Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Inhibiting a switch or surface when another switch is in a certain position? (18SZ)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 03:43 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Question Inhibiting a switch or surface when another switch is in a certain position? (18SZ)

Hello Futaba Friends,

I am working on a model (not a kit) with a swing wing. The swing actuation is on a 3 position Switch (Switch SC, channel 10).
The outboard wing that gets swung fwd/aft, has a flap that is also on a 3 position switch (Switch SD, channel 11).
This is a scale model. When the wing is swung to mid or aft position, and if I decide to deflect the flap (erroneously) to it's mid or full down position, it will allow a clash or collision of the flap into the inboard wing, which is not good! Parts will very likely break...

I've also added 3 Flight Conditions, that are defined relative to the position of the 3 position Sweep Switch SC. I'm not an expert at conditions - I've never had to use them. The conditions are meant to be Wing Fwd Flight, Wing Mid Position Flight, and Wing Aft Flight.

So, Question: Is there a way (or what is the best way?) to eliminate the chance of a flap to wing clash (from the user flipping a switch out of order) on the 18SZ? I'm looking at either a PMix, or perhaps set to where Switch SC is at, or related to the Flight Conditions.

So from a logic type description:
If Switch SC is Wing Forward, Switch SD is allowed to be in any position.
If Switch SC is Wing Mid, Switch SD (or atleast the flap it controls) must be moved to the up position.
If Switch SC is Wing Aft, switch SD (or atleast the flap it controls) must be moved to the up position.

Thanks for any suggestions! I figured I'd try here before calling Futaba.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:09 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Use Conditions and set the AFR for flaps to zero movement when in the flight arrangement where you do not want flaps.
The following users liked this post:
Ron S (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Ron S

Wow Bill, thank you for the quick reply!

After hitting a few buttons, and going back-n-forth thru a few screens, it appears to either be working on my Servo Monitor screen, or I'm 95% there... I'll check on the model tomorrow, but I think you've resolved it!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:40 PM
FUTABA-RC

Let me know how it goes. Once you grasp a couple of the Futaba programming concepts it comes together fast.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:08 PM
Ron S

Hi Bill,
I've been using Futaba ever since about 1983. But first time I've had a real need to use conditions - I normally use PMixes.. This model is a different beast though..

I ran your suggestions on the model, and it works great! I had to add a proper offset value to drive the flap to the proper 0 degree deflection on the AFR screens, and also added a Speed In/Out value on my wings Fwd Condition, but now I can operate the switches freely without creating a clash condition. I really appreciate the help!!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:41 PM
FUTABA-RC

Conditions are the key to getting the most out of these radios. Let me know if you need anything else.