Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Search Problem

Old 02-22-2004, 11:52 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search Problem

I just want to say right off that I love the site, and that I appreciate all the work that the sys admin's and moderators do. But I wouldn't be posting if I didn't honestly feel that there was something wrong.

Maybe it is just me but I have never been able to find much of anything when I do searches, especially when the are within the forum. Here is what I have been doing, I set the forum to display all threads, I set the "Search in" and that other box to "-----" or any combination of those pull downs (I've tried them all) and then type in my search term: ".020" (This is within the 1/2A forum). The results tend to be fairly limited and I know that they are missing some.

In fact, if you do the search (either in forum or with the advanced search), in the 1/2A forum for the term .020 these three threads should be showing up:

"Design Contest 2004 Contestants"
"Contest Entry for AJCoholic, Finished!! "
"Ragwing's Contest Entry: Lockheed Altair"

That last on is 11th from the top, the other two are above that even, and yet they don't get returned when I search for .020. Its not so much that I want to find these threads in a search. But I'm positive that the results returned fall way short of how many times .020 has been mentioned in this forum. I might be doing somthing wrong, but I've tried to spell out exactly what I'm doing.

This site is such a valuable resource because of the amount of expertise that is offered in each of the forums, I find it very frustrating that when I have a question I can't search for the anwser. In the forums we see the same topics come up over and over, and I think that is partly due to the cumbersome search engine. If people could just type in the word or phrase that they have questions about and see every time it has been mentioned on that forum, it would do everyone a great service.

Thank you for all you do to make this such a great site,

Derek Lee
Old 02-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Search Problem

I got 170 matches using this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...mitbutton=+OK+

if this seems right let me know and I'll tell you what I did. Mainly click the less precise match checkbox and change the minimum match from 10/1000 to 0/1000. set the forum drop down to 1/2A only.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:49 PM

I guess my question is, why can't it be that way in the forum?

Here's what I meant about repeat questions:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1%2F...1567008/tm.htm

Thanks for the help,

Derek
Old 02-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can actually...I just have to do some code tweaking to change paramaters around. I will put it on my list but when in doubt or when you need every result go to the advanced search page for all ranges and options.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:52 PM

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Derek
Old 03-12-2004, 07:52 PM

This has come up several times before....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Fuji...1618185/tm.htm