Notices
FPV Aircraft Talk about aircraft used in First-Peson View flying. This includes all types of FPV RC flying including Aircraft, Helicopters, Drones, etc ...

Giant Delta wing made from scratch

Old 04-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Airsailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Delta wing made from scratch

I have available a 40 CC two stroke gas engine. Ready to start a new project building from scatch (balsa and other kind of woods) delta wing. I would appreciate any source of a nice construction plan.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow 40 CC man that could be one big flying wing. The students I had built one from an 8 ft sheet of foam that was powered with an OS 1.08. It flew like crazy and lifted more than 20 lbs of payload. I was the pilot and mentor for the university team that won everything their first time out. The three students were exceptional and proved it by winning their class.

If the pictures are large and blurry click on one and they all will come into focus better.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...nhhNU5wSjl6Wk0

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 04-07-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Airsailor

Thank Dennis for all these nice pictures.
Actually, the engine I am planning to use for this project is comming from a stihl fs 450 brushcutter machine.(44.3 cc, 2.1 KW)
Probably with this power, I can go up to 4 - 5 m wing span. I need to make some calculations.
The idea is to carry on an FPV equipment for long range slow speed flights (around 10 Km)
I dont have experience building flying wings.I am thinking a balsa rib construction planked with a decent thick sheet and finished with monokte.
I am plannig to oversize some designs like sidewinder or 102" wing span (if I get the plans).
Any suggestion would be more than welcome !!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Propworn

You realize there is a lot more to flying BLOS and legally I don't know if you can even do it in the US. In Canada there are a ton of hoops you will have to go through before you are even considered for BLOS. In both countries this would no longer be considered to be hobby related and I believe you would have to approach it as commercial including your own insurance and what ever tests/licences that would be required. A multi rotor is one thing a large model aircraft is going to need a big enough space to take off and land which also might be difficult to come by.

Dennis
Old 04-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Airsailor

Thanks for your comments. Actually this UAV is projected for flying in Bogota Colombia, city I am living in. Regulations for UAVs here are no so tight as in North America, however its a good point to consider.
In the club I am flying in, we have flown birds up to 3 m span.
Do you know where can I get decent plans for balsa and hardwood construction for a Delta wing like this ?
From your experience point of view, which configuration for low speed flight could be better; pusher or front engine ?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Airsailor
Thanks for your comments. Actually this UAV is projected for flying in Bogota Colombia, city I am living in. Regulations for UAVs here are no so tight as in North America, however its a good point to consider.
In the club I am flying in, we have flown birds up to 3 m span.
Do you know where can I get decent plans for balsa and hardwood construction for a Delta wing like this ?
From your experience point of view, which configuration for low speed flight could be better; pusher or front engine ?
I would cut it out of foam and sheet with 3/32 inch balsa sheets. Cut channels for spars install sheeting over everything. Front engine is more efficient but the rear engine allows for unobstructed camera view. Keep it light and slow flight is not a problem. Take a look at flying wing gliders and copy that airfoil. Slope soaring airfoils will allow slow flight but good forward speed when needed. I would go electric no larger than 8 ft lots of wing area to carry batteries. Two motors tractor and pusher with folding props. Each motor capable of flying the wing. One motor fails the other will get the job done. Both motors running gets you off the ground and at altitude fast then shut one down to conserve power and clear the camera.