Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

12 FG programming -dual rates

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 AM
davidej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 FG programming -dual rates

I have just purchased a second-hand 12FG and am having real problems in getting to grips with it. I can manage the set-up of my 7ch set easily but I have run out of model memories and thought I would go for a ‘top-of-the-range’ model.

I have managed model name, servo direction and end point fairly easily and (with difficulty) timer but I am getting really stuck on dual (not to say triple) rates and I haven’t tried mixes yet. I am a fixed wing flier and I think if I had helis, I might better understand some if the language in the manual.

1. I went to Dual Rates, set D/R 1&2 to AIL and ELE and STATUS to ON,– I don’t want any other D/Rs. The word CONDIT1 shown in the manual does not appear on the screen – is this a heli thing only?
2. I assigned switches and set their ON/OFF. I can’t understand ALTERNATE/NORMAL thing or find the screen shown in the manual which refers to four operational modes ( heli things again?)
3. I went to first screen for AFR and set Rate A at 100% and B at 60%. I set EXP for both A&B at -30. I assume this is exponential and -30 will give me a slightly soft centre on the stick. Changed from AIL to ELE and did the same
4. On the second screen for AIL it shows ACTIVE D/R 1, which seems right. For ELE it showed D/R 2 (also right) but also GROUP ( this seems to be related to CONDITION)- I left it unchanged. I changed LIN to SYM and a left SPEED at 0 for both IN and OUT
Trying this on the model, the rate switches had no effect at all. Where am I going wrong? If I can master this, I hope I will be able to move on to mixes unaided.

I have read some of the threads here and they don’t seem to help. I had hoped I would find a YouTube tutorial but no such luck. I get the feeling that (like so much electronics) the manufacturer gave a 14 year old a microcomputer and said “think of all the things we could do with this” rather than “let’s do some really useful things”. I am beginning to wish I had stuck with my 7CHP!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by davidej; 04-10-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 AM
davidej

After a bit more reading of the manual and a lot more playing with the Tranny, I think I have worked this out.

I should have left both RATE A & B at 100% then flicked the switch to the D/R position and set them both at 60%.

I am still left with a number of unanswered questions.

1. On the first AFR screen what does the S in a box at the bottom r.h.s side of the screen mean? It will change to C
2. Is ALTERNATE versus NORMAL on switch selection relevant for a normal switch? The second screen (operational modes) only comes up when a potentiometer type is selected.
3. What is CONDITION used for? This also seems to feed into GROUP versus SINGLE. Is this when, for example, you want different setting for a windy as against a still day. You could achieve that by setting it up as a different model.
4. Is DELAY of any significance to the average flier?
5. What is fine tuning VR (variable rate?) all about? Will I come across this when I get into mixing?

I stand by my comments that it is unnecessarily complex. It is like my wife’s shiny new car which has so many bells and whistles that she doesn’t even know are there let alone how to use them. I will stick with my old jalopy which does the job !

Last edited by davidej; 04-11-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidej
After a bit more reading of the manual and a lot more playing with the Tranny, I think I have worked this out.

I should have left both RATE A & B at 100% then flicked the switch to the D/R position and set them both at 60%.

I am still left with a number of unanswered questions.

1. On the first AFR screen what does the S in a box at the bottom r.h.s side of the screen mean? It will change to C
That's something we've not noticed before, and don't see it referenced anwhere in the instructions. We think it means "Separate" and "Combined", which usually is a trim function, but that feature doesn't appear to work when you change them in the AFT menu.

2. Is ALTERNATE versus NORMAL on switch selection relevant for a normal switch? The second screen (operational modes) only comes up when a potentiometer type is selected.
"Alternate" is usually used on the spring-loaded switch. It turns the function on when you pull it and turns it off when you pull it again. I.e: the function alternates "on" and "off" when you pull the switch.

3. What is CONDITION used for? This also seems to feed into GROUP versus SINGLE. Is this when, for example, you want different setting for a windy as against a still day. You could achieve that by setting it up as a different model.
Conditions allow you to customize settings for differing flight regimes used by the same model. Landing, 3D Aerobatics, etc. Gliders use conditions for Launch, Cruise, Landing, Thermal seeking, Thermalling, etc.

4. Is DELAY of any significance to the average flier?
Delay slows down when a condition or mix comes in. It's great for when you need things to sequence.

5. What is fine tuning VR (variable rate?) all about? Will I come across this when I get into mixing?
"VR" means "Variable Resistor", or one of the sliders or knobs. You use this to adjust a mix "on the fly". You can use it to adjust the mix ratio while flying.

I stand by my comments that it is unnecessarily complex. It is like my wife’s shiny new car which has so many bells and whistles that she doesn’t even know are there let alone how to use them. I will stick with my old jalopy which does the job !
The upper-level Futaba transmitters are necessarily complex because they offer many, many functions that top-level flyers have demanded. Our FAQ page talks about a lot of the features on the top systems. The 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ, 18SZ, and 18MZ all share the same programming philosophy and have many of the same functions. They program all in the same manner.

With these systems, you need to know what you want to do on the model, first. Then you can design how you want the transmitter to do that. If you don't know what you want to do with the airplane, you cannot start to program the transmitter.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:13 AM
davidej

Thanks for your help.

I will continue to explore this complex bit of kit !