Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

line folowing aerial vehicle

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

line folowing aerial vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 AM
harsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default line folowing aerial vehicle

well as you all have probably predicted what this thread is all about...
i want to Make a line following aerial vehicle which can follow a line on the ground. Important thing is the areal vehicle is to perform in a closed room or may be an auditorium,the limitation of the flight height is abt 2.5m... any ways what i have in mind is to use the concept of a line following robot and use it to follow a line but the questions which are making things difficult are ..
1> the platform i shud use, i.e whether the vehicle be an airplane or a hovercraft.. or a vtol aircraft.
2> what sensors i have to use in order to precisely detect the line on the ground..

my background details are ...
involved in the hobby of r/c plane flying and construction for past 6 years.. so designing a airplane is not an issue..on the other hand just finnished my 1st project of the line following robot and hence have enough knowledge for setting up and controlling things with a microcontroller...
help me guys
Old 08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
mboland

Default RE: line folowing aerial vehicle

It seems like the best options if you want an airborne vehicle would be a Heli or a quadcopter.
In part it would depend on your payload and it's weight.
What size craft are you anticipating? How big is the 'indoors'?

Are you looking for visual recognition of the line or electromagnetic recognition?
Big difference in developing the 2 systems.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
harsh

these are the details regarding the path to be followed by the vehicle
___
white line on a dark background
The path could be in any reasonably curvy shape ( without sharp turns and without criss-cross ).
There would be a white line of 10cm thickness (on a black background).
The arena is a dimly lit hall .
including an camera will be out of the budget and may be out of my programing skills .. told ya guys i have just started.. these
i preffer electomagnetic approach....it will be in my budget..and using camera is not in my skills right now...may be for future projects
Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 AM
mboland

With an electromagnetic approach the colour and lighting is immaterial.

Something like the Ardupilot or Paparazzi would be a place to start, and next would be the question of what sensors you are going to use.

If you are going to follow a wire with a signal in it then you will need a detector to pick up that signal and give a value to the microcontroller.
Your software will simply detect the strongest signal path to follow and use that to drive you guidance, most likely the rudder input.

I would suggest you download the Ardupilot code and have a look through it to determine if it suites your needs or you can cope with that level of code, because that is what you will need to work with to produce a guidance system.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM
harsh

i think using ir sensor pair will do the job... using a hover craft will solve the altitude mannagement issue...and then using ir pair sensors for detecting the line will be easy....since the width of the line is 10cm and the hovercraft will stay close to the line... the traditional line following algorithm will work...