Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Charging a Life battery in my Fut 8UAF Tx.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Charging a Life battery in my Fut 8UAF Tx.

I plan on switching from using a NiMH Tx battery in my Fut 8UAF radio to a 3S 9.9v Life battery. Can I safely charge the Life battery via its additional power lead while it is connected to the Tx like I use to with the NIMH battery ?
Old 05-27-2024, 07:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

If it really has two power leads, along with the balance lead, then you can. Just don't try to wire it up to the existing charge port and try to use the NiMh charger to charge it. Also a good idea not to turn on the TX when charging - the charge current may be a little too high for the electronics.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:22 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

your tx is old enough to need 9 volts?

most newer can use 2 cel life, 6.6
Old 05-28-2024, 03:18 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tedsander
If it really has two power leads, along with the balance lead, then you can. Just don't try to wire it up to the existing charge port and try to use the NiMh charger to charge it. Also a good idea not to turn on the TX when charging - the charge current may be a little too high for the electronics.
Tedsander, many thanks
Old 05-28-2024, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by mongo
your tx is old enough to need 9 volts?

most newer can use 2 cel life, 6.6
My Tx is a 1995 Fut 8UAF modular unit that has been changed from 72 to 2.4 with a FrSky module which work great and operates on 9.6 v. Every couple of years I send it to Tom at Radio South for a general check. All my buddies say get a new radio, but this one work great and I love the feel of it in my hands.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a diode in the charge line if you ae using the charging jack to charge it with that will affect the voltage that the charger is reading. What type charger are you using and will you be using the balance plug on the battery? I have a 8U that I still use with a Hitec 2.4 module in it. I take the battery out to charge it. You have to open the door to get to the balance plug so why not just take the battery out to charge it. That is a whole lot safer if you should have an issue with heat anyway.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see where you said to use the extra power lead. It will be fine to charge it that way.