Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba 2.4 receiver antenna

Old 04-12-2018, 01:31 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 2.4 receiver antenna

I have been fooling with RC aircraft for many years and somewhere along the way, I acquired several 2.4 receiver antennae. These are just the antenna wire, about five or six inches total length that snap on to the receiver printed circuit board. I have recently bought a car, also 2.4 Futaba radio equipped. The antenna on this dude is only about 2 inches total length and protrudes vertically through a hole in the body. At times, I lose signal if I run the car out quite a ways from where I am standing. I am wondering if the antenna on the car receiver has been cut off or broken and if putting one of these aircraft receiver antenna wires on it would solve this problem. So I guess I'm asking if the actual receiver wires on a car is different from an airplane even though both are 2.4 ghz Futaba. Would replacing the antenna wire on the car receiver solve this problem?

I have read someplace that only the last inch or so of this antenna wire, the exposed portion, is the actual antenna. The rest is just additional wire to get the antenna portion where you want it. If so, wouldn't cutting it off make it inoperable? If that is the case, and the antenna in this car has been cut off, it shouldn't work at all, right? So maybe I'm on the wrong track here. How do I keep this thing from losing signal out about 100 yards or so?

I need some help here, guys.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:59 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The 2.4 antennas are actually very small diameter coaxial cable. The very ends, that look like silver wire, is the center piece of the coax and is the actual antenna. You can try using a longer RX antenna to see if that improves range for you. There is a very long antenna used in large planes so the theory is the same. Which radio and RX are you using?? 100 yards is sort of pushing most surface radios. I know when I ran boats we would rarely get that far out.