Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Buddy box compatibility

Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 AM
hellcat 1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buddy box compatibility

Page 57 of the 14SG manual says a 7C can be used as a student control, but when trying this i get a low voltage alarm on the 7C. I can understand this as the 14Sg is a 6.7 volt system and the 7C is a 10 volt system. Is there any way to make this work?
Old 07-30-2021, 12:31 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is what the head service tech had to say:
I had run into this before, the customer ended up just powering the T7C on and the issue went away..... However I'm not sure if that is possibly damaging to the T14SG/vice versa.
I do think in this instance usually you will see the T12FG trainer cord being used but we do not have a lot of documentation on it so I'm not sure if it steps up the voltage or steps down.
Or if the 12FG cable allows for the signal and power to be transferred and not the power.
Not sure that helps, but it is a start. Too many combinations for anyone to have experience with all of them.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:42 PM
hellcat 1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried that before the post and the 14SG screen shows the correct voltage. I wasn't sure if that would possobly damage the 14SG so didn't leave it on very long. I suspect the 14Sg has a voltage reulator that is taking care of the higher voltage in the 7C. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:01 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if they still do it but Futaba used to sell a buddy cord for use between the different voltage systems. I had a student who purchased one of the Futaba low voltage systems and experienced this issue. He purchased the correct buddy cord and both TXs had to be turned on.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:46 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

not sure either, you'd have to contact service directly.