Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

FUTABA 9C Super battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 AM
grounded64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUTABA 9C Super battery drain

Hi, I'm new to the forum so thank you for accepting me..

I have been flying RC for many years but never experienced the following....

Some years ago I was given a second hand 9C Super radio but have only just got around to looking at it!!!

I bought a new Nimh battery for it 9.6V 2500 mAh, which I fully charged and installed correctly in the transmitter.

Unfortunately, on turning on the Tx to set up a model, the battery drained at an alarming rate and was down to 8V in under 4 minutes!!!

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas please??

Thanks a lot
Old 07-31-2019, 11:13 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would cycle the battery to see if it is holding the proper capacity. Also if this operating on 72 mhz you should always extend the ant at least halfway when the transmitter is turned on to avoid the RF output board overheating.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:59 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Apparent lack of capacity isn't unusual with a NiMh battery until they are cycled a few times.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:31 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Always a good idea to do a forming charge as noted above. Charge the pack and cycle down to 1.1 volts per cell. Then charge again. After a couple of time doing that it should act normally.

Quick reminder, this is not an open discussion forum. I do my best to answer as quickly as I can, but sometimes it may take a few hours.

Thanks.