Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Spam thru RCU

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spam thru RCU

Admin,
I got spam that claims it came thru RCU from StartHeli.
Edwin
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Chasing Fear
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Spam thru RCU

Edwin,

I also received some unsolicited e-mail from them as well. I don't know if they got the e-mail address from RCU, but it is the address I have in my profile.

-Allan
Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Richie-EB4

Not sure if this link will work but i also get a warning off Norton about this sites Adware [X(]

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/sho....htm%239337447
Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 AM
qldviking

I got an email from them too, also kicked my AV into gear, also got some from other advertisers on here, again riddled with spyware. I am getting sick of it. what really gives me the poos is that thier so called sales price3s aint that good either.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It has nothing to do with RCU. Adware companies have some very sophisticated software that can do all sorts of unscrupulous things. They don't even need your full address.

If you have an address from your employer, all they need is the last part. Like, suppose your address is "[email protected]" - Now, if someone in your company is one of those email junkies that receives and forwards jokes all the time eventually one of these companies will get their hands on one of these things and it will have thousands of email addresses on it.

So they see "[email protected]" and they send a message to dishwasher.com and ask for a list of all its addresses, and the computer willingly complies.

By the same token, they can SEND email from YOUR address - or at least it LOOKS like it came from your address.

Personally, I think any company that spams your email should be blown up.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Richie-EB4

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

It has nothing to do with RCU. Adware companies have some very sophisticated software that can do all sorts of unscrupulous things. They don't even need your full address.

If you have an address from your employer, all they need is the last part. Like, suppose your address is ''[email protected]'' - Now, if someone in your company is one of those email junkies that receives and forwards jokes all the time eventually one of these companies will get their hands on one of these things and it will have thousands of email addresses on it.

So they see ''[email protected]'' and they send a message to dishwasher.com and ask for a list of all its addresses, and the computer willingly complies.

By the same token, they can SEND email from YOUR address - or at least it LOOKS like it came from your address.

Personally, I think any company that spams your email should be blown up.
T%hanks for your reply but that dont answer why my AV gives a warning about the site [&o]
Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 AM
MinnFlyer

If you notice, the warning is not about the site, per se, it is about the RCU Tool Bar.

All Tool Bars will send up that red flag. If you're not using the RCU Tool Bar, you have nothing to worry about.

Of course, if you're using ANYBODY's tool bar, you're running the same (albeit small) risk
Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Chasing Fear

MinnFlyer,

You certainly make valid points with your post, but I would put my computer up against anybody's computer in terms of cleanliness. You name a way to prevent/catch/remove viruses and spyware and I probably use it.

I don't think this is a spamware/virus type issue. If it is, it must somehow be connected to this site. What other site would we all visit that we would get tagged for RC related products?

Now, to be fair, my first suspicion was not that they got the e-mail from RCU. I placed an order with xheli.com earlier in the week. My first thought was that they were passing on computer information.

-Allan
Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
MinnFlyer

Although I am not an administrator at RCU, I do have an inside edge, and I can assure you that RCU does NOT give out email addresses. That said, it would not be very difficult for a company to somehow gather email addresses from any forum-based website.

My email account is through my office. We ARE a web-based company, so we have more protection than a high school kid on prom night, yet I still get spam that beats all of our defenses by claiming it is from RCU (as well as several other sources including people in my mailing list).

Hell, I even get tons of spam from "[email protected]" which is one of my OWN email addresses! [X(][:@]
Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 AM
qldviking

I have just had a long talk with a buddy who's a puter programmer, and what MinnFlyer has said is basicly true. Whats happening tho is these companies that are advertising have spyware cookies embedded in the ads, and as soon as that ad appears on your puter the spyware instantly loads whatever info its designed to, be it your email addy, or other details. While most are relatively harmless, there are some out there that go for financial info. Now, depending on how good your spyware is and what cookies the thieves are using will determine what gets out. While RCU isnt at fault per se, They should be exercising more control over the content of advertisers ads and whats actually in them. Especially considering the fact that you have open all your firewalls etc to be able to do anything on here eg posting on forums, using the market place etc, which also opens the gates for the malware to get through.
Admin and mods please note, there are several of your advertisers using spyware thats doing more than just counting visits!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
mvigod
Banned

There is no spyware on rcu. 

The emails were not from us.  It is very easy to gather your email either from any website it was ever posted on or from "tarpitting" (you can look that up)

Toolbars can set of anti virus software because of their very nature but that does not mean it is infected or malicious.  Our software has not changed for 5 years on our toolbar.  I just looked at the date stamps to ensure nothing was tampered with too.  So the toolbar you install from rcu is the same one users have installed for 5 plus years.

The ads on our site do not have spyware embeded in the ads.  Almost all ads are loaded from rcu's servers.  For those that are not the loading code is still ours. Your browser will protect you from any image attempting to read a cookie from another site. In other words I cannot read cookies unless they are from OUR OWN domain "rcuniverse.com".  So no ad is going to spy on you and read your rcu cookie. 

What you should look out for are rogue flash based ads and such.  However we load these into our system and check them before they ever go live.  Plus we deal with real reputable companies directly.  Our advertising is not a signup and go process. They must speak with us, sign contracts, etc.  This avoids any fraud or issues.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:58 PM
qldviking

My email addy can be easily picked up elsewhere, but my rcu user id? and an email stating that " as a rcu member you are entitled to....." ? and the ones I have gotten to date have had very little if any interest for me, eg. I am NOT interested in flying "foamies or tiny IR helis" etc Another email was from a hobby shop I have never heard of before.

Where can I forward any future "spam" so you can see for yourself what I am talking about?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:29 PM
MinnFlyer

You can forward it anywhere you like, but it won't do any good. This is what I am trying to say... RCU has nothing to do with it. Companies will send out crawlers to search sites like RCU, RCGroupies, and the rest. The crawlers will suck whatever info they want from the sites and send out spam.

*IF* you get these unsolicited emails from an RCU advertiser (List of advertisers available at the top) you could send in a complaint, but more than likely, these do NOT come from advertisers.

You only option is to reply to the email and ask thet they remove you from their list. If they are a reputable company, they will comply, of course, if they were a reputable company, they wouldn't have sent it in the first place, so don't be surprised if they ignore your request and continue the spamming
Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Chasing Fear

Fellas,

I think we are barking up the wrong tree. Can they just be using the e-mail link on the bottom left of every
post? It might just be some "manual" spam.

The first line of the e-mail I received says:

The following was sent to you through RC Universe:
-

Maybe one of the mods can verify that this gets added to the top of e-mails sent via the post link.

-Allan

Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
mvigod
Banned

Also we do send out an email of promotions from our partners a few times a month.  If you get those there is unsubscribe info at the bottom.  You can go into your account settings and look for the Partner email option. If you do not want these partner promotions (sent directly by RCU and not the vendors) then uncheck it

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: Chasing Fear
I think we are barking up the wrong tree. Can they just be using the e-mail link on the bottom left of every
post?
It might just be some ''manual'' spam.

The first line of the e-mail I received says:

The following was sent to you through RC Universe:
-

Maybe one of the mods can verify that this gets added to the top of e-mails sent via the post link.

-Allan
That sounds plausible to me, but I got this spam email also and I have the email-link-in-posts disabled (at least I think so).

Could be just a coincidence, but in the email I got, they seemed to know what brand and type of heli's I'm into.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Edwin

Got another today. I replied to him that RCU doesnt endorse him and that I am spreading the word he is a scammer. At least we are doing that in the club.
Edwin
Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
mvigod
Banned

let me know the username and/or email so we can ban the account
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Edwin

[email protected]

Edwin
Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
cyclops2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just emailed me now.

Rich. Into the blocked list.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 PM
mvigod
Banned

edwin that email is not in the db.  I think they are not mailing through the rcu mail server but rather making it look as if they are
Old 01-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Edwin

Not surprised. We're spreading the word they are scammers.
Edwin
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

edwin that email is not in the db. I think they are not mailing through the rcu mail server but rather making it look as if they are
Mine came from [email protected] ... different from what edwin gave
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
cyclops2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blocked them both. Spyware found NO adware. ..[]

All their offers are different web sites.
If they bug me I send them 15 minutes of solid Emails every hour for days. Then they ask me to stop bugging them. Fat chance once this Pit Bull sinks his teeth in.[:@]

Rich

Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Edwin

Sickem cyclops.
Edwin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.