Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Good radio for FPV

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Good radio for FPV

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM
redraze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good radio for FPV

I am in a few months going to start into fpv and I was looking to get the best radio, my main goal is going for the range distance of 1-2 kms or better. Right now I have a HK-T4A V2 4 channel from hobbyking and a FMS FHSS N.4 and I can't get very far with either of them before they cut out.
I have selected 4 radio's that might be good for what I want and in my price range but I can't find details on range/distance.

1. spectrum DX6i 6-Channel Full Range w/o Servos MD2

2. Hitec Optic 6 2.4GHz TX w/Optima 7ch Rx

3. airtronics SD-6G 2.4GHS Radio System with 6 channel receiver

4. Futaba 6EX Transmitter and R617FS 6-ch Receiver with the 2.4GHz
FASST system

These are 2.4ghz but If someone can show me otherwise I might go FM.
My flight location will be bancroft and I don't think I will run into anyone on FM
I guess what i'm looking for is how far can they operate, problems I should know about and good experiances anyone might have with FPV.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Good radio for FPV

Those will all have about the same range. 2km is going to be at the edge of the range of any hobby grade system though. I'd suggest some serious testing before actually flying that far. You might also check the legalities of flying beyond your visual range. In the U.S., it's against the AMA safety code to do so.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 AM
jetmech05

I have no idea what fpv is......but basically for us hobbiest we are line of sight...once the airplane gets too far to tell what it is doing we have lost control by sight...the radio will usually still respond to inputs....I believe that you aren't supposed to but RC fields within 3 miles of each other, back when we wrer 72 meg
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

I'm no expert, but I've read some stuff.

1. In general, FM will trasmit and receive a bit farther than 2.4.
2. In general, the distance the systems will transmit are line of sight only. So, the further you are away from your plane, the higher elevation that plane must be.

If you can manage to obtain a super powerful (and super illegal) system, I'm sure both of the above will be proven untrue. It will also cost super amounts of money, heh. One system was over $45,000.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
redraze

$45,000 yikes lol
I'm not going to be further away then the 1-1.5 km so I guess any of the radio models I have chosen should be fine?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
armody

I've been using Hitec's Electron 6 FM receiver, I never had a range problem, once a friend of mine took it at least 1 mile 1.6 km away and I was still able to fly it good, recover it and did very well. I never had any problem with Hitec's Electron 6 and radio I was using was FM JR XF421EX. I've recently bought Hitec Aurora 9 2.4 Ghz, with Optima 7 Receiver, and still researching on it, have not used yet, but soon as my plane is coming out of recovery hospital lol, I mean repair.

I read on the box of Electron 6 or somewhere it has almost 1 1/2 to 2 KM range which is 1 to 1.25 Miles. Do some research on google. Also check out some FPV videos on Youtube and ask those guys who posted the videos, they would certainly respond back to you and you'd get a really good beneficial feedback from 'em.

Good Luck on your FPV (First Person View)

Mody
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I know 2 people who fly FPV. They tested a ton of different set ups and found that FM was good for about 4 miles, and 2.4 was only good for 2 to 2 1/2 mile max. They both have switched to 2.4 with a 1 watt booster on the back of DX7's and the range, if I remember right is well over 10 miles.

But for you, I would say 72 would get you out to the 4 mile range.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
panhndl

I am going to say that 1 mile and under should be fine, line of sight. It might be ok for minor items coming between you and your model. I wouldn't try to fly your plane a mile away in downtown New York City with buildings between you and your plane, heh. Besides being illegal and dangerous, I don't think your signal would be solid enough to maintain control of the plane.

I watched a video of an electric plane that went up to over 6200 feet on FPV. I *think* the pilot basically kept the plane right above him, but I honestly couldn't say for sure. I also don't know what the field elevation was, but suffice it to say, he was flying at least 4000 feet above himself. I think a mile is 5280 feet so the plane was nearing the limits of your goal and seemed to fly with little interference or problems. I have to admit, it was pretty sweet when he broke through the clouds at about 5500 feet because where he took off was cloudy and overcast. Up there is was bright and sunny.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM
carrellh

Check http://maac.ca for guidelines, and possibly laws, related to FPV flying in Canada
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: jetmech05
I have no idea what fpv is......
FPV = first person view (flying the model as if you are in the cockpit via a camera, with video downlink, mounted in the plane).

This is just a general rant, not directed toward jetmech:

The more 'cool' youtube videos, forum posts, etc........ we see about flying at extreme altitude and distance from the transmitter.... the more likely we are to see hardcore regulations (at least in USA) on modeling activities.

We had the 'man your computers' emails recently from AMA regarding possible FAA regulations yet we continue with exactly what they claim makes RC modeling a threat to civilization.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry be here's my 2-cents... this doesnt belong here.... people associating First Person View(FPV/UAV)with how us regular RC Modelers fly isnt a good thing.... if a pilot crashes his aircraft into a person or home, it will make us line of sight RCers look bad
Old 03-23-2011, 06:32 PM
redraze

Just so you know I'm a "benniner" to fpv and since there's no main FPV topic I posted here.
The plane will be flown in a place that's 98% forest and lakes 1 km away from homes and roads. I have to take an atv back to a flat clearing where I will fly
It doesn't matter what you fly you can hit someone with a plane standing 2 feet from you if something goes wrong, having a vid camara on board doesn't mean a thing.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM
panhndl

I live in a rural area and would love to have a fpv plane I could fly all over my ranch, but I decided it would be too much of a temptation to do something I prolly shouldn't. None the less, the fpv is a fascinating option if done correctly.

My personal favorite rc plane videos are the ones where a bird is attacking the plane. Those are so sweet.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: redraze

since there's no main FPV topic I posted here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_486/tt.htm
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was in the central valley of Calif. the farmers discovered there best form of pest bird control was allowing varmint hunting on there farms. It took us a couple of months to remove the crow problem on outlying farms in the Madera area. Funny, the old town area didn't allow us in the area and were covered in crow poop. OZ however can't do that, some time ago they decided to ban guns. I'm sure model airplanes will work just as well though.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: redraze

Just so you know I'm a ''benniner'' to fpv and since there's no main FPV topic I posted here.
The plane will be flown in a place that's 98% forest and lakes 1 km away from homes and roads. I have to take an atv back to a flat clearing where I will fly
It doesn't matter what you fly you can hit someone with a plane standing 2 feet from you if something goes wrong, having a vid camara on board doesn't mean a thing.
As I understand them, I would not consider an FPV a beginners plane at all. I would think that one should at least have some limited experience with RC flight before venturing into flying one of those... don't get me wrong, I don't fly them, and don't know much about them, but considering what I've read here, well, they are a bit more complex than a beginner's four channel RC trainer aircraft.

With that said, my point here is that if someone wants to start a thread on such an aircraft, would it be better in the UAVs and Drones forum? I'm just looking for a place where there might be similar interest and get the OP more information than here in the Beginners Forum.

I'm not moving it, I'm just making a suggestion.

CGr.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 AM
redraze

Can you move this for me CG? Plz and thank you. I looked up fpv on the search option and it came up with 226 something and a blank page (something wrong with rc search?), never thought of looking for uav.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 AM
CGRetired

Sure, I can move it if you wish. I just didn't want folks to think that I would move it without asking. Some threads, I'll just move because they are obviously in the wrong place, but this one, well, I wanted to make sure first.

I'll wait a little while and move it shortly.

CGr.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 AM
redraze

Ok thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
plane-addict

I think most if not all mentioned radios will work at the distance that you are targeting. However, like most other fpv-ers, after some time you will want to go out further and then nothing is better than one of the 433MHz add-ons that you connect to your radio.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
redraze

ORIGINAL: plane-addict

I think most if not all mentioned radios will work at the distance that you are targeting. However, like most other fpv-ers, after some time you will want to go out further and then nothing is better than one of the 433MHz add-ons that you connect to your radio.
Can you explain in more detail?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Dave

The incurred losses on 2.4GHz band are higher than on 72MHz  therefore the 72MHz radio have a better range,and it is a better choice for this application.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Dave

The incurred losses on 2.4GHz band are higher than on 72MHz  therefore the 72MHz radio have a better range,and it is a better choice for this application.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Dave

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
redraze

lol tripple post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.