RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Forum questions or problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forum-questions-problems-239/)
-   -   For God's Sake...TURN OFF INLINE ATTACHMENTS!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forum-questions-problems-239/11654976-gods-sake-turn-off-inline-attachments.html)

T3chDad 10-04-2018 04:00 AM

For God's Sake...TURN OFF INLINE ATTACHMENTS!!!

Just look through any thread with picture attachments. Someone posts 5 huge images and then you get to scroll past the same images 10 more times due to the quoted replies. Please explain the benefit over having clickable thumbnails of the attachments at the bottom of posts.

Thank you!

rgburrill 10-04-2018 08:36 AM

Man it is so difficult to click through photos that are quoted. I don't know how I will be able to survive the horror of it.

scale only 4 me 10-04-2018 10:22 AM

Being able to click past it doesn't make it less annoying,, asking for it to be how most forums display pics, namely thumb, isn't asking that much

IBThomas 10-08-2018 08:18 AM

A lot of our users prefer to be able to see the pictures as they browse as opposed to having to click on individual thumbnails. Although we wish we can, we can't please everyone's personal preferences of browsing experience.

mongo 10-08-2018 10:10 PM

look into excluding them from quotes then...

T3chDad 10-09-2018 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mongo (Post 12469200)
look into excluding them from quotes then...

Yes. From the looks of the VBulletin config and BBCode, you had to go out of your way to include the inline attachments in quotes (maybe different in your version). I'm okay with inline attachments if they can be excluded from quotes. :)

IBThomas 10-09-2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by T3chDad (Post 12469244)
Yes. From the looks of the VBulletin config and BBCode, you had to go out of your way to include the inline attachments in quotes (maybe different in your version). I'm okay with inline attachments if they can be excluded from quotes. :)

I'll bring this up with our team and see if it's something we can fit into an update.

1QwkSport2.5r 10-09-2018 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by IBThomas (Post 12469015)
A lot of our users prefer to be able to see the pictures as they browse as opposed to having to click on individual thumbnails. Although we wish we can, we can't please everyone's personal preferences of browsing experience.

I don’t remember seeing a poll or thread related to this issue. I find it quite annoying to read a thread that has several huge photos before the text of the post. It’s only compounded when a post with many photos are quoted so the photo count is automatically doubled. I have a feeling if the users were actually polled, the majority would favor clickable thumbnail images instead.

scale only 4 me 10-10-2018 01:31 AM

LOL.. Yeah, I'm calling BS on that

I'm betting it's putting lip stick on a pig,, probably a glitch they can't or don't know how to fix, No site does this but this one since the "up grade"

mongo 10-10-2018 10:13 AM

you saw how they managed to get the size thing working in the for sale stuff. they just defaulted the pic to full size in the add window, and just make you click it to be able to see the whole pic.

scale only 4 me 10-11-2018 03:58 AM

RCtech, also a IB owned web site has the same format, it's annoying to say the least,, I don't know what the problem is,, Aren't these are just options on the admin control panel?,, should be easy to change to thumbs no?

IBThomas 10-12-2018 09:17 AM

I'll talk to our tech team and see if there's any thing we can do about the images.

However, I think the logic behind having the images appear in quotes is that it makes piecing a conversation together easier. While it can be annoying when there's a quote chain, it is helpful to be able to see the pictures quoted in a one off quote, or chain that is two participants deep. I'm unsure if we can "customize" the settings to such an extent where pictures will appear in one quote, but not a chain.

1QwkSport2.5r 10-12-2018 09:55 AM

Why not poll the actual users of the forum asking whether they prefer inline images or thumbnails in threads and go from there. IIRC, thumbnails weren’t included in quotes prior to the update.

1QwkSport2.5r 12-01-2018 07:37 AM

(Crickets). Sad.

T3chDad 12-01-2018 01:45 PM

Yeah...starting to think they're not capable of fixing it. I was obviously thumbnails at one time.

1QwkSport2.5r 12-01-2018 11:35 PM

I doubt it’s a matter if they can, but rather if they will. I have a hard time believing that something like that is a “hardwired” setting that cannot he changed. And this magical idea that most users would rather have it that way..... yeah right.

T3chDad 12-02-2018 04:08 PM

Yup...pretty much. RCU...config/ui/behavior...(not content or community) pretty much sucks when coming from a well-managed, modern site. The only reason I still come here is the turbine community. I wish I could talk them into going somewhere else. :D

1QwkSport2.5r 12-04-2018 11:14 PM

I guess we’re the minorities in our thoughts on the subject. Call me snarky, but it sure would be nice if we at least had the option to turn the damn inline images off. For crying out loud, we can turn images off completely... I guess I turn images off and change settings when I need to view an image.

Oh well. It’s like fighting the government it seems. The folks that speak up and try to make a difference (voting) get stomped into a mud hole (because every candidate sucks, just in a different way. Some worse than others). The lesser of two evils they say.

IBThomas 12-06-2018 10:18 AM

I'll talk to our tech team and see if there's a way we can create an option for you to not see quoted pictures.

T3chDad 12-06-2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by IBThomas (Post 12484001)
I'll talk to our tech team and see if there's a way we can create an option for you to not see quoted pictures.

Thank you.

1QwkSport2.5r 12-30-2018 07:39 AM

My biggest annoyance with the inline images - editing a post on a mobile device with images. Since the images attach to the TOP of the post, one must scroll 4-5 “lines” at a time screen after screen to scroll past the images and finally edit the text. Everyone uses mobile devices now. It’s a pain in the ass to force the images to be inline. They didn’t use to be like that and they aren’t inserted inline on the other big competing RC forum. They are/were thumbnailed and aren’t shown in the body of a post when editing. Please, for the love of sanity, consider going back to clickable thumbnailed images. I have little interest in posting images or really adding any further content until something changes.

scale only 4 me 12-30-2018 12:17 PM

Face it buddy,, they just don't care

1QwkSport2.5r 12-30-2018 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 12489566)
Face it buddy,, they just don't care

That’s the idea I get. It’s like a mom and pop shop getting overrun by corporate America.

IBJoel 12-31-2018 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So you should be able to still technically do this. Just go here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

And select the Standard Editor for text editing and save. This isn't really supported, so it's more of a work around at this time.

T3chDad 12-20-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 12489785)
So you should be able to still technically do this. Just go here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

And select the Standard Editor for text editing and save. This isn't really supported, so it's more of a work around at this time.

OMG! I'm sorry I missed this post! Thank you. I just tested it and it works great. Now I won't have people quoting all of my images anymore. It will help making build and how-to threads much better.