Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

16SZ Questions

Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16SZ Questions

Got the Pre-order announcement for the new 16SZ today, and it looks interesting. Losing the finicky SensorTouch input on the 14SG for a color touch screen is enough to get my attention by itself.

BUT, can it read 14SG model setup files directly? Having 40+ models set up on the 14SG at this point, I'm not moving if I have to start over again with the programming...
Old 08-19-2017, 01:33 AM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also wondering what the release date is? I agree, the touch screen over the SensorTouch input is a winner for me too.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this time, no info on that is available. Due to release in early November.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:36 PM
RickVB

In answer to my question:

Would like to hear from anyone that's actually tried this, do all feature transfer exactly?

Last edited by RickVB; 11-25-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:32 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for posting that. This thread was outside the date reach I went back to answer question in when I took over monitoring this thread for Bax.

You can find a bunch of 16SZ videos here. It has exactly the same programming as the 18SZ does as well, so onything you see about the 18SZ programming also applies to the 16SZ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9...nndOL9IXJya_oQ
Old 11-26-2017, 12:42 PM
RickVB

So next question, can you give me a comparison of the feature differences between the 16SZ and the 18SZ?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:54 PM
FUTABA-RC

The 16SZ and 18SZ have the exact same programming and use the same screen.

They differ in these ways:

16SZ use the same gimbal as the 14SG
18SZ uses same gimbal as 18MZ
16SZ has a NiMH pack, 18SZ has LiFe. LiFe packs fit and work fine in the 16SZ.
The 16SZ has 2 fewer trims (T5 and T6) on the TX face.
The 16SZ is black, the 18SZ is silver.
The 16SZ is $699.99 the 18SZ is $1,099.99

So gimbal, trims on TX face, and packs are the main differences.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:12 PM
RickVB

Wow, $400 for better gimbals (everything else is inconsequential). I'm kinda surprised there's nothing else...

Two more channels too I guess, but I'm finding I rarely need more than 12, I can only remember once that I wanted 15. So going to 18 isn't worth any money to me.

Last edited by RickVB; 11-27-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:25 PM
FUTABA-RC

The 14SG gimbals are good gimbals in any case. I have never seen a complaint about them and they have been in service for a number of years.

The 16SZ is just about the best bang for your buck right now!!
Old 11-26-2017, 05:21 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

I flew with mine this weekend for the first time, just wish you had a throttle curve listed, I did my own curve in the dual rate function, will there be a throttle curve in future updates?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:01 PM
FUTABA-RC

No need to use dual rates. Go into the AFR menu
Select Throttle
Change curve type to something other than liner/line
Adjust at will

This video shows much the same for the 18MZ. Same logic for the 16SZ

The video shows using Expo2. I use the spline curve.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:22 AM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks for the quick reply, much easier then the way I did it.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 AM
RickVB

Can the 16SZ do more than one motor? That is, having more than one channel assigned to the Motor function and then having access to a curve separately for each one?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM
FUTABA-RC

Yes, but you will have to assign the second motor to one of the AUX channels. You can control it with the same stick, switch, etc. Then you will also have an AFR menu and curve for that motor as well. You can rename to AUX channel if you want.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:21 AM
JoeyCoates

Hey Bill, I have a question for you. Other than supporting newer protocols (Fasttest etc.) what are the major differences between the 14mz and the 16sz? I have the 2.4 module in my 14mz and agree that the 16sz is the best bang for your buck right now, just not enough difference between the 18sz and the 16sz to support the price difference. I would not guess that I can transfer the models between the 14mz and 16sz but do not know for sure.

My son is now getting into flying so I need to buy another system, the 14mz has never let me down and performs perfectly to this day but having the telemetry abilities without having to use the EagleTree system would be nice!

Thanks for your help
Old 12-20-2017, 09:26 AM
RickVB

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC View Post
Yes, but you will have to assign the second motor to one of the AUX channels. You can control it with the same stick, switch, etc. Then you will also have an AFR menu and curve for that motor as well. You can rename to AUX channel if you want.
Bill, sorry I missed your answer for a while. I don't think you understand my question. I asked if you can assign a MOTOR function to more than one channel. What you described is the way the 14SG worked, under which there is only one curve available; changing one changes both channels. Are you saying there actually are separate curves in the 16SZ?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by JoeyCoates View Post
Hey Bill, I have a question for you. Other than supporting newer protocols (Fasttest etc.) what are the major differences between the 14mz and the 16sz? I have the 2.4 module in my 14mz and agree that the 16sz is the best bang for your buck right now, just not enough difference between the 18sz and the 16sz to support the price difference. I would not guess that I can transfer the models between the 14mz and 16sz but do not know for sure.
No, you cannot go from the 14MZ to the 16SZ. You can do it by finding someone with a 18MZ then load your models onto the 18MZ, then there is a converter from the 18MZ to the 18SZ/16SZ.

The programming is very similar to the 14MZ and as you noted allows the use of the FAASTest telemetry. But it also adds the use of the S-FHSS/T-FHSS protocols as well, which expands the choice of receivers by a good deal.

The other big difference is the TX battery, it comes with a NiMH, but a LiFe pack fits as well. Both are a big improvement over the 14MZ packs which don't last long and are harder to find by the day.

The 16SZ/18SZ touchscreen is also an improvement over the 14MZ, which can lose sensitivity over time. Honestly for the money I think it is absolutely worth getting a newer radio. the 14 was a great radio, but it is long in the tooth now, especially if you have not sent it in for periodic service/check overs.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:52 PM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by RickVB View Post
Bill, sorry I missed your answer for a while. I don't think you understand my question. I asked if you can assign a MOTOR function to more than one channel. What you described is the way the 14SG worked, under which there is only one curve available; changing one changes both channels. Are you saying there actually are separate curves in the 16SZ?
You can assign MOTOR to more than one channel, but you only get the single MOTOR function AFR curve. Using the method I noted above lets you have a discrete curve for each motor.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 PM
JoeyCoates

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC View Post
No, you cannot go from the 14MZ to the 16SZ. You can do it by finding someone with a 18MZ then load your models onto the 18MZ, then there is a converter from the 18MZ to the 18SZ/16SZ.

The programming is very similar to the 14MZ and as you noted allows the use of the FAASTest telemetry. But it also adds the use of the S-FHSS/T-FHSS protocols as well, which expands the choice of receivers by a good deal.

The other big difference is the TX battery, it comes with a NiMH, but a LiFe pack fits as well. Both are a big improvement over the 14MZ packs which don't last long and are harder to find by the day.

The 16SZ/18SZ touchscreen is also an improvement over the 14MZ, which can lose sensitivity over time. Honestly for the money I think it is absolutely worth getting a newer radio. the 14 was a great radio, but it is long in the tooth now, especially if you have not sent it in for periodic service/check overs.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Bill, pretty well what I was thinking as well. Now that you mention it I did have to send my 14mz into Hobby Services to have the screen replaced a few years back at which time it was gone over. And you're not lying about the 14mz being the great white battery eater. It sucks down the juice, always have two extra charged batteries when I go flying and the batteries themselves only last for a few seasons. Looks like a 16sz might be in my future then!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:36 PM
kman527

Default Help with programming 16SZ

Just got the 16SZ a few days ago and am loving the touch screen - I found using a pen with a stylus is MUCH easier that trying to fat finger the screen. The manual like all Futaba manuals is a Reference Manual, not a User Manual. I found it pretty difficult to use the manual even with the help of the Chip Hyde youtube videos.

Does anyone have any step by step directions to use some of the more complex functions? I use Ch 1 & 6 for ailerons and 2 & 7 for elevators. Cannot figure out how to get dual rates on the on the secondary channels.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by kman527 View Post
Just got the 16SZ a few days ago and am loving the touch screen - I found using a pen with a stylus is MUCH easier that trying to fat finger the screen. The manual like all Futaba manuals is a Reference Manual, not a User Manual. I found it pretty difficult to use the manual even with the help of the Chip Hyde youtube videos.

Does anyone have any step by step directions to use some of the more complex functions? I use Ch 1 & 6 for ailerons and 2 & 7 for elevators. Cannot figure out how to get dual rates on the on the secondary channels.
Hi - How do you have your wing type selected in the model setup menu. Generally for a 2 aileron servo wing the second aileron will follow automatically.

Give me a little more info and I am sure we can sort it out for you.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
kman527

Of course selecting the wing type fixed the issue. I dare say I have graduated from kindergarten on my way to graduation. Thanks for the quick reply and hint...
Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 PM
FUTABA-RC

Glad it worked out!! And I won't bore you with the high number of "DOH!!!!" moments I had starting with the 14MZ.

Then as you get to know the radio better you;ll start finding all kinds of cool ways to do things that you never knew you wanted to do!!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 AM
RickVB

Bill, actually I'm fairly disappointed that they decided to change so much in the HMI from the 14SG. I understand a touch screen lends itself to different behavior than a wheel and button input, but there is no reason I can see for many of the changes in the order and layout of screens that the 16SZ presents. I have found no advantages in the "new way" as of yet, so all it is is different. And different is not always better, sometimes it's just different, which is a disadvantage. I hope Futaba isn't falling into the Microsoft trap.

Oh, and the keyboard layout for text input is just lazy programming. It's painful to use...

Last edited by RickVB; 01-05-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 AM
RickVB

Oh, and I really *hate* the fact that the only way to get the screen to respond reliably is to use a stylus. Who the heck carries a stylus at the flying field? The result is the ease of input is not much better than the 14SG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.