Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

18mz touch screen

Old 12-23-2018, 05:11 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 18mz touch screen

I am thinking of investing in a 18mz. However, I would like to find out if the touch screen material for the 18mz is made out of plastic or glass? I am asking this because I have experienced a degradation of the original plastic touch screen in my 14mz, which I will be replacing with a glass version from a third party vendor. I hope that the 18mz uses a glass touch screen.

Last edited by rajul; 12-23-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:35 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

That I will have to ask about. I do know that of the several 18MZs I have personal knowledge of, including mine, none of the screens ever looked like that. But then again neither did any of the numerous 14MZs I used and saw. How did that happen?
Old 12-23-2018, 07:58 PM
rajul

Hi Bill, my 14mz is 10-year old but still works great. It was purchased in 2008. The original screen had lost its touch sensitivity over time. In 2012, Futaba Japan changed the touchscreen to a more sensitive one. This would make the current screen that I have about 6 years old. The touch sensitivity is still good but there is some kind of polymeric crazing happening now. Could be a bad batch? I observed this deterioration in the touch screen over the last couple years. The radio goes through normal use and normal storage, and I keep it clean from contamination. As you can see from the front bezel in the photo, it is in great shape still, apart from the touch screen. The TFT display itself is OK. I have the glass touch panel from 0Gravity on the way.

Therefore, I would like to find out if the 18mz uses a plastic or glass touch panel? I think glass touch panel will be much more lasting, as used in mobile devices.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:52 PM
FUTABA-RC

Interesting. I have never seen a 14MZ do that. But anything made by man can fail. Looking at my 18MZ I cannot tell if it is glass or plastic. But every one of them I know is working just fine. I'll confirm the construction, but with Christmas it may be a few days before I hear anything.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, never seen that. I have a 14MZ that is 10 years old and a 18MZ that is at least 6 years old and both are perfect, like the day I got them.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 AM
rajul

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
Interesting. I have never seen a 14MZ do that. But anything made by man can fail. Looking at my 18MZ I cannot tell if it is glass or plastic. But every one of them I know is working just fine. I'll confirm the construction, but with Christmas it may be a few days before I hear anything.
Hello Bill, did you manage to confirm if the 18MZ uses a glass or plastic touch panel? Thanks
Old 01-11-2019, 08:22 AM
FUTABA-RC

Sorry, forgot to get back on this. The surface panel is a plastic material. I have been told that the type of failure shown in your first picture is extremely rare. FWIW my original 14MZ is still in use by a guy in Arizona, no issues. I have also not seen anyone with an 18MZ have any sort of issue like the photo you [posted.

Hope that helps.