Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

18 SZA Transmitter Antenna Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 03:48 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 18 SZA Transmitter Antenna Orientation

Hi Folks.
I have 111 flights on one of my turbine jets and perhaps 1/2 dozen times at various flying sites I get a glitch or a hold when the model is far right of the field.

Yesterday I was flying and when the jet was aprox 250' high but about 1500' to my right, I was totally locked out. I had no control. The fail safe kicked in on the turbine and shut it down.I was frantically moving the sticks and most likely changed my body position relative to the model. When the signal was restored the model started snap rolling from my inputs. I landed uneventfully.

My friend and I I have a theory that the orientation of my transmitters antenna in relation to where the model was in the sky was such that the tip of the antenna was pointing at the model. I generally keep my body perpendicular to the runway and dont move to face the model. Here is how I would have been standing and how the antenna was orientated.

Do you think this

would have caused the signal loss?
Old 06-22-2020, 03:49 AM
MaJ. Woody

It seems that even at 90 degrees I could still be at the edge of the reception on the far end of either side of the runway because I never turn to face the model.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:53 AM
MaJ. Woody

It seems to me that arranging the antenna straight up would be best for how I hold the transmitter and stand. That would point the tip toward my head.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:54 AM
MaJ. Woody

What about this downward facing arrangement?

Old 06-22-2020, 03:57 AM
MaJ. Woody

Last question:
Since I cant store the transmitter in its case in the same orientation I will have it while flying, will repeated rotation of the plastic antenna cause the coaxial antenna inside of it to ultimately break?
Old 06-22-2020, 06:08 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Hi Folks.
I have 111 flights on one of my turbine jets and perhaps 1/2 dozen times at various flying sites I get a glitch or a hold when the model is far right of the field.

Yesterday I was flying and when the jet was aprox 250' high but about 1500' to my right, I was totally locked out. I had no control. The fail safe kicked in on the turbine and shut it down.I was frantically moving the sticks and most likely changed my body position relative to the model. When the signal was restored the model started snap rolling from my inputs. I landed uneventfully.

My friend and I I have a theory that the orientation of my transmitters antenna in relation to where the model was in the sky was such that the tip of the antenna was pointing at the model. I generally keep my body perpendicular to the runway and dont move to face the model. Here is how I would have been standing and how the antenna was orientated.

Do you think this

would have caused the signal loss?
I’ve had the same loss of control with my 18SZ. Fortunately, mine wasn’t long enough to go into turbine fail safe. I’ve been keeping the antenna straight with the end pointing towards the ground. I came off of both German Radios, because all of my buddies flying FUT have said that they have never had a transmission/reception issues. Has FUT transmission antennas kept up with the new receivers and their antennas?
Old 06-22-2020, 06:34 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes my RX antennas are 90 degrees apart and away from any carbon and components. Here is a picture:

Old 06-22-2020, 06:40 AM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two antennas are orientated at 90 degrees to each other but are close together. Ideally they should be located farther apart.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:04 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Guys, once more let me remind you that this specific forum is not an open discussion forum. Sorry, I cleaned up the thread to remove other posts.

FWIW on mine I generally point the antenna down and away from me. I keep the tip pointed at the ground.

None of my radios has ever had an issue but moving the antenna to put the TX in my case.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:06 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Has FUT transmission antennas kept up with the new receivers and their antennas?
Not sure what you mean. However, ALL 2.4 transmitter antennas have a null off the tip. You cannot point the tip at the aircraft. Does not matter what brand you are using.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:08 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by wingster
The two antennas are orientated at 90 degrees to each other but are close together. Ideally they should be located farther apart.

Agreed. I generally get them apart from each other to limit the potential for blanking by carbon fiber, tanks, etc.

Please keep in mind this is not an open discussion forum. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:06 PM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks for the feedback Bill!
Old 06-22-2020, 12:50 PM
MaJ. Woody

Hi Bill.
is this better? Its as far apart as I can get without a major change.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:14 PM
FUTABA-RC

I'd say that is an improvement for sure. But the biggest thing is to NEVER point the TX antenna at the model. I've seen so many problems with the off the right side thing. Even bit me a few times. I like down towards the ground or straight up. Strongest signal is off the sides and that is what you want the model to "see".
Old 06-22-2020, 04:13 PM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Bill for your fast replies. I will be sure to point the antenna Down or up as you suggest.
Dom
Old 06-22-2020, 04:51 PM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Thanks Bill for your fast replies. I will be sure to point the antenna Down or up as you suggest.
Dom
No worries. It's what I get paid the XL tee-shirts for
Old 06-24-2020, 07:07 AM
ifly3d

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by futaba-rc
no worries. It's what i get paid the xl tee-shirts for

lol lol