Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba 16SZ won’t link at all.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 PM
GuyIncognito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba 16SZ won’t link at all.

My Futaba 16SZ Tx will not link to anything. It is brand new. It linked to a R617FS once. Then never linked again. It will not link to any other receiver especially a R6008HS of which I have three. Am I missing something? I have done everything on every video, forum, etc. Everything in all the manuals to the letter and nothing. All the LEDs stay red. I have yet to see a green LED. Please help. I have been loyal to Futaba for over forty years. If this doesn’t get solved by the end of this week The Tx is going back and that will be it for Futaba forever. I really hate this transmitter so far.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:29 AM
kdunlap757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy, first go to page 79 <linkage> or in the pdf manual it's page 81 of the manual. This table lists the protocols (FAAST/FHSS-T etc) that you have to use to link to a specific receiver. Look up your receiver by model and then reference the protocol to use. The R6008HS uses FASST MULTI and no other protocol. Next make sure that the receiver is in the proper mode (Normal or Highspeed). I recommend that the first time you bind that you leave (or return) the receiver to the "Normal mode" Then disconnect the receiver battery, turn on the xmitter, plug in the receiver battery and press and hold the Link/Mode switch for 2 seconds. Then press link on the transmitter. If you get an orange light you are in the wrong mode. Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:24 AM
GuyIncognito

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this and it did not work either. That’s what’s frustrating. It seems like I have tried everything I have ever known about radios and nothing works . I have contacted futaba but good luck on that - they were of no help. I am totally lost. Something must be wrong with the radio because none of my receivers will link now or maybe I’m just old and stupid.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:24 PM
GuyIncognito

It turns out that you cant link a receiver in helicopter mode when the RF is off. This is all new to me. Found this by accident. No where in the manual or online does it say this. VERY VERY WEIRD especially since it is the 16SZH helicopter radio. Holy brain fart on Futabas part. Actually they could have included this in the Chip Hyde video. Anyone else run into this?

Last edited by GuyIncognito; 03-11-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:38 PM
kdunlap757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a general rule, I never turn off my RF. Also, here's another one, if you link with a 7.4v battery and then set a throttle fail safe, you can't use a 6V battery without the receiver stuck in failsafe. If you change batteries you have to rebind...
Old 03-12-2020, 07:52 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry guys. First let me remind everyone this is not an open discussion forum. I missed this thread somehow.

First, you cannot link any system without having the RF on. How else does the TX talk to the RX? Helicopter mode, whatever you mean by that, has nothing to do with it.

Second, all FASST RX link using the button on the RX. All FASSTest RXs are linked using the transmitter.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 AM
junbisayagid

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
Thanks for the reply. I have tried this and it did not work either. That’s what’s frustrating. It seems like I have tried everything I have ever known about radios and nothing works . I have contacted futaba but good luck on that - they were of no help. I am totally lost. Something must be wrong with the radio because none of my receivers will link now or maybe I’m just old and stupid.

same thing here. i just got the futaba 16sz yesterday and i tried to link with its rcvr, and doesnt work. i looked in the you tube video and tried all the combination, but no luck. but what is bad with xmtr, there s rf off with you turn on, the model select wont chg. there s no page 1/2 to go to new model to type your new model name. when you you link, the rcvr will chg to green led light for 1 second the go back to red. the rf off is still on thee bottom right. on the the display it s saying link connected but there s no light next that indicates link just like in the futaba you tube video. i called every hour for 4 hrs right now but no luck at this time. i ll keep calling, if no answer, im going to return this. i thought, when i bought from futaba company, i ll expect a good customer service

Last edited by junbisayagid; 10-13-2020 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
James Sims (02-05-2022)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:25 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by junbisayagid
same thing here. i just got the futaba 16sz yesterday and i tried to link with its rcvr, and doesnt work. i looked in the you tube video and tried all the combination, but no luck. but what is bad with xmtr, there s rf off with you turn on, the model select wont chg. there s no page 1/2 to go to new model to type your new model name. when you you link, the rcvr will chg to green led light for 1 second the go back to red. the rf off is still on thee bottom right. on the the display it s saying link connected but there s no light next that indicates link just like in the futaba you tube video. i called every hour for 4 hrs right now but no luck at this time. i ll keep calling, if no answer, im going to return this. i thought, when i bought from futaba company, i ll expect a good customer service

OK, let's start fresh.

First, which RX?
If it is a FASSTest RX you link using the SYSTEM TYPE menu under LINKAGE. Select either 12-CH FAASTest or 18CH FASSTest. Then follow procedure in the manual.
If it is a FASST RX you must select the correct protocol (FASST 7-channel or FASST Multi depending on the RX).
Then you link using the button on the RX.

I always recycle power on both the TX and RX after linking as well.

But you are saying that when you turn the TX on it says "RF OFF"?
It should allow you to select to turn it on. This usually shows up when a switch or condition is on, etc.
You can try removing the battery for a couple of minutes, then re-connecting it and see what happens.

Also, where are you located? The FutabaUSA location can only handle North America region radios. If you are someplace else then you need to contact your closest service facility.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:59 AM
junbisayagid

i forgot , im n san diego, california
Old 10-13-2020, 12:25 PM
junbisayagid

how do u change the RF OFF to on air on futaba 16 sz. on the pge 23, it shows you but it doesnt work forme on my brand new futaba on which im starting to set uo
Old 10-13-2020, 12:29 PM
junbisayagid

got it guys, the rf off is gone. on the book page 23, it said just press the right menu bottom the power up. but doesnt work. so, what i did, i pushed the two menu bottons and power up - RF OFF is gone!
Old 10-13-2020, 12:57 PM
junbisayagid

got it! just pressed and hold the two menu buttons then turn on.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:07 PM
FUTABA-RC

You should only need to press one of the two side by side power buttons between the sticks to turn on power. The other procedure is to turn the RF off to save battery during set up if you want. To get out of that you should only need to turn off the power and wait for it to shut down fully, then turn it back on with one of the 2 power buttons.

If that is not the case then there is something wrong with your radio and it needs to be sent in for service.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:00 PM
junbisayagid

i found the solution: i pressed both home and menu then pressed the switch ON. then it will display a question, just answer YES
Old 11-01-2020, 01:34 PM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by junbisayagid
i found the solution: i pressed both home and menu then pressed the switch ON. then it will display a question, just answer YES
Once again, if the transmitter is working normally all you need to do is push the power button between the sticks to turn it on. If you need to do anything else, then you have a faulty TX and I suggest sending it in to your nearest service facility to be checked out.