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like it !! Just got mine today from LHS (Hobby Town). Took about 30 minutes to have it ready to fly. All that is required is to install LG, mount wing (1 screw), install horizontal/elevator (4 pieces of tape), attach vertical/rudder (three pieces of tape and 3 push through hinge retainers). That's it. Comes with 13.5 x 7 and a 12 x 8.75 in props. The larger prop is to be used with the stock NIMH pack. The stock pack is the same 10.8 volt 9-cell pack used in the ParkZone P-51 Mustang. Since I have the P-51 also, I now have 2 chargers and 3 packs (I had already purchased another for the Mustang). Packs take about 40 minutes to charge. Servos, Rx (72MHz) and ESC are more like normal electronics than the normal proprietary PZ stuff. Don't quote me, but it looks like I'll be able to drop a JR receiver in there and use my 6102 to control this baby. That would be nice since I'd like to add some exponential to the controls. Extra documentation (I haven't read it yet) says that the ESC is compatible with major brands and the ESC is programmable to some degree. Brushless motor and gearbox seem really solid and battery mounting location (under black plastic canopy) is easily accessible. OK, so enough about all that. How's the flying? After a control and range check I decided to give her a try. Taxi was easy due to the steerable tail wheel. Lined her up in a soccer field with newly mowed grass that was about 2 1/2 inches high. A bit too high, since the big 13 inch prop kept cutting the grass !! Moved it to an area where the grass wasn't so tall. Hit the power, gave a bit of up elevator to keep the front a bit higher and off she went. Steady climb out with PLENTY of power. Radio has normal and dual rates, so I opted for the normal throws for the first flight. Boy, glad I did. Even with the reduced rates, it was a bit of a handful, but not unlike any 3D machine or foamie. I really enjoyed flying it, but I was extremely nervous as I am on most maiden flights, so after only about 2 minutes in the air, I decided to bring it in for a landing. Perfect. Basically, stalled it about 5 inches off of the ground and came gently to rest on all three wheels in the soft grass. I repeated this process about 5-6 more times and decided to count my blessings. I didn't really run it through it's paces on the first pack, so I looked forward to loading up the new pack and try to see what this thing would do. I disconnected the original battery and replaced it with a fresh one and did a quick function check. Everything looked good, but I noticed I had a problem with the elevator. It wouldn't move in it's normal range of motion. It seemed like it was binding or something. I thought maybe the tall grass had gotten wedged in/on the control surface. Nope. I picked the plane up and inspected it closer. Nothing seemed to be out of place. I turned it off and headed to my truck for further inspection. Everything seemed OK near the Rx. No loose plugs or anything. I swapped the plugs around and determined that the Rx was okay and that the servo was bad. Pretty weird, but man am I glad it didn't happen in flight !! Decided to go back to LHS and see if they would help me or if I'd have to deal with PZ. My Typhoon was the first one that they had sold, so they were interested to see it. They asked about the performance and I told them that I thought it was very good until my servo issue. The commented on how the plane looked perfect and it was obvious that the problem didn't come from any damage that I had done. They checked it over and decided to just replace the entire plane for me. Great guys and a quality operation. Anyway, that about wraps up my day/review on the Typhoon. I was very impressed although I didn't get much time on it. The problem with the servo was a freak thing, I guess. I have no regrets with my purchase. Recommended to all with appropriate level of experience. Thanks. Pictures below are stock photos, not of my actual plane.

flymeaway 10-04-2005 09:21 PM

This plane is a great next step, IMO. I'm in my second year and am not that great, but certainly past the second plane stage. It's twicthy for sure, which is due to my inexperience and no expo, (I really miss my computer radio). I have a half dozen flights on it and each time out I perform a move I wasn't able to do before. Today I flew an inverted climbing flat spin. I've torque rolled for the first time, and pulled off a knife edge spin like no other time. May not be a big deal for others, but since I'm really green with the sticks, it's pretty cool for me. I only have the stock NiMh so I can't wait to get my hands on a LiPo. I think this plane will serve me well teaching me 3D. Well worth the bones.

FrozenSmoke 10-06-2005 09:14 PM

Hey there...Just got one two days ago..and I absolutely love it. It's my first four channel plane I was up and twisting on the first shot. Power is pretty good with the stock 10.8V and the 13.5 x 7 prop, but flight time is around 7-9 minutes. Roll rate is nice too....good 3d action...hardly have to correct pitch at all while executing a center line roll. This plane is definitely worth dropping some extra ducketts on a Li-Po. Servos are fairly quick. I haven't put the plane though the ringer yet, but I did hover and rotate out of it to normal flight with ease...and this is my first 3-D experience. I own two F-27 Strykers (and A and a B Model) and the Typhoon was as every bit easy and fun. For those who havent gone 3-D, this is a nice inexpensive number to work out on.

Peace

Forzen Smoke

sluggo15 10-09-2005 02:45 AM

FrozenSmoke 10-09-2005 07:51 PM

Just an update....had some great breezless weather the past couple days and I logged about 2 hours total flying time..(My condo is right across the street from huge baseball park with 8 fields...so with a couple batteries, it was easy to find the time!)...bottom line is that this plane rocks...I executed a tremendous blender from at least 350 feet....the plane looks like it's doomed and then with a little finesse on the sticks it stabilizes like a hot air balloon. I also logged some time with the smaller prop....can't hover too well this way, but you gain good forward speed for pattern flying. A few tips:

1. You don't need a whole lotta room for landing...you can cruise along at a decent clip and be at approach speed in about 20 yards...level wings, 25% throttle at 10-15ft, and a nice flare about a foot off the ground and you are safe on base.(Kill the motor in sync with the flare) The whole plane acts like an air-brake.

2. I don't like shining up my new bird with packing tape, but I put a strip right in front of the tail wheel. This narrow area looks suspect in integrity, so a little reinforcement can't hurt.

3. This plane takes off well going with the wind. This is sometimes necessary for me because of sun angle. Since I'm flying on a baseball field, I have some light poles to contend with, so I always make sure I have the proper orientation in order to judge the distance between the plane and the lights.

4. Speaking of wind...my initial flights were done in about 8-11 mph and I didn't get blown around at all. With little to no wind, well, let her rip without the limiter and your guaranteed instant aerobatic satisfaction. Just be at a safe altitude.

Thats it for this bird....

Keep posting! Any more tips or suggestions? Or, gasp, problems?

Frozen Smoke

Ray75 10-09-2005 09:40 PM

I have about 6 flights with my Typhoon,got it last week.No hang ups out of the box everything worked. It's a twitchy little thing though.I had a couple of
prangers with it. Landing gear absorbed alot of the shock,nothhing broken. It's durable.In flight Ilost the spinner so I ordered some spare parts, New props,
gear box another stock battery just in case. It's nice to be able to get spare parts so easily.

I need some advice on batteries and radio compatability:

The Thunder power lipo seems a bit pricey, any alternatives?? Could I use a lower 3cell mah and still get good performance/longer flight time??
What connnectors should I use??
I tried to swap crystals with my JR radio,but the plastic housing on the JR crystals wouldnt allow it.Do I have to buy new JR crystals??Will the JR work with the
Parkzone RX??
Thanks in advance,Ray75

ifixairplanes 10-10-2005 09:39 PM

Oh boy!!! Now I really can't wait!!
I have mine ordered, just waiting for the mailman. Also on order is a lipo charger and a nifty new 3s 1700mah lipo pack.....
This will be my first electric setup, I think this little plane will help me sharpen my skills with my big planes.

Sean

Randy Bohemier 10-11-2005 04:35 PM

Just got mine today and haven't had a chance to fly just yet to windy. Talking about wind I didn't see anywhere on just how much wind this bird can fly in, does anyone know? This is my first 3d and 4ch. airplane and I can't wait to get to the field and try it out.[8D]

rlau 10-11-2005 05:22 PM

Just got my Typhoon yesterday, I have 5 flights on it and the elevator servo is stripped already. I really didn't even do anything dramatic, some rolls, loops, hovered it a few times and some basic aerobatics. Called support they are sending me a new one but I think I will go to the lhs and get a hitec or futaba servo for the elevator and rudder. I have been flying for about 2 years and have an avistar, a spacewalker II, a sig somethin' extra and a couple more, I have never done any 3D flying but by the 3rd flight I was doing hovers, spins, waterfalls and some crazy stuff that I didn't even know I could do. I have been a little afraid to do the 3D with my gas planes but I think the typhoon will be a great trainer. I was flying in 5 - 15 mph winds and it flew like a dream. I have the parkzone p51 so I have 3 stock nimh batts and I could not charge them fast enough. I got about 10-12 minutes per battery. I flew it at low rates and it was fairly docile, flipped the high rates and it had an awesome roll rate. It is in the outermost hole on the control horn, I can't imagine what it will do in the inside hole and with a lipo.
Can't wait to fly it tomorrow.

FrozenSmoke 10-11-2005 08:36 PM

If you are dealing with winds less than 10 mph, then get out and get that bird in the air. At 12-15, use a bit more caution, but my plane handles it easily, especially with the speed prop. The symetrical airfoil design distributes the airflow over the wing fairly evenly, so if you do get a gust, so you can plow into the wind with little effot and the plane wont blow up, up and away.

15 MPH is my limit at my current skill level.

Good luck to ya....

Frozen Smoke

rlau 10-12-2005 09:38 AM

Replaced my elevator servo with a hitec last night . I used a zip tie to secure the servos to each other, the little black (things) they use to secure the servos with are hard to re-anchor, same with the black pin that connects the canopy, mine has already come loose. Raining today will have to wait till tomorrow to fly. Has anyone else had problems with the servos? Went to the lhs and 3 or 4 people have had servos gears strip already. Plane is awesome servos are crap.

jmir 10-12-2005 06:35 PM

What kind of servo did you use to replace the stripped one?

FrozenSmoke 10-12-2005 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi again....

Here's a few pics of the Typhoon. My brother was going to video the flight, but his battery kaked out on him...so the best I can do for now is a couple of stills with my camera. I'll try to get some better shots in the next couple days.

Incidentally rlau, let me know how the new Hitec works out. My stock servos are fine at the moment, but I'm checking them after every flight. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh yeah, the Stryker in the photo had a sister, but she was laid to rest today thanks to my brother. It was a re-tooled A-model with basswood elevons and a taxi-cab paintjob....It was his second time trying to fly and he couldn't seem to calm his nerves enough not to keep from over-steering. He had the plane in the air for about two minutes and then went into a wicked death spiral. That's the first, and hopefully last time I ever see foam explode. I'll upload the photo of the aftermath when I can.

Randy Bohemier 10-13-2005 09:11 AM

Finally made it to the air field. Take off was smooth, this plane is very responsive. Since I have only flown a J3 Cub before found this to be a real handfull. First two flight went great, rolls, loops and thngs I didn't know I could do. Then the ground came up and bit the plane hard. Pilot error! Will need a new cowl and prop other than that all is well it took alot of punishment and looks good to go.

:(

FrozenSmoke 10-13-2005 09:33 AM

Sorry to hear about the mishap. When the plane is airworthy again, you may want to trim your pitch up slightly, that is if you are pattern flying. I kept it that way until I was confortable with the flight characterisics. I dedicated four consecutive flights to practicing dives from about 150 and 25% throttle to about 15 feet and level approach. That worked out the bugs because I nearly destroyed the plane on landing the first time out.

Well, 0 wind today, so I'm off to the field.

Peace....

Frozen Smoke

rlau 10-13-2005 10:02 AM

I used Hitec mico (51) I believe, to replace the stripped elevator servo gears. it was $15 at the LHS. No need for the higher priced one $35, in my opinior, the 51 has plenty of tork. Great response, I bribed my kids with Sonic Burgers so I could go to the field last night. Great response. The hitec servo arms are a lot shorter on the original servo arms so I moved the control arm down to the second hole on the control horn to give it more throw. Flew great in 10 mph wind. Have 3 charged batteries and plan on stopping at the field on my way home before I have to take my son to hockey practice.

Randy

rlau 10-13-2005 11:13 AM

I was wrong I used a hitec 81 not a 51.
randy

FrozenSmoke 10-13-2005 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what is left of my Stryker A....

This pic is called:

"The Wrong Stuff"

Stick with Air Hogs, kiddo.

Frozen Smoke

rlau 10-13-2005 02:28 PM

That is fixable, One of mine was worse than that. Epoxie or elmers glue work great. I put my 9 cell from my p51 and Typhoon in my stryker and it rips. Not like a brushless but still fun. Roll rate is awesome.

FrozenSmoke 10-13-2005 02:49 PM

I would fix it, but the integrity of the back of the fuse is really suspect, even if I did epoxy it. This particular body seemed exceptionaly soft, almost spongy in some areas as opposed to my B-model which is made out of the same Z-Foam as the Typhoon. I salvaged what I could and cut my loses. I'm currently building a brushless model with airbrakes. I found a homepage for this dude who went nuts with his Strykers....the one called "Rock and Roll" was painted to look like Eddie Van Halens taped Kramer...but the kicker is that he split the elevons, inserted an addtional servo into each wing and made a fully functional airbrake. Looks crazy, but he video taped a highspeed pass (of course this is a brushless model) and then the same pass adding airbrake. It looked like he did a 100MPH-20 in about 25 yards. I have got to try that.

Take it easy...

FrozenSmoke