Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

I can't post pics.. and a few other things...

Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

I can't post pics.. and a few other things...

Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I can't post pics.. and a few other things...

For the last few months, I'm not able to post pics. I get no prompt (that I can see) to manage attachments when I simply reply to a post using the "advanced" screen... that I used to use to post pics.

I do get the "manage attachments" prompt when I "quote" a post, then when I go to download, I drop the file into the d/l box, and it loads up to 50% and stops, then backs me out of the box.

Even this post gives me the "current attachments" box, with a description of acceptable file types, but that goes nowhere, with no prompt whatsoever.

What gives, and what am I doing wrong here. I'm pretty well versed on this site, and was actually a moderator for several years a long time ago. I've never been in trouble for anything either.. haha..So I'm just perplexed. Please advise. Thank you.

PS... I keep trying a few different things, and devices, but so far nothing I have works, and I have tried on three devices already.

PPS.... I also have a red "1" up in the right-hand corner, on the notification bell, like I have 1 private message in my inbox... but when I open my inbox there's no new messages, yet the "1" stays there... and has been there for probably 3 months or more. Thx.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:07 PM
bisco

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm a newbie, so i'm sure i can't help. on my iphone, i have to type my message, the click the download box, which lets me choose photo library. i forget exactly what it said, i'd have to look again.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:07 PM
DGrant

Thanks for your response...

I can get to the upload screen sometimes, and attach a file. It will upload to 50%, then I get an alert that says "not able to upload". All I can do at that point is to back out of the whole thing.

I've tried "drag and drop", I've tried "browse", and all will upload to 50% ... after that I get no love.

Also, the log-in doesn't even work correctly. To view the site and be logged in, I have to open an old email, that opens up with me logged in(for some very strange reason)... but to just open up the browser (I use Chrome on my PC/lap-top), when I go to the log-in prompt, and enter my screen name and password, it just backs me right out of it.. like I never entered a thing.

Come on Admins, please look into this. I've used the same devices and computers for years, and nothing has changed on my end that I'm even remotely aware of. This is the only site I'm having trouble with. I was away from it for quite a while, but in recent months have tried it out again, and would hope to keep going with it... but it's not going very well... not by a long shot.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-19-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 04:13 AM
rgburrill

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Thanks for your response...

I can get to the upload screen sometimes, and attach a file. It will upload to 50%, then I get an alert that says "not able to upload". All I can do at that point is to back out of the whole thing.

I've tried "drag and drop", I've tried "browse", and all will upload to 50% ... after that I get no love.

Also, the log-in doesn't even work correctly. To view the site and be logged in, I have to open an old email, that opens up with me logged in(for some very strange reason)... but to just open up the browser (I use Chrome on my PC/lap-top), when I go to the log-in prompt, and enter my screen name and password, it just backs me right out of it.. like I never entered a thing.

Come on Admins, please look into this. I've used the same devices and computers for years, and nothing has changed on my end that I'm even remotely aware of. This is the only site I'm having trouble with. I was away from it for quite a while, but in recent months have tried it out again, and would hope to keep going with it... but it's not going very well... not by a long shot.

Just to see I was able to upload this. Have you checked your files sizes?
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-28-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 AM
DGrant

Thank you for the response. That might have something to do with it. I hadn't done that, mostly because I'm still using the same phone device I've used for at least a few years and haven't changed any settings that I know of.

Looking at recent pics that I'm trying to upload they're over 6mb.. (6.88mb for the one I've been trying)...

I have older pics in my RCU "album" which are down in the 3mb and smaller size, some even down in the kg range. So it stands to reason my files exceed limits. I can upload and post smaller pics from my album, which is RCU based. I've just never had any restrictions, but yeah maybe the files are too big.

You definitely just gave me something to look into.
Thank you again, much appreciated.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:54 AM
IBJoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the response. That might have something to do with it. I hadn't done that, mostly because I'm still using the same phone device I've used for at least a few years and haven't changed any settings that I know of.

Looking at recent pics that I'm trying to upload they're over 6mb.. (6.88mb for the one I've been trying)...

I have older pics in my RCU "album" which are down in the 3mb and smaller size, some even down in the kg range. So it stands to reason my files exceed limits. I can upload and post smaller pics from my album, which is RCU based. I've just never had any restrictions, but yeah maybe the files are too big.

You definitely just gave me something to look into.
Thank you again, much appreciated.
I believe that for individual photos, the limit is 5MB.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:14 AM
DGrant

Thanks for the response. You're correct... I recently figured it out..

Update here too, it was definitely file size. I put a few 6mb size files through a file cruncher and they post up just fine. The cruncher reduced the files down to about half size.

Now to figure out what changed on my device and when. I know it's directly related to resolution, but I haven't changed any settings in a long time.

For what I usually do with pics, I don't see any noticeable difference in the 6.88mb file and the 3.44mb file, other than onscreen size.

it's all good. Mystery solved for now. Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:48 AM
IBJoel

Thanks for the response. You're correct... I recently figured it out..

Update here too, it was definitely file size. I put a few 6mb size files through a file cruncher and they post up just fine. The cruncher reduced the files down to about half size.

Now to figure out what changed on my device and when. I know it's directly related to resolution, but I haven't changed any settings in a long time.

For what I usually do with pics, I don't see any noticeable difference in the 6.88mb file and the 3.44mb file, other than onscreen size.

it's all good. Mystery solved for now. Thanks again for the input.
See if you have HDR enabled on your camera. That usually ups photo size significantly. Other than that, you got me.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:04 AM
GorillaToast

having trouble posting pics here myself. Whenever I try to preview the post with a pic in it that I’ve uploaded from my album, I get a V bulletin message that says “you are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 10 posts“. The pic I am trying to upload as a JPEG from my desktop, not a link from a URL. What am I missing?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:06 AM
IBJoel

Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
having trouble posting pics here myself. Whenever I try to preview the post with a pic in it that I’ve uploaded from my album, I get a V bulletin message that says “you are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 10 posts“. The pic I am trying to upload as a JPEG from my desktop, not a link from a URL. What am I missing?
Photos on the site function by linking to the URL of the photo in your gallery. Thus, photos are URLs.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 AM
GorillaToast

So, I would need to make 10 posts without pics to be able to ask the question I have. Is that correct? Odd, I have been a member of RCU for over 20 years, But have not been active in the last 15.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:54 AM
IBJoel

So, I would need to make 10 posts without pics to be able to ask the question I have. Is that correct? Odd, I have been a member of RCU for over 20 years, But have not been active in the last 15.
While you may have used the site, it looks like your profile/username is only 2 years old, with only 4 posts. I'd imagine you lost access to your old account at some point?
Old 09-21-2020, 11:00 AM
GorillaToast

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
While you may have used the site, it looks like your profile/username is only 2 years old, with only 4 posts. I'd imagine you lost access to your old account at some point?
I see. Thanks for the info. By "posts" does that include replies or just threads I've started?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:39 PM
DGrant

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
See if you have HDR enabled on your camera. That usually ups photo size significantly. Other than that, you got me.
Thanks Joel. In looking back at photos in my device I've taken over the last few years, the older pics are about half the size(file size) then newer pics. I'll look further into it and see what's up.
Something might have been changed in one of the updates to that device. I might not have known this had I not been trying to post up pics in this site.

I've been a member for a long time, and never had problems posting pics before, but over the years, and now using a few different devices, it stands to reason something changed. I'm sure I'm on the right track with it now.

So now can you tell me why I'm showing a red "#1" on my PM prompt, and I drop down the menu and it says "new private message", but when I open it up, there's nothing new. That's been on there for months or more as well. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:13 AM
IBJoel

Thanks Joel. In looking back at photos in my device I've taken over the last few years, the older pics are about half the size(file size) then newer pics. I'll look further into it and see what's up.
Something might have been changed in one of the updates to that device. I might not have known this had I not been trying to post up pics in this site.

I've been a member for a long time, and never had problems posting pics before, but over the years, and now using a few different devices, it stands to reason something changed. I'm sure I'm on the right track with it now.

So now can you tell me why I'm showing a red "#1" on my PM prompt, and I drop down the menu and it says "new private message", but when I open it up, there's nothing new. That's been on there for months or more as well. Thanks.
That's peculiar. I would clear your cache for RCU and see if that takes care of it.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:20 PM
bisco

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see. Thanks for the info. By "posts" does that include replies or just threads I've started?
posts are at least reponses in existing threads. not sure about creating a thread.

Last edited by bisco; 09-28-2020 at 12:23 PM.