RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   FPV, UAV & Drones (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-uav-drones-486/)
-   -   FPV on a 70' Extra 300 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-uav-drones-486/11639644-fpv-70-extra-300-a.html)

Gryphus31 06-13-2017 04:02 AM

FPV on a 70' Extra 300

Hello world !

I come to you with a question about FPV flying. I'm currently building an Extra 300 from scratch. The aircraft will be 1,8m (70') of wingspan, weight around 3,5Kg (8lbs) and I am mounting a gas engine of 30cc on it.

The aircraft main function will aerobatics. However, I would like to be able to do some FPV flight with it, mainly for landscape seeing when I go to the beach, or the mountain. That is to say, FPV flight will be quite gentle for sight seeing.
As you might guess, for an aircraft of more than 3kg with a 30cc engine, adding 300g is really not an issue, even more so for gentle flying. So weight is not an issue here.

To begin with FPV, I plan on having my laptop as a display. And here comes the question : What camera, and more importantly emmiter/reciever should I use ?

I need medium to long range (up to 1km), rather good quality (I would say 720p to begin), but most and foremost, incredibly low latency, as you can imagine.

I have seen various FPV "kits" but I must admit I'm a little lost with everything you find on the web. I've seen the Connex pro sight, what do you think of it ?
Budget is not really an issue but I would like to stay under 800$.

That being said, I'm all ears !

Jaybird 06-13-2017 07:15 AM

Sorry for trolling, but I'd say the most important feature would be a good spotter. This sounds like the wrong plane for the job in my opinion.

Jaybird

rgburrill 06-13-2017 07:47 AM

A 30cc engine on a 70 foot wingspan plane might be a little small.:p

Gryphus31 06-14-2017 05:05 AM

All right guys, however this doesn't really help me. Fact is, my Extra is what it is, and I want to use it in FPV. However I wander how to FPV.

rburril : 30cc on a 3,5kg plane ? Too small ?? That sh*t has a 7kg vertical force !

mustangman177 06-29-2017 06:44 AM

fpv.

Originally Posted by Gryphus31 (Post 12344282)
All right guys, however this doesn't really help me. Fact is, my Extra is what it is, and I want to use it in FPV. However I wander how to FPV.

rburril : 30cc on a 3,5kg plane ? Too small ?? That sh*t has a 7kg vertical force !

I had the same idea when I first got into FPV several years ago. That is to attach a camera to my existing nitro plane and fly with goggles. After reading on several FPV forums I learned a lot about flying FPV.

1. First thing is that nitros and gassers are not meant for FPV. Get an electric because of the vibration issue you will have with nitros. This will distort your image and possibly crash your plane.

2. With a large nitro plane, it you lose video signal and orientation of your plane, there will be a much larger chance of damage to personnel property or bodily damage. AMA may not cover this type of loss.

3. Go to a FPV forum (there are plenty out there) and do some reading and see what other people are using, what works and what does not.

4. Do you know anyone else who flys FPV ? If so, get their help. If not seek it out. I had no one to help me and I attended several FPV flying events to find out what I was getting into and what to do to make it successful.

Please be careful with your endeavors. I really would not put a camera on a nitro plane, especially if this is your first experience with flying FPV. When using goggles or a monitor, your field of view will be 31 degrees, a lot different from flying line of sight and being able to see more area. It is a different type of flying that will improve as you fly more FPV.

One of my FPV flights using Parkzone Sensai

Cary

ican3d 07-27-2017 06:36 PM

2x problematic things happens on nitro when FPV:
  • Vibration on camera
  • Interference from spark plug might affect RF sensitive devices such as video transmitter and radio rx.

I usually fly on electric, which is easy to setup and give longer mileage on 960mm wingspan P-51D Mustang.

Video: