Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

What about a new category?

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yea T.Bob great idea
38.24%
No and your an idiot
61.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about a new category?

1/4 scales and 50cc in one group and 33% and larger in a different category.
Nothing against 1/4 scale or 50cc but there is so much on the market in this range maybe it should be on its own.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: What about a new category?

Yes and Electrics and all of their assocaited advertising should have their own site, RCUniverse, Gas and Glow and then RCUNiverse Electric!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:23 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there isa RCU all electric place. It's called Wattfkyer and has been around for almost a year
http://www.wattflyer.com
Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Looks like you are thinking about a narrow range of aircraft. I am building a 1/4 scale at the moment that has a 126 1/2 inch wingspan. The manufacturers of several of the most popular aerobatic aircraft already have active sub forums so it looks like things ars covered at this point.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As many times as some one say "we need a new catagory" The less RCU listens. Allot of catagories need to get broke down further. But they don't...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

really, I would like to see a giant scale aerobatics section to seperate such planes from Dehaveland Beaver builds, Zirolli P-51 discussions, and "retracts for my 1/3 scale cub" questions, etc. Nothing against that type of stuff, but I have about as much interest in it as I do in paying bills on time! Would be nice not to have to sift through that stuff...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
T. Bob

Only 50% think I'm an Idiot.
Thats better than I thought.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 AM
mvigod
Banned

50/50 split so far....

One thing we try to do is make categories so things are easier to find but there is a huge caveat when doing this and to illustrate you have to look at the two extreme examples to see why a balancing act is necessary. If you go too far one way or the other things don't work out well. That is the trick. I'd like to think we have done a decent job so far of this balancing act although I'm sure it is not perfect for many. It is always a work in progress too.

Example #1: One category for everything. Instead of the 230 plus forums we have NOW we consolidate it all into one single forum. This way people can find everything in one place. Downside is obvious in this extreme example. Lots of "noise" and unrelated stuff you don't care about. Too much info in one place making things difficult to find.

Example #2: Again the extreme example. Imagine a discrete category for everything we have here. We would have around 2000 forum. Can you imagine finding what you want among 2000 forums? For giant scale let's use the absurd to illustrate

Giants
50CC or under aerobatic
500cc or under non-aerobatic
51cc to 100cc aerobatic
51cc to 100cc non-aerobatic
101cc+ aerobatic
101cc+ non aerobatic
80" and under electric aerobatic
80" and under electric non-aerobatic
Over 80" electric aerobatic
Over 80" non-aerobatic

Obivously these examples are to illustrate both extremes...don't worry..we are doing either of those. What we do try and do is find the best happy middle ground to balance too many or too few. We want things easy to find and thus the reason for categories but not too many categories that the sheer volume of categories makes it difficult to find what you want or inhibits lively or broad discussions

this is the conundrum we always face.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Hooked-On-RC

well what you could do is remove all of the "electric stuff" from this site and move it over to the Watt Flyer or what ever that site is called, that way anyone that wants info on electric stuff can go there, gassers and glow can go somewhere else.

You could even make it one step easier have three seperate RC Universe sites for aviation, GAS stuff, GLOW stuff and ELECTRIC stuff. Coordinate the advertising on each site to pertain to the subject matter at hand. Sure some advertisers would be involved on all three sites and some would be targeted only to the select crowd. The aviation side is huge so you can use the same forums just divide it up by category, GAs, Glow or Electric!

T.Bob you are still an idiot!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:30 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

More Segregation
Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
T. Bob

Hooked-On-RC
Thankie
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

More Segregation
Read my post..this is one of the reasons NOT to split up any more than we have now. Again the balancing act...

member votes sit split right now on this. Keep votin'

I'll only do or not do what I think will work best for everyone. I do take member opinions into account as a sounding board so the communication is always good
Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Hooked-On-RC

okay if you are not going to segregate these forums then how about getting rid of the banners that do not apply to the sections. If the Wattflyer site is banner free then give them the banners that are appropriate for electric flying and take them off the other site! Can we possibly jam anymore advartising onto these pages now?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the advertising. I click on banner adds all the time. New products!! More toys!!

I am on cable at 6meg speeds, so it doesn't bother me. I don't block any of the banner ads or advertising on the site. I'm seeing it all in "full color"

I don't think TBobs original intent was he had an issue with the baner adds. I read it as he was wanting to split Giant Scale up into 2 different forums for 50cc and over 50cc.

I WOULD like to see the Giant Scale forum split up. But, I want it split up into aerobatic planes and everything else. I have my own bias. I don't care what kind of aerobatic plane it is. As long as it's an aerobatic plane and it's giant--I want that in a forum. All the general aviation and warbird stuff belongs in another forum.

Split Giant Scale up like this:
Aerobatics
General Aviation
Military

Giant scale rules still apply. But, no stipulation on engine size or type. I don't mind reading a thread about an 80" Extra with a Saito 300 twin. I think it's stupid, but I'll read it and don't mind seeing it in the Giant Aerobatics forum.

What I don't want to see in the Giant Aerobatics forum is another thread about a 35% Cub. That belongs in one of the other Giant forums--depending on the color scheme.

Let the General Aviation and Military guys argue about what they want in their forums. I don't read those.

Just keep my Aerobatics forum clean and free of that other garbage. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
T. Bob

[link=http://www.flyinggiants.com/default.php]flyinggiants.com[/link]

Seems to be picking up steam.

I think it's because it's a forum based more on larger aerobatic aircraft.

Maybe RCU should segregate a forum to this and leave out the large scale aircraft and the smaller 1/4 scales.

Just my 2cents.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet
Split Giant Scale up like this:
Aerobatics
General Aviation
Military
Very good idea Rcpilet.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hooked-On-RC

okay if you are not going to segregate these forums then how about getting rid of the banners that do not apply to the sections. If the Wattflyer site is banner free then give them the banners that are appropriate for electric flying and take them off the other site! Can we possibly jam anymore advartising onto these pages now?
More advertising? We have 3 to 4 ads on the page you are reading now. We have just one banner ad on the main giant scale thread listing page. To answer your question yes we can jam a lot more advertising onto these pages but likely will not for some time.

Also our ads are targeted as granular as we can get them right now but improvements are continually made to make them more contextual all the time. Those who fly glow/gas often cross over or have an interest too in electric so we zone electric ads to float in our regular airplane section too. At our field more than half the flyers that used to be just glow/gas now dabble in electric either a little or a lot. Just cuz you aren't interested in electric doesn't mean everyone else isn't remember. What you can do is click My Account atop any page and set your preference to AIRPLANES as primary and that will help you if you do not want to see non related stuff.

Marc
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 AM
glover1482

"No and your an idiot"

Not really, but did you mean: "No and you're an idiot", or "No and you are an idiot."

Browse these forums and you'll find plenty of them to be so narrow in scope that they don't receive posts for weeks at a time. Why create more black holes? What would really help is for people like me not to comment on subjects like this one. Now that would make searching RCU much faster.

Fly safe, Glover
Old 01-05-2007, 08:41 AM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

really, I would like to see a giant scale aerobatics section to seperate such planes from Dehaveland Beaver builds, Zirolli P-51 discussions, and "retracts for my 1/3 scale cub" questions, etc. Nothing against that type of stuff, but I have about as much interest in it as I do in paying bills on time! Would be nice not to have to sift through that stuff...
I toss my vote with this idea. I'm on the other end though. I would like to see just a section on Giant Scale everything other than 3D type of planes.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 PM
T. Bob

Next time I post something, why don't you moderators explain yourselves to the public before you erase it?
Just a question?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'm only an aerobatics guy... never read the warbirds stuff. BUT... here's my take.

50cc stuff should stay mixed with the bigger stuff. The 50cc guys typically migrate to bigger and keeping things mixed gives them more of a chance to learn. Plus it gives them the opportunity to ask questions of the big guns who more often then not have much more experience and a broader knowledge base... might even result in safer planes at the field. If you don't want to answer questions you don't have to.

Warbirds... eh. Could take or leave.

Here's the big pucture... every time you log in the new posts are in bold. I take a peek once a week or so and there generally aren't more than a couple pages to sift through... no big deal. It there were 20-30 pages then some segregation might be in order.