Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

RCU slow

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCU slow

Is it just me or is anyone else finding the site very slow? It's getting to the point that I hesitate using it anymore. I don't have problems with other sites.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Lock me out sometimes too, have to reboot browser,,, been this way for a while,,, admins will say it's you machines issue,, but it's only on RCU,, go figure
Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 AM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, we have a forum for technical issues; I'm going to move this thread there and proceed with logging this with our techs.

In the future, please use the tech forum, since stuff like this can just get ignored elsewhere!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry IBobi, but for us "challenged" users this is a Forum Problem and belongs in this forum!!! If your techs want to ignore it than it is a bigger problem. RCU is slow and it is not my machine or connection. All other sites I use load fine. ONLY RCU is a problem...
Old 09-14-2014, 04:18 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

45 seconds to get from main page to "My Forums"
Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 PM
IBobi

Tech is working on this slowness issue.

FYI the reason we report tech issues in the tech support forum is so tech can see them. If you just post them wherever, they won't be seen and the issue will persist. Thus, this has been moved here to the tech forum.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 PM
melgraham

Well,
It seems as if they are on extended vacation or perhaps out to lunch??
This is not meant as sarcasm, but the slow loads and refresh has been a problem for some time. It was not much worse back in the days of W.W.W. (wait).I spend a fair amount of time on line browsing and this is definitely the slowest of the slow.
Again, I do not intend this as sarcasm or to be rude. But guys, honestly, can or do you intend to correct this?
If it is just honestly a business factor/cost issue, fine. Let us know and we can all accept or move on.
Mel
Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 AM
IBobi

No offense taken Mel -- we're really working on the issue. This is not a question of slow servers -- we've added hardware and there is a glitch that is keeping RCU from running at top speed for some users. I hope to have it ironed out soon!

Paul
Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM
melgraham

Paul,
Thank you for the response. I do enjoy RCU, but it is very frustrating to have to wait for the pages to load. That was a very important issue when I had a commercial site. People just do not have patience and quickly move on to other places. For me, that was not acceptable as the site was a part of our sale income. Fortunately, that is not the entire picture for RCU.
I do hope you will resolve the glitch soon.

Mel
Old 12-19-2014, 04:37 PM
woodie

Any progress on the slow response issues with RCU? Like others have stated, RCU can be painfully slow making forum usage pretty frustrating. This is not a new issue, has been going on for some time. Even with cookies active, ad blockers turned off, etc, switching forums can take minutes. Tried different browsers, IE, Firefox, Chrome... no difference. In some cases, when I open RCU, it doesn't seem to recognize cookies and will ask me to log on. Refreshing the screen sometimes makes it recognize my cookies and my previous login. Not specific to a time of day, basically, it happens all the time.

So basically, what is the problem? No my computer nor my connection, other sites are fast to load and move between forums quickly.

Woodie
Old 12-19-2014, 04:41 PM
IBobi

We have not seen a lot of reports on slowness. Especially not *minutes* to load a page. Sounds like it is a browser issue or perhaps you need to run A/V on your machine?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:53 PM
woodie

Thanks for the quick response. And for the suggestions on what to try, however, all those things have been considered (multiple browsers on multiple machines) and ensuring the machines were 'clean'. Recently got a new laptop and the performance of RCU on a brand new machine was basically the same. Your suggestion that it is my machine is the problem and no one else is reporting a lot of problems with slowness seems a bit strange after reading many threads here on RCU as well as talking to flying friends. They all report the same, RCU is by far the slowest RC site they visit.

Out of curiosity, I tried pinging various sites, all of which responded. pings to rcuniverse.com time out. Don't know if that means anything.

thanks again for the quick response
Woodie
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 AM
scale only 4 me

Seconds can seam like minutes all right,,

I wouldn't even describe it as slow,, its more like it "hangs" it either loads fast like it should or it hangs for a while then loads as it should. as always its an intermittent problem.

You can say as you guys always have in the past,, it must be my machine, a virus etc. etc., if so explain why it only happens when downloading pages here not all the other forums I/we browse?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

It's either really slow, or just barely slow. Never fast. Recently I get asked if I want to leave page when I've entered a comment, and if I say no I am directed back to the comment. If I say yes, then it enters the comment. It's hit or miss.

And was RCU down today? I pinged "is it down" and it said it was down for everyone for over 3 hours.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:48 AM
scale only 4 me

drag drag drag,, then this

very frustrating,, three tries to get in before I made it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rcu error.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2058361  
Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 AM
bokuda

Yeah. I've pretty much converted to rc groups.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 AM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IBobi
We have not seen a lot of reports on slowness. Especially not *minutes* to load a page. Sounds like it is a browser issue or perhaps you need to run A/V on your machine?
Another report of it being very slow. It starts to load and then dies... No other problems with any other websites, just this one. I have a T1 business speed connection
Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I started a thread here about database errors, site/pages not loading, and slow to load and was told it's an isolated case. I think not!
I just saw this thread with others having the same issues:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...rformance.html
Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Rob2160

It has been very slow for the past few days. I wait a few minutes for the first page to load and 80% of the time it fails to load. This is across numerous devices. Mac, PC, iPads and Iphones etc even on different wifi and cellular networks.seems ok today but in the past three days I have given up many times.

edit - it just took me 5 attempts to re open this to edit a typo. It got stuck each time.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-05-2015 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I clicked on subscriptions at 0900 this morning and saw new activity on the thread . I went to another tab/site to read a news story and 5 min later came back and clicked on this thread and the site timed-out. Kept trying until 0930 numerous times with times-outs and gave up.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:14 AM
scale only 4 me

pretty obvious we all have the same virus,,, pfft