Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
 Slow starter & slow upload >

Slow starter & slow upload

Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Slow starter & slow upload

Old 03-09-2004, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow starter & slow upload

Hi - I'm back after a hiatus for a good reason. I didn't realise how much I've missed RCU.

The 'new' RCU is taking some getting used to - here are my two main problems at the moment :-

1/ I can't get onto RCU by typing in www.rcuniverse.com - well, I wait at least 5 minutes and nothing happens. I don't have the time or the patience to wait, so I cut out.

2/ I do get onto RCU by clicking on the www when I receive a reply or notification of a new post. This takes only seconds to download the post (ten or twenty) - sometimes - and other times, the download stops for several minutes (one or two) and then continues. I've never experienced this before on RCU or on other forums. Very time consuming and irritating.

3/ I have a further question - what happened to the posts on the 'old' RCU ? Can we still access them ?

Apart form these, it's good to be back.

Thanks MalcolmL
Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slow starter & slow upload

all the posts from the old site were moved here without exception.

as far as your other issues those are specific computer or network related to your system. you should try reinstalling your browser and checking your network settings. something is grossly wrong with your system
Old 03-10-2004, 07:10 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Well it ain't just him. Starting today, I get the ads at the top of the page, and then the page looks like it's locked up...but something is uploading as indicated on my status bar. It's like I've just cleaned my cache and my system is having to re-load all the Temporary Internet Files or something. Not locked up, but a massive upload to my system before the entire page will load.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Banned

did this start before 5PM EST or after?

what speed is your CPU? I added a tiny bit of javascript which should be unnoticeable on all but sub 1.2Ghz cpu's maybe.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:40 PM

HHhmmm..I'm not 100% sure, but seems like all day. I know it is pretty bad right now. I just timed 28 seconds from the time the forum home page loaded (the stuff across the top of the page and the 2 main ads at the top) and when I could actually scroll to the forums...you know how the scroll bar stays the full length of the page until the page full loads and the scroll bar goes to about 1" long...this took almost 30 seconds and something was loading the whole time. The little "upload-download computer screens in the task bar, one was lit solid and ZoneAlarms bar graph is gree the whole time. Something is loading and taking a LONG time. Not just the main forum. I Click on the FunFLy forum and I can see the ad at the top, the ProBro and OMP Sub-Forum headers...and then the same long load until the main FUnFly Forum loads.

My CPU is just a 750 Mhz, but it was working fine yesterday (and it works fine on every other website out there)
Old 03-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Banned

I think your cpu is bogging down with the javascript if this is sitewide. try early in the morning and let me know if it is slow still. if so I will pull the code whil you are on and see if it speeds up to figure out if it is the cause.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having the same problem. Started yesrerday morning and gradually got worse. Takes a long time to download a page. Loads maybe, half the page. Wait maybe ten seconds and another 1/4 page loads. A while again, the rest of the page.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:37 PM

Yep, got that, too. Even after I set there and wait for the forum to actually open, when I try to scroll down the page I can out run the page load very quickly.

And please don't try to tell me it's my computer. It doen't take a 2.2 Ghz P4 to surf the 'net. My ol' 750 Athlon surfs every other website I go to very fast, thank you very much. And up until yesterday it surfed this site pretty quickly.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:42 PM

Still no change. This is ridiculous. It's bad enough that I have to watch a guy looking at the sun and a hand with 2 electric motors for 30 seconds every time I try to look at a topic, but as soon as I back out of the page, I have to go through the whole thing for 30 seconds again.

A wasted minute on every page view.

Maybe that was the new JavaScript..something to force me to look at the ads longer every time I reload a page. HaHa.

I see a rash of problems on subscibed threads. Coincidence or not, I'd gladly give up subscribed threads to be able to, you know, use the site.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:50 PM

I fool your pain, Chuck. Usually takes me an hr. to go through my stuff. Now it takes two hrs. so I only go through half of it. Ain't worth it.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:41 PM

Well, at about 3:30 PM CST whatever it was must have gotten turned off. I can actually surf the site now.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

I fool your pain, Chuck. Usually takes me an hr. to go through my stuff. Now it takes two hrs. so I only go through half of it. Ain't worth it.
Geez fellas..give me a break. A guy can't have a few hours or a day to find the problem? I believe it is found and fixed. There was a conflict with a dll we installed in the webserver which was causing issues. All should be fine now.

Have some faith in me boys. I am as much into speed as you guys are. I've been hunting it down since it was brought up. If something changes overnight it usually is by some code issue or conflict. We had a few changes in the last 48 hours so it took a bit to find the right one that did this.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Banned

yup chuck..we were posting at the same time. I just hunted it down and posted to let you guys know I fixed it.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:48 PM

Not trying to bust you up, but it was such a drastic change I figured it had to be something that could be easily traced.

Glad you got it worked out, the results were very immediately noticeable.

But hey, if we didn't gripe, you would never have known!

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:16 PM

Yah, knew you could do it. good work. i start to sweat when it feels like my right arm was cut off.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned

I am on a fast connection so it wasn't AS noticeable but it WAS noticeable to some degree. I thought maybe it was just me Unfortunately there were many things changed these past couple days so I had to look in a lot of places!

As always if things seem broken scream and yell to me but please KNOW that I will fix it especially when it comes to speed issues. Major code issues for new features can take longer in our development cycle but rest assured we have a list that will be addressed on the next major forum revision.