Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Free Flight
Reload this Page >

Good mono-wing scale rubber FF, with some wingspan

Notices
Free Flight Discuss all aspects of free flight right here!

Good mono-wing scale rubber FF, with some wingspan

Old 12-11-2014, 09:57 PM
BrightGarden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good mono-wing scale rubber FF, with some wingspan

I'm looking for a good scale rubber model, a pre WWII plane - single wing. That means pretty much between the wars, I guess.
I'm staring at the Rearwin Speedster 6000 plans online. I'd like to carve a prop, never done that before so I found one or two sources online that explain it a bit but might need some tips from someone who's done it before.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=692

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rearwin speedster 6000.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	2054306  
Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BG,

Many years ago (before plastic props came along) they did not include props with rubber powered model kits, or the stick models many of us designed when we could not afford kits.

Takes lots of patience to carve and sand wood props, and unfortunately they break all too easily.

Prop blanks are not too hard to find these days, so much of the laborious carving is minimized, but they are still time consuming to finish, and balance.

Now good performance can be had with relatively inexpensive plastic props, so many modelers go with those.

Unless you plan to compete in rubber duration events, you might be happier with ready made plastic props at first, and can try your hand at carving later. It's a very rewarding endeavor to see a carefully crafted and finished prop take shape, but heart breaking when all those hours of labor are destroyed early on.

Good luck in any case, and it's really good to see someone else interested in FF posting here.

Bill